PDA

View Full Version : Cheap A320 Type rating

4931tom
20th Apr 2009, 21:01
Anybody know where I can find a cheap A320 type rating? I know Pan Am just dropped theirs down to $9,500......I thought that there was one around for 8K? Thanks guys.....

SonnyCrockett
20th Apr 2009, 21:29
Why do you want one? I am curious because without PIC time in type a Type is worthless.....

Please share with the group your thoughts?

p.s. I am 320 typed!

4931tom
20th Apr 2009, 21:42
I know that there is greater demand for A320 guys out there. I have yet to venture into the international scene, but will do so in a year or so. Just doing some ferry work now. Family issues are keeping me nailed down for a while.

I have around 11,500 hours and around 2-3K on the NG. I know that Korean, or someone out that direction will take guys with 0 time in type, type them, and let them go fly. It is just a matter of time before the pilot pool shallows, and I think the A320 will be the next airplane that will reflect supply and demand problems for airlines.

I think I could fly the rest of my career on the NG, but I just think having another card up my sleeve might be wise.

Eight Ball
22nd Apr 2009, 09:22
Wow $9,500 for a TR on the A320 ??!!that's news to me, not that I doubt you..... SimCenter in Miami quoted me in 2007 a price of 13,000 then I heard it went up to 15. but now 9.5??? hmmm.... looks like competition is heating up for your dollars boys and girls.

8k for an A320 is already too low but, with your hours, there's a chance that you might be able to negotiate it down to this or lower depending I guess on how much time you need for training. I know of a place that ask for 25k USD but they give a low hour trainee the full 30 left-30 right and SimCenter charges 13k for 16left-16right. for someone with more than 1,000 hrs total.

cheers

highflyer321757
22nd Apr 2009, 10:35
I have been reading these posts with interest since I have done a self sponsored A320 TR in 2005 here in the UK. Take my advice for what its worth in your country, but the price you pay for the TR is not whats important, whats important is the after care provided by the TRTO and their contacts with the airlines if any.

For comparison: I went for the more expensive (but still competitively priced) TR with a proper TRTO (GECAT,UK) who mainly work with airlines rather than with individuals. Part of the deal was a minimum of three interviews with their client airlines. I had three firm job offers within three weeks! I am flying since 3.5 years now here in the UK and never looked back at any costs. My friend went for a cheap JAR TR in the States, they waved him out the door upon completion and his logbook still shows 0 hours on Type after 2 years!

I appreciate that things might work slightly different in the USA but its something to consider..

By the way, I have understood that many F/Os in the USA fly around with a TR limited to SIC flying only? Here in EU you either have a command TR or not, interesting difference..

Good luck with the TR, the Airbus is a wise choice!

4931tom
22nd Apr 2009, 17:27
Thanks guys. I was in search of an FAA type, so they might be the choice. I heard that Pan Am does a pretty professional job down there. Airline types as instructors....some schools use graduates..???Don't know.....I think that there is going to be a lot of demand for 320 guys....that's why the shift from Boeing....

JotaJota
22nd Apr 2009, 22:53
Agreed somewhat on the shift from Boeing to AB.

Now to the Type Rating question... I just left the largest Airbus operator in the world and while looking for a job, me and several acquaintances found it out the hard way... No PIC=Worthless TR!!! Mark my words, and maybe spend the money wisely!

Best of luck!

mic310
23rd Apr 2009, 02:53
Not that i would want to now. But Does anyone know if you can put an A320 type rating on an Australian Licence?? Just looking ahead.

Plastic fantastic
23rd Apr 2009, 07:31
4931tom
You are about 10 years behind the times. The 320 type is the one to have but there are plenty of qualified and experienced people.The pilot pool is becoming an abyss.
Think about it , if you had to travel overseas to get a TR, it would cost you $1500 in airfares let alone accom.
Get in your Chevy, put the pedal to the metal and go to the $9500 place which is about half of what is the the going rate going by current rates and what training bonds are.
By the way only airline/airline equip command time ( jet basically) is counted when looking at international work .Frankly, "Ferry work" is dubious.
To the guy who suggested negotiating the price down because of your experience ( I presume less hours of training , therefore less money), if any organisation even contemplates that, I would look else where and report them to the authorities . There is a minimum hour course designed by the manufacturer and approved by the authority.This is a minimum not an estimate and the price would only go up from there.
This is not like getting an estimate form a new bathroom renovation,it's a required standard and it's safety!
I hope that this isn't the way that training is done in the US. If it is so, it would go some way towards answering some questions that have come up throughout the years. I have encountered several with "tens of thousands of hours" , even CIA time that they claim they couldn't log , and they could fly to save themselves.
Best of luck.

dartagnan
23rd Apr 2009, 21:13
I don't like panam, and you have to be very careful.

why? cuz panam use northwest syllabus, and the northwest syllabus is not the same as the airbus syllabus.

they changed many things, like checklist, procedures,...

you have to be sure you go for the airbus standard syllabus( and in english).

air france use a different syllabus, same thing for lufthansa,...

easyjet, and low cost use the airbus syllabus.

highflyer321757
28th Apr 2009, 22:10
Not sure what you are on about Dartagnan.

Most airlines use their own SOPs or syllabus as you call it. In case they are not exactly the same as the original Airbus ones, they are still derived from them. The changes might have been made due to incidents from the airline or to facilitate mixed type flying etc.

Once you join an airline you will get some sim sessions showing any differences anyway. I did the TR with original Airbus SOPs and joined a major airline which uses their own side writings / differences. At the end of the day SOPs are nothing more than mouth music, the TR is all about learning to fly the aircraft!

Eight Ball
30th Apr 2009, 05:44
MIC310 - yes it can be. Just send CASA all your training records, coordinate with them, pay the $20 or $25 they require to update your license. If you want it quickly, go to the Canberra office and sit there till they've done it. It will only take one day.

Metro man
30th Apr 2009, 05:56
MIC310

Before you spend the money, make sure the school is CASA approved, not all are. It is far easier to get A320 onto your Aussie licence from another licence than it is from training records.

If you are going to the States for a rating you may as well do the FAA ATP as well. The modest extra expense gives you another licence and an easier time when it comes to converting.

However if you want to work for Jetstar or Tiger you would be better off going to Alteon in Brisbane.

blow.n.gasket
30th Apr 2009, 12:18
Makes what Jetstar charge for their A320 endorsement appear outrageous.:eek:

derz
30th Apr 2009, 23:18
Can anyone recomend a TRTO in the U.S.

Even with European TRTOs dropping their prices, it still is a lot cheaper to get a FAA A320 rating.

Thanks
Derz

cskafan123
1st May 2009, 07:41
Guys,
I am just curious whether the Airbus type rating obtained in the States is acceptable by JAA. For Asia I presume you can use the American TRTO. Because if it was acceptable in Europe, each European operator would go to the USA,where is is a lot cheaper than in Toulouse,London,Francfurt....

cskafan

unimuts
1st May 2009, 15:45
4931tom check your pm's If your in need of an FAA Partner for the A320 Course begins mid May.

Uni

lostcomm
2nd May 2009, 07:03
Don't spend your $$$$. We have about 10 guys that finished their training and got their 500 hrs in with our airline and they can't get a job at the moment.

LC

unimuts
2nd May 2009, 16:39
Lostcomm

You wrote We have about 10 guys that finished their training and got their 500 hrs in with our airline do you mean they paid for those 500 hours ?

Uni

B737800Capt
2nd May 2009, 17:09
Might want to check with AeroStar Training Services in Orlando, FL. I don't think their price is quite as low as Pan Am but they offer intial type ratings on the A320 in only 10 days because of their distance learning software and online classes. This could be a significant time and money saver for you. Visit their website for more information at AeroStar Training Services - Boeing 737 Type Ratings, Airbus A320 Type Ratings, Flight Attendant Training (http://www.aerostartyperatings.com).

derz
4th May 2009, 02:12
Thanks guys for the information, it has bee a real help.

Regards
Derz

suren
4th May 2009, 17:39
Good day!!!!My name is Suren. I am from Armenia. I am a Commercial Pilot. I need a partner to pass with me A320 Type Rating in Stockholm,in RJ Academy. If anybody wants to join me,please write to my email: [email protected].

Phenom100
16th Jan 2012, 17:49
Anyone know where i can get an FAA A320 T/R OUTSIDE the USA??????

Left Wing
17th Jan 2012, 01:06
http://www.alphaaviationgroup.com/academies/alpha-aviation-group-uk/courses-on-offer/airbus-320-pilot-type-rating-course

Alpha Aviation Group | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/AlphaAvGrp)

Fly3
17th Jan 2012, 23:54
I am presently flying in an outfit that has employed guys who have obtained320 endorsements from some school in Florida. They have no idea about the aircraft systems, or how it flys, and are an accident waiting to happen. The fact is that you get what you pay for and courses at $9000 don't give you much. I am now working my notice to get out of here before the first smoking hole happens.

AviatorVette
18th Jan 2012, 13:45
wow TR for 8k, here I am paying 34k for a 320 rating at madrid, i have a LOI so I cant complain.

Ridge Runner
18th Jan 2012, 13:48
I am presently flying in an outfit that has employed guys who have obtained320 endorsements from some school in Florida. They have no idea about the aircraft systems, or how it flys, and are an accident waiting to happen. The fact is that you get what you pay for and courses at $9000 don't give you much. I am now working my notice to get out of here before the first smoking hole happens.

That's what cheap gets you!

RR

Ridge Runner
18th Jan 2012, 13:49
wow TR for 8k, here I am paying 34k for a 320 rating at madrid, i have a LOI so I cant complain.

Aviatorvette, really? What do you get for your money? A standard European TR?

RR

AviatorVette
18th Jan 2012, 14:11
Thats CAE madrid for you, I wouldnt say standard european TR. Its according to Indian standards, I think the requirements for India are higher, 58 hours of FFS if im not mistaken.

Ridge Runner
18th Jan 2012, 14:49
ah, okay. Yes, it has MCC and JOC (20 hours sim) plus the FBS and FFS for a TR under DGCA rules (64 hours). Does that include taxes?

AviatorVette
21st Jan 2012, 22:55
^

Yes 34k including taxes.. A bit steep, but worth the money.

wigwag
22nd Jan 2012, 20:38
Fly3

Where is that course for $9000 ? Cant imagine anyone running an FAA course that cheap.

WW

PT6A
22nd Jan 2012, 21:56
Pan Am do theirs for about 9k.... I hear it is really not very good though.

PT6A

takamasa
27th Jan 2012, 17:23
hey guys,

i am holding a canadian CPL and looking to do my a320 type rating in the states.

I have some concerns regarding licensing.

Do i have to convert my Canadian to FAA for my training, then convert back to Canadian after type rating training?

Or i can just apply to TC with my training recording from the states?

If i need conversion, should i do a checkride with a TC certified examiner in canada before i can obtain a sticker on my license?

thanks all for reply, thank you ,thank you

john

rdane042
17th Feb 2012, 16:01
I am on the same boat!
Other than the Type Rating from USA, you also need to write your IARTA before you can get TC sign-off!
Have you decided where to get your type rating? Are you looking for A320 or B737?

Left Wing
17th Feb 2012, 16:10
see how confidently he adds TOGA... this is what good training gets you..:D

Air Arabia A320 Base Training - Multi-Crew Pilot License (MPL) - YouTube

Natstrackalpha
15th Sep 2013, 10:33
Hey, hey, hey, hey,

There is nothing wrong with Pan Am nor the NorthWest syllabus, also pan am integrate their experience from years of experience grown up though Pan Am and have links to airlines and others and give realistic updates of pilot hiring, plus they are in touch with the airlines they work with for their crews (they don`t just do individual pilots) they are one of the oldest, if not, the oldest in the business.

~Money well spent, if you go there. Whats all this "be careful" s***. Of course everyone has to be careful, all the time, everywhere -- but there is nothing wrong with Pan Am or their training or their experience or their professionalism - ask the airlines whose crews they train.

ZFT
15th Sep 2013, 10:58
About a month ago, All Nippon announced they will acquire Pan Am Holdings, including Pan Am International Flight Academy so there may well be some changes?

Natstrackalpha
16th Sep 2013, 10:36
Daym!

There goes the neighborhood!

Typical, it took me soo long to get it together, money etc. and, now this s--t. PanAm were a good bunch. I could have learned a lot there.