PDA

View Full Version : Tailwheel hire - Denham or Panshanger?

rusty sparrow
25th Apr 2009, 08:11
I'm midway between the two - I can hire a Piper Cub at Panshanger or a Citabria at Denham. I've got a tailwheel rating but also want some more instruction to get better.

Any recommendations for which of 'em is best? Panshanger has had a bit of a reputation in the past - still a problem?

BroomstickPilot
25th Apr 2009, 08:35
Hi rusty sparrow,

I have no knowledge of Panshanger.

Denham too has a reputation - an entirely good one.

I have undergone instruction at Denham and have found them to be well run and with good aircraft and good instruction standards.

I think you will also find the Citabria to be a better aeroplane than the Cub.

Regards,

Broomstick.

stickandrudderman
25th Apr 2009, 23:12
At Denham you'll be the lucky beneficiary of Eva's instruction, although I was under the impression that the Citabria was no longer available for solo hire.
There's a Chippy at Wycombe.

rusty sparrow
26th Apr 2009, 17:17
Denham sound good - I've seen several recommendations for Eva. But Panshanger is 20 min away and they have a Piper Super Cub for solo hire. I first saw one close up when gliding about 30 years ago and always wanted to try one.

So - I'll give Panshanger a go.

Flintstone
26th Apr 2009, 18:50
I can hire a Piper Cub at Panshanger...

Errr, not at the moment you can't. Someone shock loaded the engine by taxi-ing into something they shouldn't. Engine swop currently under way.

Duchess_Driver
26th Apr 2009, 19:27
There is a reasonbly priced share in a Cub available (to buy) at Denham.

Training in that or in the Citabria is available from The Pilot Centre.

rusty sparrow
27th Apr 2009, 10:17
Yep - saw that the cub was out of action Flintstone - was up a Panshanger at the weekend. Was told it should be back in action in a couple of weeks.