PDA

View Full Version : Where to go for approach training in the South?

hugh flung_dung
23rd Apr 2009, 16:31
I've just been updating my info on places available for instrument approach training but it's not a happy story. Either very expensive (£57.50 at Biggin), difficult to book (Bournemouth), usually not available (Southampton), or not bookable and therefore difficult for training and tests (Farnborough). Shoreham, Yeovil and Filton are OK.

Where do you take your students?
Are Odiham and Benson available? Other military airfields?

HFD

will fly for food 06
23rd Apr 2009, 18:21
If you can go for the day we have used Le Touqet. Parking 2x ILS and ccts for 10 euros!

SkyCamMK
23rd Apr 2009, 19:09
Try Manston, £16 for 1st £11.75 thereafter, nice people too!

Flyluke
23rd Apr 2009, 20:26
Le Touquet is very good, cheap too.

Also Southend - not too expensive, very helpful, and they have always said 'yes' to me without prior arrangement.
Recommended.

Duchess_Driver
23rd Apr 2009, 20:28
Don't try Bristol.....effin expensive!

Cambridge, Oxford, Southend or Cranfield but the same applies as the ones you've already mentioned. Expensive/booked.

Benson have in the past played ball......If you're trudging up to Benson then Brize isn't that much further.

tropicalfridge
26th Apr 2009, 18:31
Try the military airfields? If you can speak to the right person, you might manage it, and they are likely to charge a reasonable fee, if anything as no interest in making a profit.

airborne_artist
27th Apr 2009, 08:59
It's worth ringing Benson and Odiham as they may have a baby controller who needs the practice, and then there's no charge.

hugh flung_dung
27th Apr 2009, 09:11
Thanks all!
Has anyone got any contact numbers or recent cost/availability info for approaches at: Benson, Brize, Odiham, Wallop or Lyneham ?

HFD

JonathanB
27th Apr 2009, 10:27
Lydd - I think they're usually quiet and not too expensive.

Edit to say £17 per instrument approach: http://www.lydd-airport.co.uk/documents/Landingfees2009.pdf

tropicalfridge
27th Apr 2009, 17:55
Regarding the military, the best thing is to go through someone you know there. Failing that, write a letter to the station concerned and address it to OC Ops. He/she is usually second in command of the station and you'll get the approaches if you put forward a good case. As well as appealing to their good nature, try and think of some way the station can benefit, perhaps publicity or improving the public image of the RAF? This kind of thing sometime appeals to senior officers.

lady in red
27th Apr 2009, 21:43
Calais is even cheaper than Le Touquet and usually deserted.

jamestkirk
28th Apr 2009, 09:48
I think you get a discount for a flying school or fuel uplift. Its been a while since I have been in there but worth checking.

D SQDRN 97th IOTC
4th May 2009, 07:40
Lydd is a joke

It may be cheap.....but look at the size of the procedure !
If you want to spend all bloomin' day flying 14 DME arcs, then go to Lydd.

You might as well visit Calais - deserted and cheap.

The Hat
8th May 2009, 08:35
I did all of my training in Calais a few years ago. It was a great place to learn. You could do NDB, ILS approaches all day long if you wanted. It was as cheap as chips!! Talking of chips is the Cafe still open there??

Gulfstreamaviator
16th May 2009, 11:27
Many moons ago did all our training there too. Every weekend.
In those days we finished the flying, when the ATC/Customs/baggage loader/runway sweeper went home for his lunch, and we went to the shop/cafe in the village. If we were very nice he would drop us off in his 2CV, (government issue).

glf