PDA

View Full Version : Israeli Company Awarded Sub-Contract For UKMFTS - Anyone see any Problems Here?

Roger Sofarover
25th Apr 2009, 12:04
Well, The world gets stranger and stranger. Despite the fact that the IAF are a bunch of combat hardened chaps I find all this a bit odd. Published on their website, Simigon, an Israeli company have been awarded a contract by Lockheed Martin for a 25 year input to UKMFTS. Details below. I just wonder as we have always had such a close relationship with the Arabic countries in terms of their pilots training (and continuing to train) in our Flying Training System, (and I understood they would continue to do so), that this seems a little bit of an odd move. I don't think the Saudis etc will be that chuffed. It is also my understanding that Lockheed have not awarded any of the contracts for UKMFTS to any British Companys! Sweet eh:hmm:

SimiGon won a $3.1 million contract with Lockheed Martin ("LM") for the Advanced Jet Training phase of the UK Military Flying Training System ("UKMFTS"). The program includes 25 years of support with additional phases and could provide other growth opportunities for SimiGon.

SimiGon President & CEO, Ami Vizer, said, "SimiGon is extremely pleased to have been chosen as a partner in the UKMFTS program; this is a significant milestone for the company. We are very excited to be part of the team for this program as this further extends the mutually beneficial relationship with Lockheed. The UKMFTS will be using our technology the way it was designed to be - network centric, personal and dynamic hi-fidelity training systems for each trainee

News release

Simigon - Recent News (http://www.simigon.com/recent-news.html#Item29012009)

Management Team, You have to check these guys out!

Simigon - Management (http://www.simigon.com/management.html)

So, resident Journo's, I am surprised this has not hit the news yet.

taxydual
25th Apr 2009, 13:15
$3.1 million for a 25 year contract?

Having read their Website's Corporate Spiel

The UKMFTS will be using our technology the way it was designed to be - network centric, personal and dynamic hi-fidelity training systems for each trainee.

It sounds as though Simigon will supply the personalised pencils!

mick2088
25th Apr 2009, 13:42
Nobody has probably picked it up as it is not exactly the first place you'd look for a UK contract. Judging by what it is, perhaps it is not too big an issue and it is Lockheed Martin the contracting body not the UK MoD. The software is already being used for the JSF programme and by the USAF (according to the website) so perhaps Lockmart have found it does what it says on the box so went straight to Simigon for the UKMFTS contract.

Roger Sofarover
25th Apr 2009, 14:23
taxydual

I thought the same but
The program includes 25 years of support with additional phases

Thats where the money is.

mick2088

I guess the point I am trying to make is that the major 'external customer' for using the UK Flying training system has always been the ME, for which they pay good money. As far as I was aware that will still continue, especially with the Hawk2. However, with a major input in to the learning systems and software by this company, is that a politically/diplomatically sound move.

mick2088
25th Apr 2009, 16:03
I suppose if you mean it could be seen as controversial because of its Israeli origins. Perhaps, but then so would the MoD's lease of Israeli UAVs or the development of Watchkeeper involving a major Israeli defence company. Besides, from what I gather from the press release, Simigon will only supply the software (licences), training and support for the end user to operate the system in a similar way that most software packages would.