PDA

View Full Version : Return trip to Dublin on same day.

danielson81
23rd Apr 2009, 12:04
Hi there,

My nephew loves airplanes and airports. As a cheap treat I was thinking of taking a cheap flight from Gatwick to Dublin with him as with taxes and charges its only £10 each for a Saturday in June with Ryanair

Plane leaves LGW at 1315 arriving in DUB at 1430, and coming back leaves DUB at 1855 returning at 2015.

My only question is (and it may sound stupid) is 4½ hours enough time to get off the plane, exit and go through security again, as I imagine Ryanair wouldn't help me out if I missed the return leg, or if the 1855 departure was cancelled

Obviously if the plane is heavily delayed leaving LGW I will just go home!

GroundedSLF
23rd Apr 2009, 12:24
4 1/2 hours is plenty of time, make sure you check in for both outward and return flights before you set off

Enjoy the day

eastern wiseguy
23rd Apr 2009, 12:55
Loads of time......enjoy your day

danielson81
23rd Apr 2009, 13:20
thanks! all booked!

N272WA
23rd Apr 2009, 18:49
I did a similar trip with my son last month but from Cardiff to Dublin with Aer Lingus. We had slightly longer in Dublin as flight back wasn't until 20.30 so had plenty of time to go into the city centre as well (half an hour each way to/from O'Connell Street on the Aircoach immediately outside Arrivals).

If your nephew is under 16 beware the following re travel documents: The Ryanair website states (my bold)

"Photo-ID is not required for children when travelling with an adult if:

Children under 16 are travelling between the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland or on domestic flights within either the United Kingdom or Ireland FROM 1st OCTOBER 2009 ONWARDS THE ONLY ACCEPTED PHOTO ID FOR CHILDREN UNDER 16 WILL BE A VALID PASSPORT OR VALID EEA GOVERNMENT ISSUED NATIONAL ID CARD. "The Aer Lingus site said much the same and indeed my son (he's 6) didn't need any id when checking-in. Different story at the immigration desk in Dublin however, where we were nearly denied entry (luckily I had my sons expired passport with me which was sufficient). The officer said that whilst no id may be required by the airline she did, for the childs safety.
Quite how that squares with no checks at all if you took the ferry, or if you flew to Belfast and crossed the open border...I didn't want to push my luck by asking.

So, take some form of id for him with you.

Aside from that we had a great day, just remember that there is a long hike from the security to the Ryanair gates on PierD, though I guess if you're not leaving the airport you won't be in a last minute rush.

Enjoy your trip!;)

sickofitall
23rd Apr 2009, 20:18
Use Online check-in and you will not have any problems. In fact it will give you even more time to play around with. Just make sure you are at the gate at least 30 minutes prior to departure coz if you aint there they wont wait.