PDA

View Full Version : Pilot demmand in Australia in 2009 and beyond.

Regan
21st Apr 2009, 01:13
Just interested in what the feel is on this subject. Concidering the current downtutn will airlines have a shortfall or excess of pilots in the near future? Sure airlines will always need some pilots but will it be like anything we have seen in the passed 2yrs? Will young budding pilots need THOUSANDS of MEIR to be even concidered or will airlines still concider pilots with minimum hours?

Lyndon24
21st Apr 2009, 01:56
Maybe learn how to spell before doing circuits mate

dabz
21st Apr 2009, 03:59
angry guy..

Regan
21st Apr 2009, 07:01
Thanks Lyndon24. Heres to you Mate......:D

VFRSTAR
19th May 2009, 21:18
That is a hard question to answer. Some young stars get cadetship with Qantas with very little hours but most need to go north and fly for a few years in the little stuff before thinking of airline stuff. Obviously now it's just alot more competitive. I have almost 4000 hours and can't find anything so I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you...but you never know mate.

helldog
20th May 2009, 06:19
Yep I would like to give the spelling police a hand as well:D

When things pick up again the sittuation will be the same as before. There will be a shortage of pilots all over the world. It might even be worse than before because there will be less training going on at the moment.

Groundloop
20th May 2009, 08:22
It's wonderful how people attack the "spelling" police. The earlier you have pointed out to you that spelling is important the better. Why? Because if you submit a job application with spelling (or grammar) mistakes in it it will be one of the first in the bin as it shows unprofessionalism and lack of care.

Just take it on the chin. They are actually trying to help you - even if it's not obvious and they are a bit rude about it.

anotheradam
20th May 2009, 09:03
Helldog

It's all very well applauding the spelling police, while you should be arrested by the 'Tense Police'

"It might even be worse than before because there will be less training going on at the moment."

And while we're at it, "SITUATION" has one 'T'

OOOOps!!:D

JoelRH
20th May 2009, 11:02
They are actually trying to help you

if you believe the above you are dumber than Dumbo the flying elephant. all you are accomplishing is to piss off the original poster and other casual users like myself, who, were interested in the title of the thread only to find half of it dedicated to correct spelling.

give me a break.

John_Mc
20th May 2009, 14:09
You said it Joel, completely agree :ok:

Bealzebub
20th May 2009, 14:38
Ever walked out of the house with your trouser zip undone? (Ladies with your skirt tucked into your knickers.) In the bottom corner of your post there is a blue button with a pair of scissors marked "Edit." Sometimes it is worth saving yourself the embarrassment, with a bit of judicial self grooming. ;)

That way, you will be able to consider the downturn in demand from others, to make such criticism a thing of the past.

It might be better to ask this question in the "DG&P forum" as it is more of a regional issue, and you will probably get a better qualified opinion?

mtanz0
20th May 2009, 15:38
In fairness, are we not slightly afraid of someone whose native language is English, who can't spell 'consider' correctly, becoming a pilot ? You may say that one's ability to spell correctly has no bearing on their ability to fly a plane, but it certainly does not inspire confidence.

2CT
20th May 2009, 20:54
OK perhaps it might be a touch on the harsh side (the observations on your spelling) maybe we could put it a gentler way..

If your application form lands on the desk of Quantas or any other major carrier, it will be examined to the nth degree. Your flying skills may be exceptional, your interpersonal skills excellent and you may be fully deserving of a plum job at a top carrier but.. you won't get the chance of that job which will set you up for life, if the form just goes in the bin, which it surely will if you don't get the basics right.

We are trying to point you in this direction - not score points ok?

Maturity is a big issue in this job and those posters who don't have it display this so clearly with their responses.

Our advice is - and I think I speak for most crew who like actively to encourage aspiring pilots - pay attention to these important basics and you will get to be where we are lucky enough to be. We've done it and it's sensible to take advice from those who have trodden the same path as you hope to.

Does that sound better?

Good Luck with your search for your dream job!

2CT

Gearupandorrf
20th May 2009, 23:24
That in fact it's QANTAS mate- not Quantas.:ok:
Please also check the BIG picture, not just the finer details.

Sciolistes
21st May 2009, 01:16
That in fact it's QANTAS mate- not Quantas.
Oh how the smug fall. Classic :ok:

greenslopes
21st May 2009, 01:32
Can anyone remember what the topic was..?.. anyone ..??

As one of the earlier posts mentioned it is very difficult to snag a gig at the moment. Those willing to go the extra mile will secure employment. Consider PNG, Asia and the more remote areas of Australia. I received my commercial licence two weeks before the 89' dispute, yes it was tough and I did get out of the industry for twelve months. Having said that I'm now in a nice smelly 737 and having a ball.

When things do turn around, whilst no expert I reckon the demand for pilots will be more acute as training has decreased due cost and availability of training staff.

Interesting times ahead. Slow for the next 12-24 months bit then should improve(my gut feeling only).

Der absolute Hammer
21st May 2009, 07:06
Topic was about Regan flying for the major Australian airline whixh-of course-is spelt so:

Mit der Quantas nach Australien fliegen
Bei beiden Flügen war die Quantas meine Fluggesellschaft. Die Quantas ist die größte und älteste australische Fluggesellschaft und besitzt einen recht guten Ruf.

Looks much better than the Ozzie version.

2CT
21st May 2009, 08:42
KWANTAS/CHWANTAS whatever..

but I got the job...how d'ya like them apples..

JoelRH
21st May 2009, 08:47
I'll make an on topic post.
Demand for the future looks good buddy. It's simple. Population of the world is going up, not down. Economic crisis or not there will be a huge increase in demand as the rest of the world catches up with us technologically and economically so therefore pilot demand will be up. But if you really want to fly, then does it matter? For me, no, even if demand was abysmal i'd be going for it. ;)

Well saving up for my flying training still.. I'm going to probably loan some and have some saved, tried security monitoring for a while, not enough money now I drive a semi crane truck for better money. Might buy my own truck soon and hire a driver get a small business going to support me whilst I fly train.

gl.

ps. its not the spelling correction that got my (and others I suspect) back up it was the tone Maybe learn how to spell before doing circuits mate if you read his post it's obvious he's just quickly written what he's thinking and hit post... we all know downturn is not downtutn.. who cares! although i do agree younger people these days have worse spelling, blame the education system.

Wee Weasley Welshman
21st May 2009, 10:50
With the regions largest economy in unprecedented collapse it is inevitable that there will be a large surplus of pilots and very few job opportunities for several years. The Chinese and Indian governments may well prefer to grow their own pilots over the option of hiring you as an ex-pat. Western economies have stopped growing, shrunk and may not again grow much. There is a limit to what can be consumed as the planets resources are finite and a massive new population of consumers has to be accommodated.

Your license and ratings expire without use. A wise man would gain them at a time when he is likely to find use for them quickly. That time is absolutely not now and hasn't been for a good 18 months.

greenslopes
21st May 2009, 11:28
In Oz the ratings may expire, the licence however remains valid in perpetuity.

Pace152
21st May 2009, 15:07
WWW you´re absolutely spot on and I´d just like to back up what you´re saying.

The wiseman would probably leave it for a couple of years before starting training and then spend a couple more training and be ready to go when the airlines pick up again in probably 4 years or so.

To start training now is to throw money down the drain unless you´ve got another job and can take it nice and slow whilst still working.

Just an opinion, that´s hopefully spelt right ;)

RoyHudd
27th May 2009, 16:43
Agreed, WWW. Civil Aviation is not going to recover soon, if ever. It will still exist, but not in the way it has been in the 80's, 90's, and early noughties.

The way the world's shaping, a job as a military pilot may be the best route to getting paid for flying an aircraft. And maybe also getting paid for shooting at aircraft and being shot at! (I'm not being flippant).

I wish I didn't believe in what I have written. Hopefully I am utterly wrong. Time will tell.

Regan
28th May 2009, 16:28
Thanks for the advice on the spellings and for the contribution on the subject matter. Now lets focus on the subject matter.
It is obvious that there are a lot of pilots out of work worldwide and now is not the time to be looking for a job. However, it may be a good time to be training (if you have the $). I have spoken to a few pilots recently and their outlook seems positive. The general feeling is that the industry will pick up again and once it starts to pick up it will do so pretty fast. The million dollar question is when, 18 months, 4 yrs? I guess nobody can tell until it happens. :ugh: