PDA

View Full Version : Work for the better half

bush.ranger
23rd Apr 2009, 01:54
I'm a low timer moving North. Assuming i'm fortunate enough to get work in some remote outpost line Oenpilli or Kakadu etc. (i'm assuming if I can find work it'll be in a place like this) is there anywhere in places like that for my wife to find work. I've never been up north so have no idea how small these communities are and what is there.

p.s. she's willing to pretty much work anywhere (keep it clean please), oh and try to resist the temptation to tell me to leave her in the south. That's not really an option:O.

airman1
23rd Apr 2009, 02:16
Bush Ranger,

I did a short stink in the wet season a few years ago in Oenpelli. Others would have better info but when I was there weren’t really any other jobs about. Maybe Kakadu but it would also be very rare I would think. Best bet would be Darwin for the MRS it's only a 2.5 hr commute of a weekend to Darwin. Well thats if you get the weekend off its hardcore GA out there! Maybe an instructor rating? It will allow you to stay in the major capital cities (just a thought)

Good Luck:ok:

Kelly Slater
23rd Apr 2009, 02:19
The more remote you go, the easier she will find work in outback Oz.

bush.ranger
23rd Apr 2009, 03:30
The more remote you go, the easier she will find work in outback Oz.

Can you elaborate?

Afterburner1
23rd Apr 2009, 03:48
Some companies might even look at putting your missus on in an office position. If they do, she'll probably be on more money than most of the pilots :}

Burner :ok:

VH-XXX
23rd Apr 2009, 07:27
There are literally STACKS of jobs up north for anyone if you are prepared to hang around. My olds were in Halls Gap recently and were looking like they were stuck in town due to the LPG bowser broken. They were both offered good jobs on the spot, but (un)fortunately due to Ford roadside assist they were outta there.

solowflyer
23rd Apr 2009, 07:46
You Mrs won't have a problem finding work in most places if she is not too picky about what she does however your biggest problem will be finding accomadation.

Lasiorhinus
23rd Apr 2009, 10:02
My olds were in Halls Gap recently and were looking like they were stuck in town due to the LPG bowser broken.

Gee, that's a long way north :E

Kelly Slater
23rd Apr 2009, 10:29
If you find yourself in a community such as Oenpelli, your wife, having no extended family obligations, should have no difficulty finding a job.

VH-XXX
23rd Apr 2009, 10:32
Thanks Las, that completely slipped past me!

Halls Creek was what I meant of course :)

Metro man
23rd Apr 2009, 11:47
Teachers and nurses are always in demand. If that doesn't apply bar work or the local supermarket. Council offices often have admin positions available, the police employ civilian clerical staff, local take away or truck stop may need a cook. Temporary/casual positions become available to replace people on leave or until a replacement arrives. Baby sitting/child minding, holding a stop sign at the school crossing.

Lots of work available if you are flexible and go looking for it.:ok:

Mr. Hat
23rd Apr 2009, 11:50
she'll get a job - it you we have to work on!:}:ok: nah you'll be right

AussieNick
23rd Apr 2009, 12:01
if you end up in a community she should be able to find an admin job with a government department, especially health. If she is a good typer etc then finding office work won't be hard.

let me put it this way, she'll find work a hell of alot faster than you will :}