PDA

View Full Version : Hold Baggage - Pooling

A2QFI
28th Apr 2009, 06:38
If I and my partner turn up at check in with a total allowance of 40kg to check in, why does it bother anybody if the cases total 40 but are actually 22 and 18! Is it is an excuse to charge for 2kg XS on one case and squeeze some more money out of the passengers, or is there some sensible reason? I know about the individual weight limit for a single checked in item but this does apply on the figures I have quoted.

Capot
28th Apr 2009, 07:52
Why not repack so that each bag weighs 20Kg, and relax?

They might or might not let you pool, but you'll get enough hassle between check-in and take-off at the best of times so why invite some more?

TSR2
28th Apr 2009, 08:15
Depends on the airline in question.

Some airlines do not allow pooling of luggage, whilst others do subject to a maximum weight limit on any one piece.

A2QFI
28th Apr 2009, 08:24
I am aware of the individual weight limits and I am aware that some airlines may, or may not, allow pooling. My question is why might they not? If two people can have 40 kgs between them what is the problem for the airline if it is 22 plus 18? I think it is a money maker and nobody has yet told me anything different.

fireblade2000uk
28th Apr 2009, 08:37
......and ask for evidence of when the check-in scales were last calibrated. Many a time I've watched the scales show weight prior to a bag getting near it! Someone tried this on with me in Turkey last year, I kicked up a fuss and didnt have to pay. The arguement was over 2 kilos on one bag out of 5 being checked, I was under our limit on aggregate.

PAXboy
28th Apr 2009, 09:35
A2QFIMy question is why might they not?Money.

NZScion
28th Apr 2009, 09:47
Some airlines may have OH&S reasons for not allowing bags above a particular weight. It varies, however most airlines in Aus/NZ have a 32kg per piece maximum. How much you are permitted to check in for free per piece is again up to the airline in particular.

OFSO
28th Apr 2009, 10:00
fireblade said: Many a time I've watched the scales show weight prior to a bag getting near it!

Why do the words "Ryanair" and "Stansted" appear in my mind ?

If you're a kilo over, saying "but it weighed ---- less on that unallocated check-in over there" frequently has the desired effect.

The Real Slim Shady
28th Apr 2009, 10:08
It's quite straightforward: you buy a ticket and you get, say, 20kgs hold baggage allowance with THAT ticket.

Buy 2 tickets and you get 2 discrete sets of 20Kg allowance, not 40Kgs between the 2 of you.

As was said, weight is money!

If we get charged for excess, how come we don't get a refund for less than 20Kgs?

TotalBeginner
29th Apr 2009, 23:01
Of course it's to make money and provided they state in their terms and conditions that this is how they operate, I don't see what the problem is. If you don't like it, don't fly with them. Airlines that do allow baggage pooling, normally only permit it for passengers who share the same PNR locator.

BladePilot
30th Apr 2009, 18:57
Airport scales are notoriously unreliable and aren't checked often enough for accurate readings to be 100% guaranteed. Perhaps it's time a passenger took the airlines to task since they seem intend on squeezing every last cent out of their customers using unreliable measuring devices. Could this be construed as Fraud or Airways (Highways) Robbery?

NMO > Weights and Measures Legislation (http://www.nmo.dius.gov.uk/content.aspx?SC_ID=257)

Weights and measure legislation should be brought to bear on the likes of FR:ok:

A2QFI
30th Apr 2009, 19:23
I browsed through the link in the previous post and, beyond coming across some very relevant stickers which have to be used on weghing machines, I couldn't find anything about periodic calibration/testing. Everything electrical in my workplace has a dated inspection sticker on it so where is it on airport luggage weighing machine and how often should they be tested, please?

TotalBeginner
30th Apr 2009, 21:29
where is it on airport luggage weighing machine and how often should they be tested, please?

At the Essex airport where I work, the scales are all checked by Trading Standards and have a sticker just inside the glass window. It is dated from the last calibration and states when the next one is due.

Final 3 Greens
1st May 2009, 05:15
Ryanair's approach to non pooling of hold luggage is a disgrace and a rip off.

They will accept multiple pax on the same booking and will accept a common payment for this, but then refuse to accept the combining of luggage up to the limit that the combined bookings allow (x times 15kg.)

Vote with your feet.

wiggy
1st May 2009, 09:04
Primarily money for the airline.

but also as someone said (NZScion) in extremis H&S..What if four of you check in with a single 80kg "suitcase"......it may be legitimately pooled in your eyes but some poor b****r has got to manhandle it into/out of the aircraft.

A2QFI
1st May 2009, 17:52
You can't check in any item which weighs more than 23 kg SFAIK

al446
1st May 2009, 19:45
You can't check in any item which weighs more than 23 kg SFAIK

It's 32 kg

wowzz
1st May 2009, 22:06
Can I say in defense of STN/EZY [!!], that last year coming from Singapore, the scales at STN read exactly the same as when we checked in at Singapore the previous day.[Yes- we had to take a bus!! from LHR to STN but we never touched our cases]
I don't know why, but for some reason I always believe that MOL's scales are always calibrated in his favour rather than that of the punters [sorry - customers]

A2QFI
2nd May 2009, 05:56
23kg on many uk airlines I think. Something to do with Elf and safety and baggage handlers.

Johnny F@rt Pants
2nd May 2009, 08:15
22kgs per passenger on Jet2:ok:, pooling permitted:ok::ok:. 25kgs max per bag:ok:.

PVGSLF
2nd May 2009, 23:29
32Kg max for a bag is the health and safety inspired limit in the UK. I have never had a problem pooling allowances when travelling with the family. Is it a budget airline thing?

loweskid
3rd May 2009, 17:49
Many years ago, at Keflavik, Iceland (when the terminal was just a shed), nineteen of us were heading home after a trekking holiday. They told us to dump all our rucksacks onto a huge goods scale and they weighed the lot all at once.... :ok:

Tyrekicker2
4th May 2009, 10:07
It is definitely money - excess baggage is additional revenue - full stop.

It is a commercial decision on how much tolerance is allowed over the free allowance shown in your itinerary (many of the low cost guys tend to have zero tolerance whilst some legacy carriers can be quite generous).

The 23 kg limit per bag is a health and safety issue (35 kg is maximum)- bags between 23 and 35 kg should be tagged with a HEAVY label at check-in. This is legislated in some countries and recommended standard for the rest.
Thousands of baggage handlers have been injured by very heavy (but normal dimension) bags globally over the years. The baggage holds on narrow body aircraft are still somewaht similar to 19th century coal mines as far as loding and offloading is concerned. Loaders on their knees, bent double, lifting bags into position without the aid of pit ponies.:sad:
Spare a thought for them next time you try to check in a car engine or kitchen appliance (yes I have seen it!).
BA charge additional fee for bags over 23 Kg - to encourage their punters to keep to this limit.