PDA

View Full Version : Black Smoke From JAL 777

thebassplayer
27th Apr 2009, 20:31
I'm confused about something:confused:

On the 11th April I was aboard a JAL 772 seat 57k right at the back and about 20 mins after takeoff and I could see a thin, dark black line coming from under the wing, which at first i assumed was the smoke trail of another aircraft below but under closer inspection it I noticed it appeared to be coming from the engine.:uhoh:I was on the verge of calling a flight attendant when it seemed to all but disappear. Just as I had managed to pry my fingernails from the armrests I saw it reappear for a few seconds then go completely. I can happily say I didn't see it again for the rest of the flight...so I was wondering if any of you guys/gals might be able to help me with this?

Am I just paranoid or was this nothing to worry about?:confused::confused::confused:

Cheers, :ok:

TBP

eliptic
27th Apr 2009, 21:51
Have seen this many times,,donīt worrie:eek:

No expert but it sounds as Incomplete Combustion,,,maybe bcos the engine still not have reach the working temperatur

Rainboe
27th Apr 2009, 22:28
I think by 20 minutes after take-off, a jet engine has reached 'working temperature'!

rsuggitt
28th Apr 2009, 16:48
I dont know the correct technical term, but you often see dark trails at wingtips when the air is very humid. It's caused by a vortex formed at the wingtip due to the pressure difference above and below the wing; the vortex can spin fast enough to reduce the air pressure inside it; reduce air pressure causes reduced temperature; reduced temperature can cause water vapour to condense. You do also see these - I'll call them vortex streams for want of a better term - at other locations also. I suspect you saw one of these.

eliptic
28th Apr 2009, 17:49
I think by 20 minutes after take-off, a jet engine has reached 'working temperature'!

Rainboe,,

Sorry,, you right! i just read "take of "and missed the 20 min:O

WHBM
28th Apr 2009, 20:26
Dark trails back from the engines (or a little distance behind them) are something I have noticed from time to time for the last 40 years. I have always assumed they are the start of formation of the jet trails. As most know, sometimes these are present and sometimes not, sometimes they start before the tail and sometimes afterwards, and the sun angle varies between flights, so in combination sometimes you see it and sometimes you don't - and if you are in F class, or on the flight deck, you never see it at all !