PDA

View Full Version : AeroShell TECH TALK Issue 24 Oil Strategy for Winter

djpil
27th Apr 2009, 11:34
Did anyone see this newsletter? I got mine with a recent issue of the Aviation Trader.

Having had problems with camshafts in the past I was particularly interested that not changing oil grade in winter would contribute to cam problems. i.e. the article recommends the use of 80 grade oil - exactly per the recommendation in the flight manual for my aircraft. In the past I'd had difficulty acquiring that grade.

Earlier today the temperature was about 10 deg C, pretty normal for winter. So, armed with a copy of this newsletter I asked the local Shell agent for a bottle of 80 grade oil: "Not available but I can order some." But with today's temperature I should not use 100 grade so why is that the only one on offer?

With the typical temperatures in the Melbourne area there's no reason why 80 grade couldn't be the standard oil available all year round instead of 100 grade is there?

I own an aircraft but also fly other aircraft. Other pilots also use my aeroplane and they'd simply take the 100 grade oil on offer. Mechanics use the 100 grade at oil changes. It would be useless to personally order the oil just for my own use.

I find it interesting to compare this question (i.e. many people not following recommendations regarding grade of oil to be used) with a recent discussion of regulatory requirements for frequency of oil changes.