PDA

View Full Version : IREX study guide wanted

139BOY
25th Apr 2009, 02:37
Hi.
Does anyone have a recent Bob Tait IREX study guide they want to sell ?. Im using the Aviation Theory centre guide at the moment but want to study Bob Taits manual.

Thanks..

The Green Goblin
25th Apr 2009, 04:40
its only $60 odd dollars mate and most guys that have it keep it as its a handy little guide for those dreaded renewals!

Mine became the communal renewal reference for a while with the boys up North in the day :)

startingout
25th Apr 2009, 05:58
I thought I paid 90 for mine.... not sure but either way the ATC one really has nothing compared to Mr. Tait. Good luck finding a copy, not many will be willing to let go of theirs. :ok:

bentleg
25th Apr 2009, 06:28
I used the ATC CIR book and passed IREX first go.

ksa5223
25th Apr 2009, 06:51
I have an old Trever Thom Manual .. old ATC.. It is great and goes more in depth with the chapters . Bob Tait's is great for passing your exams.

the wizard of auz
25th Apr 2009, 12:40
Mine became the communal renewal reference for a while with the boys up North in the day
AAAhhh, they were the days :} jeez, it seems like it was only a couple of years ago.:E

Aerodynamisist
26th Apr 2009, 10:18
The Rob Avery practice exams are the ones to go for if you want to get through the irex exam first go.

carro
27th Apr 2009, 00:02
Mate your best bet is to throw out the study guides and read the rules back to front. Know where to find any information - I think you're allowed the regs in the exam from memory? Then do a few practice exams

PlankBlender
27th Apr 2009, 00:16
carro I think you'd have to be a lawyer to begin with to just take the legal texts without any guidance and have any chance to make sense of the mess that is our aviation law and the basis for the IREX exam..

The IREX exam is made up of 80% air law questions, in the way the questions are built not unlike the actual air law exam (with the IFR sections thrown in of course), and there are a small number of met and nav questions on top.

Get the latest version of the Bob Tait book, make sure your pilot shop is not selling you an outdated version as it's quite hard for any organisation to keep track of the changes in the legal texts, and even the latest version (from his website it's the 12/08 edition) will probably still have some inaccuracies in the references, and it'll be worse the older it gets..

Guara
13th May 2009, 14:36
Hi all,

PlankBlender, I followed your advice and bought Bob Tait's book. I think it is really good and useful.

I have some IFR experience from overseas and found the IREX quite tricky (expecially for non-aussies). I think that Bob Tait goes through very basics concepts that are important for passing the exam. He also seems to know the exam details well.

By the way, I paid AUD 90 for it.

Cheers,
Guara

Jabawocky
13th May 2009, 22:08
$89 at Bobs Shop at YRED

How are ya Plankie.........will try to give you a call some time.....:ok:

ReverseFlight
14th May 2009, 16:17
The thing I appreciated about Bob Tait's textbook is that it teaches you the differences between a PA and a NPA by bringing the Instrument Approaches section early on in discussion, whereas ATC's textbook does not fully explain such differences until its last couple of chapters.

What's more, Bob teaches a great mnemonic for alternates which has very practical implications for actual flight planning, quite apart from the IREX theory exam itself.

PlankBlender
15th May 2009, 01:49
I just got my CIR ticket :}:ok::cool::E and found it a breeze to revise for the theory portion of the flight test. It took about half a day to go through the book again to refresh my memory (over a year after actually sitting the IREX), so Bob Tait all the way! :ok: