PDA

View Full Version : Low Hours Pilot

aviator_hyd
26th Apr 2009, 18:17
Hello guys well i wanted to know where could a low-time pilot like me with about 300 odd single engine hours and a FAA CPL look for? Are there any other guys in the same pool as i am? do you thing working as ground crew, just staying associated with an airline till better times come would help, or are there any other options???

redsnail
26th Apr 2009, 18:30
If you have no real ties as such, I would spend a lot of time researching where scenic flights are conducted, single engine charter work and so forth. Look for locations where it's comparatively easy to enter and work. I know Australia has work like this but it's difficult to enter the country.

So, look towards Africa and places like that.

However, if you need to earn some money first or have family ties that mean you can't easily leave, then find a dispatch job, ops job or any thing like that. Smaller companies are better in many ways because you'll get a broader view of the operation and the experience will be invaluable.

Good luck, the first couple of jobs are the hardest. :)

aviator_hyd
27th Apr 2009, 10:54
Could you please provide me with some of the organizations that would be interested in hiring low time pilots like me, specially in the asian sub continent or australia

VNA Lotus
27th Apr 2009, 11:23
everyone has its own problem, and we do not have time to look for a job for you and we do not want (competition!). :suspect: :p
Find your job, but with 300 you do not have any chance that's the real world.

BetpumpS
27th Apr 2009, 11:52
Are there any other guys in the same pool as i am?

Maybe I'm completely off track here but I thought who ever invests such a huge sum of money to get a job in any industry would be well up-to-date with what is happening in that industry.

Whether it be from reading magazines, web, talking to colleagues, industry magazines etc.

So how the :mad: can you ask that question? Have you been doing your fATPL in a South Pacific Island with no outside contact to the rest of the world?

I'm going to start the bidding:

20'000 world wide in the same low hr pool.

Higher or lower?

INNflight
27th Apr 2009, 12:05
I'm gonna bet lower!!!

19'995

:ok:

aviator_hyd
27th Apr 2009, 12:22
i have often seen whenever someone posts something or the other there are atleast 4-5 people just to make fun of the original post and try to act cool. Well i guess taking advise from someone shouldnt be such a big deal and yes i do know lots of places i just wanted to know some additional places where a 300 hours pilot could get a chance. and coming to the number of people who are in my pool, well i never asked u guys about the number it was just that i wanted to know some other people so i could communicate with them which would definitely give me a better prosspect about what to do and what not to.

Well this attitude of a professional with thousand of hours who doesnt care about a low-time pilot most of the time comes from people who themselves are in the same pool they have been making fun of!!

at last guys lets not go out of the context and try to relate to the original post. for guys who wanna make fun by guessing numbers i am glad that you amuse atleast some people and bring smiles on their faces by your hardwork!!

Cheers!!

redsnail
27th Apr 2009, 13:06
aviator_hyd,

I am not going to give you a list of operators as I do have my sim recurrent to study for.

However, I did give you some really good hints. "scenic", "single engine" "enter and work" words like that can lead to many things in "Google".

Do you have the right to work in Australia? If no, then unless you can get a visa, forget it.

Asian sub continent, I have no idea but again, I would look to "tourist" areas.
Words like parachuting & scenics. If you are drawing a blank online, then visit your local travel agent and ask them about that sort of thing.

aviator_hyd
27th Apr 2009, 13:16
Thanks a lot redsnail, i got what you are talking about and would definitely look at the available options.

M33
27th Apr 2009, 13:19
I am in the position where I have secured freelance flying on a twin. Luck! 200hrs total This is a brilliant position as I am able to stay current and am gaining some valuable experience, a minimum of 10hrs multi time every month and expected to increase. However this is not a paid position thus an income is required.

As a qualified teacher I can work part time (job interview pending, this week) allowing myself more time to be available for possible flights. However I have recently applied for a Customer Care position in a company, as yet with no interview date (and possibly not one at all)!! My thinking was that if within company I have the opportunity to get to know staff, possibility of positions within operations in the future, perhaps even have my ear to the ground with regards to pilot recruitment, and if nothing else showing the desire to work for said company!!

However a full time position would seriously affect the amount of flying I could possibly get, the salary would be no better than part time position in teaching. Teaching would also carry with it the need to give three months notice prior to leaving. As such if any had any words of advice or wisdom I would be grateful.

BetpumpS
27th Apr 2009, 15:19
Aviator,

I'm sure your reply was in reply to my sarcastic comment. I'm certainly not trying to act cool because I already am.

You have now explained yourself a little bit more but I am still incredulous at some of the questions you are asking.

Well this attitude of a professional with thousand of hours who doesnt care about a low-time pilot most of the time comes from people who themselves are in the same pool they have been making fun of!!

I am one of the lucky ones not to be drowning in the pool. But my colleagues and I do not owe you anything and you need to change your attitude to reflect this.

I will how ever apologise for my blunt sarcasm.

But you DID ask how many are in the pool just like you. And my guess remains the same:

20'000 world wide.

aviator_hyd
27th Apr 2009, 15:36
Hahahahaha.. Well i am sure you also at some point of your career were a part of the pool and you making fun of the same pool which you were a part of in the past isnt that sarcastic for me. And in the past If you havnt been in the pool you might be in future and i hope that doesnt happen but if it does than itll be really sarcastic than.

And your guess of 20000 if is true than good.. cause those 20000 are the future of the aviation industry. Noone is a born pro. everyone is nurtured into one.

Cheers!!!

aviator_hyd
27th Apr 2009, 18:29
could you let me know where exactly did you crack your luck?? and which A/C are you flying. you see this is what i am also looking at where i could just get to fly!! Gooood luck man!!!

Wish you happy landings!!!

preduk
27th Apr 2009, 19:47
aviator_hyd,

I'll be honest... I don't have a clue what you're talking about and I don't think you're understanding BetpumpS either.

BetpumpS
27th Apr 2009, 21:19
Aviator, if you look at my post, I can't find any sentence that shows me making fun of the pool. I only made a sarcastic remark in your direction (which I have apologised for) becasue you asked the question "Are there any other guys in the same pool as I am".

As for how I got there, it is irrelevant because frankly the industry is nothing like it was when I got my first job. If I came out of training now, I'd be Type rated on a Mcdonalds Chip Vat. Also my financial circumstances (or should I say my Dad's) were probably a little more healthy than most wanabees today. However since you asked:

My dad (airline pilot retd) remarried a filipina woman and moved out to Manila during my early teens gaining dual citizenship at the time along with me. During my school holiday between 1st year A-Levels and 2nd year, I started my PPL in the Philippines going solo a day after my 17th birthday. Completed a conversion back in England and flew weekends during my last year of A levels building up hours. By the time I finished my A levels, I had a PPL and 106 hours incld night rating. Did ATPLs full time then Completed CPL and ME/IR

I was over 18 and a half by then. TR were relatively cheaper back then so went on the 734 TR. One day after I finished the TR, got a phonecall from dad in Manila that there were positions available in the Philippines on a 737-200. Was on the next flight out and had an interview that week.

A few months after my 19th birthday, I flew my first flight out of MNL RWY24 to Mactan.

I dont really know if anyone can relate to this as the industry is pretty poor. Apart from financial assistance, I was lucky to have dual citizenship as well for a country where aviatiion was booming at the time - PAL pilots seeking better pay, pilots from Cebu pacific and other airlines moving onto PAL and thus creating a momentary demand for FOs.

Right now, I don't think any country has a great demand for pilots - esp 250hr cadets.

Wher am I now? At 25, I got a job on a 744. I wont bore you with my ramblings. Just go through my past posts and you'll read how I'm not really enjoying it much.

INNflight
27th Apr 2009, 21:21
yes i do know lots of places i just wanted to know some additional places where a 300 hours pilot could get a chance.

To be honest, the way you asked the question you were almost asking for sarcastic replies.

By implying you know LOTS of places who take 250-300TT guys (which I think you don't, for obvious reasons.... why ask here otherwise), then by all means apply to them and get a job, right?

Fact is (and I am in the pool with you, just FYI), there's close to zero flying jobs for beginners at the moment. I am not talking about SE Asia, I am talking worldwide!

I know two guys who went to Maun (that African place most low timers go to knock on doors and beg and pray for a job) for close to a month and came back without a single shot at one. NOT EVEN THERE, where one or two years ago you could walk up, knock on a door and sit into an airplane!!!

Flying jobs are rare, and even rarer for lowtimers. Do your homework...check out the GA and bizjets forum for example. There's a thread where EXPERIENCED pilots post their flying times, people who are DESPERATE to find a flying job.

They don't have 300 hrs TT, but more like 3000-5000 hrs....maybe go there and post a few of the "lots of places you know". Surely folks would be grateful.

abhi88
28th Apr 2009, 12:39
:} Come to Southern AFRIKA!!! GOOGLE it!