PDA

View Full Version : Off Field Landing on CNN

patrickal
22nd Apr 2009, 01:10
Just caught this on CNN.com. Pretty good luck and cool heads got these guys down safe. And I don't think this is fake.

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2009/04/21/vo.fl.emergency.land.affl)

lomapaseo
22nd Apr 2009, 02:04
I've never considered a road or highway as off-field for a home-built

Lightning6
22nd Apr 2009, 02:11
A good FL, well done, lucky there was no traffic at the time.

sleemanj
22nd Apr 2009, 07:33
Anybody know more of the story?

Looks like a Skyranger to me, and sounded like the guy in the right seat was perhaps an instructor - if so good job to both, to the pilot for handling the situation, and for the instructor to let the pilot handle the situation, I think a lot of instructors would have "my plane"'d it as soon as the engine quit the first time.

Rodent1982
22nd Apr 2009, 09:14
Awesome, thanks for sharing!

yawningdog
22nd Apr 2009, 12:58
Great Video. For those that are looking for it, its titled : "Ride along as pilots defy death"

sleemanj
22nd Apr 2009, 15:14
LiveLeak.com - Incredible emergency landing caught on tape-Cockpit view with audio.wow. (http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=945_1240357993)

Raw video:April 21/09.WINTER HAVEN,As a flight instructor, Kyle Davis teaches his students how to make emergency landings. On Sunday, he got put to the test.

"I was incredibly lucky," Davis told FOX 13. "It was a whole bunch of luck and a little bit of experience."

Davis, and his passenger, a professional videographer, left Gilbert Field in Winter Haven around 10:30 a.m. They were on their w More..ay to the Sun 'N Fun Fly in, a 15-minute flight.

Since so many other planes were flying there as well, Davis's passenger told FOX 13 that they thought "it would be cool" to video their trip.

Just minutes after taking off, the engine conked out. Davis got it going again, then it stopped a second time. Then, a third.

"He was just awesome," said John Amundsen, who taught Davis to fly. "I just hope if I ever have a situation like that, I am as cool as Kyle was."

As the plane got closer and closer to the ground, Davis had to make a split-second decision. Land in a nearby lake, or on Havendale Boulevard -- one of Winter Haven's busiest streets.

For whatever reason, there was no traffic on his side of Havendale, so Davis set her down there.

Now people around the world are watching what happened on YouTube. By Tuesday, it had gotten thousands of hits.

Even though Davis may have nerves of steel, a number of words on the video are bleeped out.

"I was saying my prayers," Davis said. "I was saying my prayers."

Katamarino
22nd Apr 2009, 15:21
Was that a drive through establishment they pulled into? :ok: Class.