PDA

View Full Version : Good JAA/JAR schools in US ??

alkatifa
21st Apr 2009, 01:17
I am currently trying to decide on either taking the course here in Portugal or go to the US, mainly due to $$ and weather reasons.

I'm aware that there's not an awfull lot of schools in the US that do JAA, but I reckon that must be at least some around. I've heard that Orlando Flight training does JAA trainning but I'm not quite sure if they're worth it.

All the input would be greatly apreciated!

ford cortina
21st Apr 2009, 08:19
The search button is a very useful tool.:ok:

ExCitation
22nd Apr 2009, 13:03
Florida is probably the best place to start looking for JAA schools as they seem to have the highest concentration of JAA school throughout the USA.

I’ve heard OFT is ok and I know a few people who have trained there. What I will advise is that you don’t pay all of the money up front.. to any flight school, especially in this economic climate.

Tony77
22nd Apr 2009, 15:20
Skymates Inc. - Professional Flight Training & Aircraft Rental (http://skymates.com/index.php), I had my training there until last year.
Friendly place, nice fleet, good instructors and very important the owner is a good guy, ready to listen to you all the time.
Look at their website, they have a JAA section. I think their price for the JAA course is unbeatable.

Keygrip
22nd Apr 2009, 17:41
I looked at their website - they don't *have* a JAA course.

They will train you for FAA CPL and IR - which you could do anywhere.

Then you go to a UK based CPL/IR school to convert them - which you could do anywhere.

<<edit: Missed word "go" in line three>>

alkatifa
22nd Apr 2009, 17:59
Thanks guys

Seems to me that there aren't that many REAL jaa schools in the US after all :ugh: I was kinda hoping to find a couple of them though.

I am a bit scary bout OFT, with all the negative fuss going on.

Keygrip, I did check Skymates and found it quite odd having the 2 combined. Makes sense though, they give you FAA trainning and then arrange for you to go to the UK for the JAA stuff. That's not good enough for me....I would just stick to the one over here, Nortavia, it's just a bit pricy though! :(

EIPCW
22nd Apr 2009, 18:43
Alkatifa

Have a look at the flyeft.com website, seems to be a bit cheaper that oft if that's what you're looking for. Not able to give you any info on them but would be interested in any feedback as I am looking at them for my CPL

alkatifa
22nd Apr 2009, 20:09
EIPCW thanks mate. That is pretty interesting. EFT must be one of the most interesting I've seen so far, no doubt.

I'm obviously interested in a good price/quality training, as I'm not just looking for bargains.

I'm just wondering about their education minimum requirements, but since I have already attended Uni (didn't finish) I reckon it should be ok.

Would be sweet just to get some more feedback on EFT.