PDA

View Full Version : Flyer Magazine Duxford Bonus Day 23rd May 2009

alphaalpha
23rd Apr 2009, 12:35
FLYER magazine and Duxford are getting together again for the May 23rd Bonus Day. The event is open to all aircraft and all readers of FLYER. Arrive in any aircraft and enjoy the discounts and benefits below -- and, of course, meet your Flyer Forum friends.

Flyer will be orgainsing some surprises on the day, but one thing I can tell you about now is that John Farley will be there and will be giving a talk, as well as signing copies of his new book 'View from the Hover.'

Duxford is home the Imperial War Museum and must be the premier destination for GA pilots in Europe. Most weekends through the flying season, although there are no guarantees, you are quite likely to see warbirds flying – Spitfire, Hurricane, B17, Catalina and other rare types are based at Duxford.

The Bonus days offer great discounted prices: On 23rd May, all aircraft and their pilots and passengers will enjoy half-price landing fees and much reduced museum admission. Single or twin can land for £7; museum entry is £7 for most adults and children come in free.

On Bonus days only, the Briefing Room and balcony on the first floor of the historic Control Tower is freely available for Bonus pilots and their passengers. The £22+ million ‘AirSpace’ project is now fully open – really a ‘must-see’ and great for children as well as adults.

Other bonus days in 2009 are:
20 June Cessna Bonus Day
25 July Piper Bonus Day
8 August Bulldog & Pup Bonus Day

As well as Bonus Days, Duxford welcomes FLY-INs. Any group of pilots planning to visit Duxford can arrange special prices in advance, subject to a minimum of about 6 aircraft (for discounted landing fees) and/or 20 people (for discounted museum admission as well). This does not apply to event days, and it must be pre-arranged in writing with the airfield manager, Frank Marson.

Further information about the Bonus Days and information for fly-in visitors can be found on the web site IWM Duxford - Europe's premier aviation museum:
IWM Duxford - Europe's premier aviation museum : Airfield Information (http://duxford.iwm.org.uk/server/show/ConWebDoc.1181)
IWM Duxford - Europe's premier aviation museum : Airfield Information (http://duxford.iwm.org.uk/server/show/ConWebDoc.1181)

The airfield team will be delighted to hear from forumites (call for PPR and briefing 01223 833376) and to see you on the day. On busy days, such as the Flyer Bonus day, we will operate a broad slot system, to avoid too much congestion. The phones are very busy on Bonus mornings, so call well in advance if you can, to ensure you get your chosen time.

Just for people who don’t know, I should declare my interest. I’m a casual FISO at Duxford. I’m also a pilot who thinks the place is pretty marvellous.

Alan.

alphaalpha
12th May 2009, 20:53
It's time to put the date in your diary, book the aircraft and call for PPR/slot -- 01223 833376.

Alan.

alphaalpha
20th May 2009, 13:03
John Farley's talks are planned for 11.30 and 13.30 (local time) -- subject to some change depending on the number attending. There are slots available from 10 to 10.30 and around lunchtime, or in the faternoon.

Alan.

alphaalpha
22nd May 2009, 19:40
The weather looks good for tomorrow. The Stansted TAF is:

LONDON/STANSTED EGSS 221703Z 2218/2324 27010KT 9999 SCT030 BECMG 2219/2222 20006KT BECMG 2302/2305 6000 BECMG 2306/2309 CAVOK

so for the relevant period 200/06 CAVOK.

We've had a couple of cancellations for the populat periods today, so, if you haven't arranged to come in yet, feel free to call tomorrow for a slot and PPR.

John Farley, goodies, raffle and get meet the Flyer folk -- all in the setting of Duxford AND discounts!

Alan.

Wessex Boy
26th May 2009, 11:21
Great Fly-in, thoroughly enjoyed it!

alphaalpha
26th May 2009, 18:44
Yes, there were smiles on everybodies faces. Good weather. Good humour. Good airmanship. the Flyer team were delighted.

The next Duxford Bonus Day is Saturday 20th June, for Cessna aircraft. I'll post a separate thread.

Alan.

dont overfil
26th May 2009, 18:57
I plan to be in your neck of the woods that day for the Shuttleworth evening display. I'll bring the new toy.
DO