PDA

View Full Version : Sponsorship? Is this possible....

mojothedojobunny
23rd Apr 2009, 17:23
I am new to this forum but I found it messing around on google trying to find reviews for ATP. Im 21 and a student at one of Embry-Riddles worldwide campuses to get a cheap bachelors degree. However, my reason for posting in this forum is I, like everyone else in this country, cannot get student loans to pay for my training. I went to regular college for a few years and decided I did not want to be an engineer after all and in the process racked up some student loans. Ive tried everything to get funding (private & gov. loans) but cant get anywhere. Is there such things as sponsorships from companies where they will pay for my training or part of it in return for flying for them for an alotted period of time? Im to the end of my rope with no light at the end of the tunnel. Sure you can say do the military like everyone else says but the military seems to have higher medical standards then is required to get a Class 1 medical from the FAA. (already have one with about 60 hours of flying done). I have no other ideas how I can actually finish my flight training. Can anyone help?

dartagnan
23rd Apr 2009, 19:41
i suggest you to stay away from aviation.

did u know pilots are paid crap even in the US airlines. (what about 1500$/month) for years, with no guaranty to fly for a major. google you tube.
after tax, you may get 1300$.

then pay 4 gaz, car, food, bills...living close of an airport, working 16 hours per day, pay only per hour you fly, and not being paid when you sit for hours in a shiity plane.flying 4-6 legs a day....and at the end, they give you ONLY 1300$ and you must smile and kiss their ass all day long.

give yourself a break, be a mechanic engineer, and then later, when you work, go in a flight school, and make your license.

YouTube - So You Want to be a Regional Airline Pilot? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RayMaswju1A&feature=PlayList&p=286C8774E02DF332&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=11)

Option C
23rd Apr 2009, 20:19
then pay 4 gaz, car, food, bills...living close of an airport, working 16 hours per day, pay only per hour you fly, and not being paid when you sit for hours in a shiity plane.flying 4-6 legs a day....and at the end, they give you ONLY 1300$ and you must smile and kiss their ass all day long.

Have Ryanair made it to America?
But seriously mojothedojobunny it's not a good time at the moment. No sponsorships going that I'm aware of in the UK, not sure about USA.
Take your time, I'd say the chances are you'll have to pay for the remainder of your training yourself, so get a job and do it modular. Pay for it as you go.
It'll take a while and be hard work, but you can do it.

mojothedojobunny
23rd Apr 2009, 20:20
I know you make crap starting out for regional airlines in the US. You make crap starting out at any job. Plus I have no intention of staying in the US either. I wanted to be a pilot because I can live and work where ever I want to. If your not going to answer my question and just going to criticize the industry dont bother replying Ive heard it all.

Option C
23rd Apr 2009, 20:32
Sorry dude, I thought I had answered your question.
No there is no sponsorship going, apart from flybe's part sponsorship scheme, but even then you need to fund about 40-50k yourself.
In terms of how you can finish your training. Get another job that pays a salary. Use some of this salary to fund the remainder of your training. It'll take a few years but it's better than taking out a massive loan to go integrated, especially in the current climate.
Hope that helps.

Aerouk
23rd Apr 2009, 22:30
Just because you're a pilot doesn't mean you can "live and work wherever you want".

You would need to make sure the country you want to live in will accept you, especially places like Europe where there are thousands of pilots struggling for employment.

Re-Heat
30th Apr 2009, 03:35
Being a pilot confers no right to live and work where you want to.

While having an FAA licence may allow you to work for Emirates / Cathay / Singapore, few others permit US citizens to live and work in their country willy-nilly, just as the US does not permit non-US citizens to rock up and start working there.

Vems
1st May 2009, 09:06
e tried everything to get funding (private & gov. loans)

Don't take out a loan, don't be stupid. In the current climate it's not worth it. Finish school and get a full time job and then fly/pay as you go. I'm actually in full time education myself, working 30 hours per week and managing to get an hour per week, sometimes two. It's hard at times, but I'm doing it for myself and it's worth it. Taking out a loan would be totally stupid, especially, if you finished really soon.. good luck with finding a job and paying off the loan ..

I went to regular college for a few years and decided I did not want to be an engineer after all and in the process racked up some student loans.

Hm, I'm starting an aircraft engineer course after summer. It's always good to have a back up career, although that's your own choice. If you can get a degree for free, I'd go for it, but if it's something you'd pay for, then in my opinion, it would be better to spend the money on flying.

Is there such things as sponsorships from companies where they will pay for my training or part of it in return for flying for them for an alotted period of time?

If you mean sponsorships.. that you don't even pay a penny.. then it's simply no. Not that I'm aware of at least. I've searched for months and couldn't find anything, apart from FlyBe which has already been mentioned.

I wanted to be a pilot because I can live and work where ever I want to.

It's more like.. you work where you can find a job rather than where you want to :E

Finding your first job will be hard and you have to count in the possibility that if you get just one offer after 2 years of looking, somewhere God knows where then for your own best you'd probably have to move and it wouldn't really matter if you liked it or not.

Unless you'd prefer working somewhere else(maybe your current job at that time) instead of flying.. but that's your choice, once again.

If your not going to answer my question and just going to criticize the industry dont bother replying Ive heard it all.

It's not the industry that's really criticized to be honest. Aviation is a small world and really harsh industry, so make sure you know what you're getting into :p

BetpumpS
1st May 2009, 10:16
It's more like.. you work where you can find a job rather than where you want to

When we all start loving each other and the world becomes a lovely place, I expect aviation in Afghanistan and Iraq to really take-off (pun intended).

A few 737-200s that have served X hundred thousand hours leased from a few West African countries will probably be based in Basra and Helmand province.

PILOTS NEEDED

Any takers from the 250hr pool? TR required!

INNflight
1st May 2009, 17:15
A few 737-200s that have served X hundred thousand hours leased from a few West African countries will probably be based in Basra and Helmand province.

PILOTS NEEDED

I bet there will be a line with 500 guys who'd like to pay for the line training on those!!! :ouch: