PDA

View Full Version : Magnicharters Bends a Boeing

captainspeaking
28th Apr 2009, 09:33
A Magnicharters B737-200 made a belly landing at Guadalajara yesterday (27th) after the u/c failed to extend completely. No casualties. But I wonder how much damage was done? And how many aircraft survive a belly landing to fly again, I wonder.

Mexico: Magnicharters (http://www.airlineupdate.com/airlines/airline_profiles/airlines_mexico/magnicharters.htm)

Rainboe
28th Apr 2009, 11:09
If it was a noseleg, damage would be very minor. A main leg would cause problems- severe damage to engine, flaps and possibly wing. However, if it was a 737-200, repair would not be worthwhile. They are simply being run out of service now as and when they crash/get bent/break or develop problems. They are also very uneconomic. They use much more fuel (and noise) than one of the later -300 onwards models for much fewer passengers.

captainspeaking
28th Apr 2009, 11:24
However, if it was a 737-200, repair would not be worthwhile.

That's what I figured. Also, Magnicharters is hardly flavour of the month with the Mexican DGAC, and I don't see them getting too much encouragement.
I haven't seen a foto yet, so it's hard to assess just how dinged the poor old thing is.

UPDATE: I just found a pic, but it's still hard to get a feel for how damaged the fuselage and engine pods are.
Magnicharters accident - 27 April 2009 (http://www.airlineupdate.com/airlines/airline_extra/accidents/accident_reports/magnicharters_27apr09.htm)

Rainboe
28th Apr 2009, 12:56
Looks like both main legs failed to extend, so damage probably limited to both engines and cowlings. Flaps would be fully extended to reduce speed as much as possible, and may well be undamaged apart from the inboard sections. Actual fuselage damage zero probably. But -200s are parked up everywhere and have zero hull value, and just not worth repair of engine mounts which took the load.

ImPlaneCrazy
28th Apr 2009, 16:43
Things are looking pretty grim in Mexico at the moment eh!

1 x Earthquake
1 x Swine Flu outbreak

Can't say i'd want to add this to my list if I was one of the passengers.