PDA

View Full Version : CAA SEP Revalidation

EIPCW
28th Apr 2009, 21:16
Hello there,

By pure stupidity on my behalf I managed to let my SEP rating lapse. The worst thing is I did have the 12 hours flying in the second year plus the 1 hour flight with an instructor, I just never managed to get the licence validated by an examiner. My rating is only out of date by a couple of months but the CAA insist that it should have been revalidated within 3 months of expiry (so lasors says, haven't actually contacted the CAA)

So my question is why do the CAA insist on an examiner validating it 3 months prior to its expiry? I don't understand why it cant be revalidated after it has expired once all flight experience has taken place within the period it was in date.

Also if anybody can clarify my situation now, would I be right in thinking that I will have to complete the skills test all over again? Or are there any examiners out there who would backdate a revalidation form/licence :oh: :oh:

Thanks in advance

EIPCW

Keygrip
28th Apr 2009, 23:05
Bugger!

The CAA don't insist that you hsave it revalidated three months early.

They (JAA, not CAA) offer you the opportunity - just in case you have trouble finding an examiner at last minute.

Now that it has actually expired, it's (legally) "game over". Proficiency check with an examiner.

With regard to backdating the signature - illegal. If *you* know anybody who may do it for you, you ask them quietly in a dark corner. Don't expect to get a "Yes" answer on these public pages.

If you asked me..."No!".

I'm afraid it's another one of those real life lessons in responsibility.

EIPCW
28th Apr 2009, 23:51
Keygrip

I understand the legalities you mention behind an expired sep rating. All I'm asking is why does this need to be revalidated within the 3 months prior to its expiry? I have the 12 hours flown in the 12 months prior to the ratings expiry, plus the 1 hour with an instructor so I dont see why it's not acceptable to sign me off after the rating has expired and for the revalidation to commence from the date the pevious rating expired.

I dont need to be told by you about a life lesson in responsibility, I mentioned at the start of my previous post about it been my own stupidity for letting it lapse (due to circumstances we wont go into)

It's just a silly rule I feel the JAA have got wrong

Cheers

Keygrip
29th Apr 2009, 00:23
Well thanks for the attitude - I was trying to be helpful.

Look at it another way.

You go fly with your expired rating and have an incident. then what?

"Oh, sorry. M'lud, me licence wuzz only a few months out of date".

Is your car insured? Is your car MOT'd? (or whatever the local legal equivalent is).

No point in having licences if you don't care to renew them ...sod it, just let them expire but keep doing it?

I did have sympathy for you. Gone now.

BEagle
29th Apr 2009, 06:40
The only stupid part comes from the UK CAA's own cock-up regarding revalidation signatures.

The JAA allows you to have your licence signed if you elect to revalidate 'by experience' as soon as you have the 12 hours including 1 hr training flight in the second 12 month period. You may only revlaidate by LPC (not the whole PPL Skill Test) in the final 3 months of the period.

However, someone at the CAA mis-read it. And won't admit to it. So even if you flew all 12 hours including 1 hr training flight in the first week of your second 12 month period, you'd have to wait another 9 months just for a signature - ridiculous and caused totally by a CAA cock-up.

EIPCW, these days Examiners may not sign retrospectively. No good reason, I agree. But them's the €uro-rules, I'm afraid.

You will need to renew your SEP Class Rating by flying a Licensing Skill Test with an Examiner. Again, not the complete PPL Skill Test and it shouldn't take more than an hour. Your SEP Class Rating will then be valid for a further 24 months from the date of the LST.

DB6
29th Apr 2009, 07:03
EIPCW, here's a suggestion (and I'm not joking. Much). Become a politician, campaign for election, get elected, gather popular support, and GET US OUT OF EUROPE, as those are the tossers you have to blame.......:ok:.
Yes it's farcical but you'll find plenty of examples of that all over the place. Don't make the mistake of thinking it's anything to do with logic, or flight safety..........

BigGrecian
29th Apr 2009, 12:51
Or are there any examiners out there who would backdate a revalidation form/licence

I utterly despair at this comment, and if that's your attitude - I would hope that no one signed your rating revalidation under any circumstances.

EIPCW
29th Apr 2009, 15:54
BigGrecian

Cool the jets there!!! I'm not looking to get anything signed illegally, it was put out there to see what examiners views on the subject were and if that's what some were doing. I wasn't expecting a reply so say " send me your licence and ill sign you off "

All I wanted to know was why it needed to be revalidated in the 3 months prior to its expiry and it seems from some of the replies that the CAA got this one wrong.

Keygrip, if I did offended you with the previous post I do appolagise. It was very late in the night (for me) when I replied :ok: :ok: