PDA

View Full Version : Change of name due to marriage?

Flock1
26th Apr 2009, 13:17
My wife had booked a Jet2 flight from Leeds to Pisa. The name she booked the flight under was her maiden name - the name in her passport.

But we need to get her a new passport with her married name in it. Therefore the name needs to be changed on the flight booking so I rang the Jet2 customer service, expecting to pay £55 for the change of name fee (for 2 sectors) but the woman at Jet2 said that all my wife needs to do is turn up at the airport check-in desk, present her original marriage certificate, her new passport, and voila, the change of surname will be free of charge.

I have no reason to dispute the Jet2 woman I spoke to, but is it really this simple? And at no charge?

Regards

Flock1

UniFoxOs
26th Apr 2009, 14:56
We have just had the same situation. Mrs UFO decided to keep her original passport for the few weeks until after our current trip (booked in previous name) with Ryanair, rather than go through the hassle and cost of changing the flight booking, and also taking the risk that the new passport might not come back in time.

Cheers
UFO
Weekending in sunny Munchengladbach

amanoffewwords
26th Apr 2009, 15:56
Mrs ex-Words had the same situation soon after we were married many years ago - did as you described with paperwork etc..no problems - think it was with BA - it must happen dozens on times a day at large airports so don't think you will have a problem...in fact very much doubt it - the important thing is to have the right paperwork so that the airline doesn't get in trouble further down the line.

flyingfemme
27th Apr 2009, 07:53
I never bothered changing names on tickets and didn't update my passport until the old one expired. Even then I carried the old passport because my US visa was still valid.

So - one ticket (married name), one passport (maiden name, then married name), old passport (maiden name) with US Visa (maiden name). Backed up with marriage certificate. Never had a problem or a question in alomost 10 years.

GroundedSLF
28th Apr 2009, 10:56
Its fine, just take the marriage cert to prove it and all is ok.

We get this loads of times, never, ever had an issue in 20 years...

Flock1
28th Apr 2009, 12:17
Thanks for the replies. My mind is eased!