PDA

View Full Version : Devon HEMS job

TunaSandwich
22nd Apr 2009, 14:15
Re. the ad. in FlightGlobal, Is the stated salary of 48,000 sterling typical of a UK HEMS job? was thinking about coming home but if that is standard then not so sure. But then again it all depends on how many days/duty hours per year is the norm., anyone have that info.?

Cheers

jayteeto
22nd Apr 2009, 15:20
Standard?? That is an excellent starting salary in the UK!!

WylieCoyote
22nd Apr 2009, 20:15
The ad states they want a 135 rated IR TRE/IRE, would 48,000K be enough to attract such a person? Devon is nice but come on.
The rest of the requirements seem to be the minimum hours, is that just an incentive to get more interest from people who aren't TRE's maybe?

jeepys
23rd Apr 2009, 07:47
48k is nothing special for a decent time, IR pilot.
Maybe for a 206 jockey struggling to get through winter but surely this job will go to somebody with 3/400 hrs twin and many will have an IR to go with that.

heli-man
23rd Apr 2009, 07:54
Some ex-mil person will get this job. They seem have the police/HEMS world sewn up (there seems to be a prevailing mindset that they are the only people who know how to fly at 500 feet).

Note it says a "procedural IR", this means an ex-mil person with a military IR (ie not a full JAR one) can apply.

jockspice
23rd Apr 2009, 08:11
Many ex-mil guys won't have the EC 135 rating, though. Thay also ask for a minimum of 2000 hours rotary and experience of HEMS, so unless you have done it before, ex-mil may not be enough.

101BOY
23rd Apr 2009, 08:34
Plenty of military guys have done Incident Response or SAR so with a decent interview technique should overcome that hurdle.

I think that the pay is quite 'normal' for the non-London HEMS/Police world isn't it?

ShyTorque
23rd Apr 2009, 09:12
Always intrigues me how folk just prefer to tittle-tattle about who will get what, mutter, mutter; I'm not worthy, it's not fair, why should they get it when I can't, etc.

If you want the job, why not just apply for it? You might just surprise yourself. I once got plucked from obscurity from 200 applicants and was given a job for which I didn't hold paper qualifications and had no direct experience. They paid to get me qualified.

misterbonkers
23rd Apr 2009, 09:39
Well said ShyTorque. You wrote exactly what I was thinking.

jockspice
23rd Apr 2009, 11:19
If that's the case, why bother asking for the type rating and hours on type? Is that the first stage of weeding?:}

misterbonkers
23rd Apr 2009, 12:22
Well would you employ a pilot with a positive mental attitude or a negative one?

jockspice
23rd Apr 2009, 12:50
Or one who cannot read or follow basic requirements?

"I haven't got the qualifications, but I will apply anyway"
"I haven't got the hours required, but I will fly anyway"
"I haven't got the training, but I will low-fly anyway" :eek:

Yes, this post is tongue-in-cheek. Apply for everything - you never know what you may get!

nodrama
23rd Apr 2009, 13:05
This outfit has been trying to recruit a line pilot for HEMS since last September, but without success. It's the first time they've gone to the 'international' market with an advert.....probably why they are asking for 'minimum' hrs.

bleepup
23rd Apr 2009, 13:26
I take it they don't want a IR rating then with that salary!

What Limits
23rd Apr 2009, 14:47
I wouldn't employ any of you that can't read the ad or accompanying information properly.

Go back, do your research, then apply.