PDA

View Full Version : What age did you get your first flying job at?

Grambo
20th Apr 2009, 18:52
First officer...

Dozza2k
20th Apr 2009, 19:44
21. RHS a320 family

D2k.

Age is irrelevent really, I was told to 'go for it' instead of going to uni by all the pilots I could speak to. So I did and I was a very lucky boy. Initially on the course (went integrated, and no my parents aren't loaded, HSBC currently own me) and a few people were openly telling me I wouldn't be hired at my age. Take it on the chin.

Silly them.

Grambo
20th Apr 2009, 19:49
Thats pretty young Dozza. Im 18, nearly 19 and have no idea what route to go down. I could go to uni, but I feel it could waste 4 years.

Im thinking of saving up thousands and doing integrated, or modular full time, whatevers cheapest, because right now modular would be alot of hassle. Im scared to take out a 50k loan.

skiptoit
20th Apr 2009, 20:12
22, Jetstream 32 FO for a small regional in the UK. Totally agree with the points Dozza2k made. I was also told to go for it, however, I did so at the age of 17 and found I was too young and too immature at the time, took some time out, did other things and came back to it when I was 21. In fact, I think Dozza2k may even have been on my initial training course when I was 17!

bigboyal
20th Apr 2009, 20:16
Three (or four) years at university will set you back the best part of 25k at the very least! I've personally come to the conclusion that the majority of degrees are a complete and utter waste of time, especially if you intend to pursue a career as a pilot.

Save the money and put it towards flight training whilst learning a trade or something to back you up if it all goes tits up. Of course you'll miss out on four years of drinking, womanising and dressing like a tramp, but you'll have plenty of time to make up for it! ;)

Or do a degree in vending machine management or something similar and try and get onto a UAS.

Grambo
20th Apr 2009, 20:39
Nice one.

Did you take out a loan or save save save?

Mikehotel152
20th Apr 2009, 20:45
[Definite and inexcusable thread creep, sorry]

Uni is definitely not appropriate for everybody, despite the spin from the Labour Party which seeks to reduce the unemployment figures by convincing everybody they need Tertiary Education, and it is now damn expensive.

When I did it, there were no tuition fees and we all got (small) grants and low-interest student loans. I think I came away with £6k in debt. I'd only recommend it for born academics or those for whom it represents the only route into a profession. That's not the case for most pilots. Mind you, perhaps the ATPL theory course could be stretched into a degree course, but that's a new debate entirely! :eek:

But I still think that leaving any (expensive) decisions about your future until you are in your twenties is a sensible idea. I think I matured just as much between 18 and 24 as I had between 14 and 18. And I seem to remember that I had an awful lot of fun in my early twenties, like travelling, that I couldn't have had doing a high pressure responsible job like piloting.

So, in answer to the original question, I haven't got a job yet, but I will definitely be in my thirties when I get that first break! Er, that's assuming, of course, that this job market doesn't get even worse!!! :}

gdnhalley
20th Apr 2009, 21:15
45, had to wait for the eyesight rules to change.

Aerouk
20th Apr 2009, 21:25
Grambo,

You would be daft not to go to University in Scotland, it's all paid for. Theres really no rush at the moment, 3-4years of higher education wont do any harm at all.

PilotPieces
20th Apr 2009, 21:34
Do you have to be Scotish though?

mattyh1986
20th Apr 2009, 21:57
I opted to go to university.

I'm now 22, £16,000 worth of debt and a 2.1 In business studies. Would I change it if I had the time again....hell no!

I want to become a Pilot and I'm so grateful I have my degree, especially when all you read is about people struggling and having to find other ways to make money. My 2.1 opens doors to undergrad schemes, and makes me more employable, and if I cant get employed I have a lot of business ideas and can just start my own business (my degree was Business Studies: Entrepreneurship, so I did 3 years of how to start up and grow businesses)

However, for me the most important thing about university was my time on the UAS (University Air Squadron). I had unlimited (within reason) access to free flying, with instructors of the highest calibre. I gained 38 hours and didn't pay a penny, infact they paid me. The flying opportunities within the UAS are excellent, and there is always windows to get a free ride in other RAF aircraft, Merlin's, Chinook's, Tucano etc..

As well as the flying, you gain so much life experience, the UAS is designed to mould people into officer candidates so its all about promoting leadership and teamwork. There are excellent opportunities to travel and go on expeditions as well, I was lucky enough to go Skiing for a week I paid £300 for it but I got paid while out there and earned £350 so over all a profit of £50 for going skiing for a week (thank you very much). As well as skiing I've done surfing, caving, white water rafting, diving, and that's just a few and just scratching the surface of the opportunities available within the UAS. If you do go to uni, i fully advise you to join it.

In your FTO and Airline interviews when they ask you about leadership and teamwork you will be able to talk for hours.

Now I'm about to sit my finals (start in 3 weeks) and then I will either get a job to save up for training or have a chat with Mr Bank manager depending on when I see the economy picking up.

Don't be so quick to dismiss university, they say during a time of recession the best place you can be is education.

Grambo
20th Apr 2009, 22:03
I have no idea what to do though. It - uni - is all paid for, but 4 years is 4 years that could be used to raise capital for integrated.

Im an apprentice accountant atm, the money is peanuts. I could become qualified by 22 though. Id say, in 5-7 years I could raise enough for integrated. Im scared to take out a 50k loan, the interest accrued is frightening.

Accountancy is another debate, Im not sure its really for me as a way of funding the training.

mattyh1986
20th Apr 2009, 22:18
If you take out a loan just be sure you have a fall back plan. And be sure you are aware of worst case scenario and that you will be able to deal with it.

For me worst case scenario is I finish training and cant get a job, in that situation I have my degree to fall back on and make payments while living at home and searching for an aviation job. Money will suck for first few years of my career but if I want to be in that left hand seat one day its just something you have to accept.

Just remember, taking a loan is serious business, its a HUGE responsibility and its not monopoly money, its real money, too many people see a loan as a quick fix to get what they want. The only reason I'm considering a loan is because I belive I have the ability to deal with things if the :mad: hits the fan, and I believe the economy will be recovering in 12-24 months, but that's just my opinion and i'm still gathering research and have not made a decision yet.

Aerouk
20th Apr 2009, 23:01
Grambo,

4 years is nothing, especially when your only 18 at the moment! Go to University, save up, drink loads, chat to plenty of chicks and then come out of it all with a pretty good CV and some solid work skills. Piece of cake!

PilotPieces,

Yeh you need to be Scottish.

EpsilonVaz
20th Apr 2009, 23:52
21 on the A320 series.

Left school at 16 also, doing an Aerobatics Certification in the Summer!

MartinCh
21st Apr 2009, 00:54
PilotPieces,

Yeh you need to be Scottish.
To be detail nit-picker, one could be non-UK EU national to get the same student loan (or, in case of Scotland, 'endowment' fees upon graduation). The only thing that makes a difference is length of time in the UK/Scotland for other student funding, ie maintenance loans and grants. School bursaries are another thing, not dependent on time spent in the UK.

Also, strictly speaking, Welsh, N Irish or English could qualify for the same conditions as Scottish folks studying in Scotland as long as they are 'ordinarily resident' in Scotland. Couple years should do.

BTW, the phrase 'first flying job' and then asking for FO positions, that's seriously jet jockey wannabeism, IMO.

BSmuppet
21st Apr 2009, 07:58
Easy answer:

Unfortunately this thread has slipped into a UNI debate. My personal opinion is that if you can get UNI paid for (or with as little debt as possible) then do it - especially in Scotland.

I don't know what the Golden rule is in flying but surely "Have a Plan B" must be one of them. And a uni degree will make you employable if the pilot thing does not work out.

However....

judging by your posts, you are eager to start flying as soon as recession stops. Which means would it be better to get yourself a job now and save for 3-4 years rather than go uni and earn nothing?..only to have to spend another few years working to save up so you may not begin flying until 8 years time!

(8 years time plus 2 years training could mean in ten years time, there could be another trough in the demand for pilots given the cyclic nature of things!)

Its a tough call mate where you would be the only one who can decide that.

BSMuppets advice would be to get a job NOW and pay as you fly. Go mod (stay within exam limit timings etc) come out in 4 years time with a fATPL, no debt and a rosy market for 250hr pilots :}

CAT3C AUTOLAND
21st Apr 2009, 08:34
32. I loving it :)

phillipsmw
21st Apr 2009, 08:48
Finished Uni at 21 and began Flight training.

First flying job at 23. B737

G SXTY
21st Apr 2009, 09:58
First flying job - turboprop FO - aged 36. Part of me wishes I'd done it when I was 18, but I wouldn't have had sufficient money or maturity.

combineharvester
21st Apr 2009, 10:25
Graduated Uni age 22. PPL instructor age 23. Saab 340 FO age 25

CABUS
21st Apr 2009, 11:02
After four years on check-in/ sound engineering saving the monies for flight training I managed safety pilot on the Navajo at 24 and the A320/21 and soon 330, not long after.

quant
21st Apr 2009, 11:49
A340-600 age 21

Say again s l o w l y
21st Apr 2009, 14:29
23. Sd3-60.

BSmuppet
21st Apr 2009, 15:46
quant,

you wish mate:ok:

preduk
21st Apr 2009, 16:57
Just to add on the Scotland degree, in Scotland you get the YSB and tutition fees given to you each year AND a student loan (if you need it).

I was getting £3,000 Young Student Bursary, all my tutition fees paid for (no loan) and a student loan of around £1,000-2000 just to help pay for things.

I know a few English students who haven't been given the same benefits as Scottish based students, in fact EU students usually get better benefits.

I left my first course debt free and ended up taking some extra funding to do another course.

There is a difference in time (according to people on these forums) standard BSc,BA etc takes 3 years but students usually do a 4th year at hons level.

Our holidays are huge though, May to Sept each year including the usual easter/christmas breaks.

Kempus
21st Apr 2009, 19:16
First job at 27 and had the time of my life 18-27 doing other things! Would like to have started a bit younger but would have missed out on some gooooood times :E and i think it may have thought that as i flew with a skipper the other day who was only 26!

Loving the job tho!

adverse-bump
21st Apr 2009, 19:20
Flying Instructor 21
Air taxi pilot 22
First Officer 22

ricster
21st Apr 2009, 19:58
I'm in the same boat as you but only I'm my first year at Uni.

In the NUAS and hope to get my Bungie wings by the end of the first year. But finding it hard to get down to the airfield to get flying done!

Option C
21st Apr 2009, 22:52
The mighty Dash 8 - aged 22.

Rob's Dad
22nd Apr 2009, 06:04
Hope for you oldies....

FI aged 42, FO jet - Holding Pool - 42, FO bizjet 43 (just), 2 yrs from qualifying to first TR. Hang in there!

Sciolistes
22nd Apr 2009, 06:19
First flying job at 40 on the 737.

Viper-NL
22nd Apr 2009, 08:50
first job at 19, flying a commercial twin prop.

First airliner job at 21, Dash 8-300/Q400
At 24 swiched to B767-300ER

ksa5223
22nd Apr 2009, 09:41
21, C210 in the Bush.

How does one acquire a FIRST job, in a jetliner?

Having a Teenage 200hr Noob FO in a jet is ridiculous.

the_weakest_link
22nd Apr 2009, 09:46
First job was as an instructor at age 17 (but only just, as was 2 weeks before my 18th birthday).

ToneTheWone
22nd Apr 2009, 12:09
First sector as F/O on the SD3-60 was on my 38th Birthday. Stuck this for a couple of years then had a few years doing something else. Went back to flying and got a job in bizjets aged 44. No regrets about leaving it late as this is my third career. 46 now and this may or may not be my final career.

landedoutagain
22nd Apr 2009, 12:44
16 - seriously. I got the job on the basis i would have my licence by the time i started. PA25 and i was 17 when i started. The 400hrs or so at 18 didnt help getting sponsored training though. Very nearly got Dash8 FO at 21 - but never quite managed right place at the right time!

Crazy Fokker
22nd Apr 2009, 20:34
What a massive spread of ages we've seen here, very encouraging for those at either end of the spectrum. I went to uni after a year out, changed courses, had a year out to re-hab an injury, graduated a few years ago, worked in IT for a couple of years and aiming to start training soon by which time I will be 28.

In hindsight I don't know whether I would DEFINITELY re-do my degree if I had the chance, I think it is the more sensible option to get a degree overall. But despite the encouraging stories encountered on this forum, there is that nagging sense of wanting to 'get into the game' a little earlier....hell, I'm not even in it yet!!!

But yes, the life experience (and pure good times) you gain from going to uni is really worth it...it's just ticking another box and learning more about the world...developing your character. And at 18-20 3-4 yrs, even more, that's nothing...

Do what suits YOU best.

A degree behind you when you can't find any flying jobs is certainly not going to do you any harm.

Desk-pilot
23rd Apr 2009, 07:38
Well, narrowly missed BA Cadet scheme aged 22 in 1991 when they froze the scheme due first Gulf War, spent 3 years with an insurance company, then joined BA in IT. Did 8 years there bailed out, Oxford Integrated self funded and fell back on IT for a further 18 months before landing a job at Flybe DH8 Q400 aged 38 (just).

Been doing it two years, utterly love it. Wanted to do this my whole life. The other day a Captain asked me if it had lived up to expectations and I said absolutely - it's one of the very best jobs in the world. A bit more money would be nice as F/O turboprop is a bit of a struggle with a child, mortgage etc but I wouldn't ever want to go back to my twice as well paid IT job. My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. In short if you feel you are born to fly there's no alternative and what you do is far far more important than what you earn.

One other piece of advice a Captain gave me as I admired a 777 one day - he said 'It doesn't matter whether you have ten feet of aeroplane behind you or two hundred - the job is the same, the view is the same it's flying that counts.'

Desk-pilot

duveldrinker
23rd Apr 2009, 08:27
39 Flight Instructor full time .

LAX
24th Apr 2009, 00:47
19-23, University Mech Engineering=very important inthe learning curve if you can afford to do it these days.

20yrs = First solo C152 but no money....................

35yrs B737 F/O

39yrs B737 Capt

ElitePilot
24th Apr 2009, 01:33
20 PPL
28 FI
28 MEP charter
28 FO A320 (a busy year!)

Cavallier
24th Apr 2009, 02:20
Flying Instructor 25

RHS A330 28

RHS 747-400 32

Lots of blood sweat and tears. Good luck to everyone!!!

The Cav:cool:

Bond
24th Apr 2009, 06:34
A380, aged 16, with 1,500 hours on type, all self funded!

Bond
24th Apr 2009, 06:41
With regard to the Uni. debate: Some airlines, in Europe, won't even look at you without University Degree, or without another language! Something to think about!

Paper Lad
24th Apr 2009, 08:50
PPL at 31, full time flying instructor at 37, air taxi at 39, Bandit F/O at 39, J41 F/O at 40, EMB145 at 41, 737 at 43.
First command at 46.

Late starter due to mid-life crisis, career change, all via the self improver route and didn't pay for a single type rating. Age don't matter;).

I wouldn't change any of it, but I certainly would not want to be starting out now.

PL

handflown
24th Apr 2009, 08:52
In the Uk degrees just don't matter. The ATPL is your degree. When you train to do another profession you don't do a random degree first you just train for that job for heavens sake.

3-4 years at uni just puts you behind. I have had this debate so many times and over the years it is always the same. The only difference between people who went to uni and the others is that ex uni students are older and in more debt.

A degree is a tremendous accomplishment and something you should be proud of but I think a new guy coming into this industry should just concentrate on Flying and save his money. Remember you have to pay all the debt back one day!!!

Wanabees just go for it. You will never look back.

Charliebravo01
24th Apr 2009, 08:54
17 Flying Scholarship C152
18 Captain of the Mighty Bulldog Tmk1
22 Captain of the Mighty Tucano
26 RAF Wings
27-38 2500 hrs Tornado
38 CPL IR
Actively looking for the next cockpit

8028410q
24th Apr 2009, 11:05
17 RAF Flying Scolarship, PPL
19 Failed Basic Jet Training in the RAF
35 PPL (H)
38 CPL/IR
41 First flying job, 737 EFIS (still there now!)

8028410q

flyingwardy
24th Apr 2009, 12:31
16 Glider Pilots License + Silver 'C'
18 PPL
28 CPL/FI

Abagnale
24th Apr 2009, 12:31
Why do people with the degrees love so much to put them in front of anybody else,I have a degree aswell,but the only reason I needed it is to pay for my training...If degree is such an important requirement as many point out here,let's just change the CPL requirements to a 3 year bachelor's degree and stop arguing about it,for :mad: sake...My point:it doesn't matter if you have degree or not,if you want to fly fATPL is enough,I've seen people with degrees who were horrible pilots and people without who were truly professionals,so stop moaning about academical achievements,please.

Aerouk
24th Apr 2009, 13:14
Why do people with the degrees love so much to put them in front of anybody else,I have a degree aswell,but the only reason I needed it is to pay for my training...If degree is such an important requirement as many point out here,let's just change the CPL requirements to a 3 year bachelor's degree and stop arguing about it,for http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/censored.gif sake...My point:it doesn't matter if you have degree or not,if you want to fly fATPL is enough,I've seen people with degrees who were horrible pilots and people without who were truly professionals,so stop moaning about academical achievements,please.

Perhaps you should calm your nickers down and re-read the thread. No one was saying you need to have a degree, they were just saying it's a good thing to have.

A degree doesn't determine the skill of the pilot, you are correct, but a degree does give you a lot of life experiences which you can carry into your career with you.

I'm not saying a degree is for everyone, because it's not. People should consider whether they have the interest and motivation to study for 3-4years because its not easy sometimes.

Allocate_on_Arrival
24th Apr 2009, 14:10
17 = Joined a popular FTO
20 = A320/321
:ok:
AoA

BetpumpS
24th Apr 2009, 15:53
19 -737-200
21-742-F (lucky b*stard me! - in all honestly felt bloody privileged. Classic cockpit. Sh1t autopilot. )
25-744

University of life me!

P.s Getting the 742-F was via the "who you know" method. Not bad for someone with 650 hrs on the 732.

NEVER STOP NETWORKING.

Grambo
24th Apr 2009, 19:17
How is this possible? With regards to post 45.

Self funded at 16? 50k?

skyhighbird
24th Apr 2009, 21:29
Grambo,

for the love of God please tell me you are not serious.

No one else commented about Post 45.

ba038
24th Apr 2009, 22:16
with regard sto post 45 i think hes come from a wealthy background and done hour build on simulators etc,or he knows some top people but otherwise its impossible lol ,thts crazy 16 lol.isnt that imposssible.

LAX
25th Apr 2009, 00:42
I was just saying (for info) that between 19-23 i was at university (with no money). For my own personel development it was great.

And i agree you dont need a degree to be an airline pilot! But always useful to fall back on during hard times and loss off medical etc.

Abagnale,

Dont know who you are, but with your attitude I hope never to have the misfortune to be rostered to fly with you. Get a life pal:ok:

Aerouk = Wise words. Thanks for your support.

dan1165
25th Apr 2009, 07:02
5 PPL
6 CPL/IR
7 FI
9 FO 737
10 CPT 737
11 FO 747
13 FO 747
14 CPT space shuttle

:cool:

dan1165
25th Apr 2009, 07:10
Sorry at 13 was cpt 747 :8

duveldrinker
25th Apr 2009, 07:38
Could it be that the seriousness of a reply is inversely related to the number of entries ?

Sepi
25th Apr 2009, 07:41
Thats amazing dan! They do start you young in france. I hadn't even heard of the french space race but I am sure you will be heading it by your 15th birthday.

As for me,
ATPL at 23
FO by the time I get to 35 by the look of things

FI 21
25th Apr 2009, 10:32
20 Fligh Instructor and towing pilot...23 Airbus A320 first officer.

supramkiv
4th May 2009, 01:33
Lots of financy type jobs and a degree in biz/marketing, then -

25 ppl
27 full time commercial training
29 finished said training, 5 months later FO Avro RJ85

modular route/over 16 never seemed a disadvantage to me during job applications

Matt101
4th May 2009, 10:52
Hmmm in the year I spent at UCL before transferring my credit out to the OU so I could start earning money I didn't really learn any life skills but I did learn where the yellow card bars are. I have learnt most of my life skills since really.

Anyway Uni or not is really a decision to be made by you and nobody else - I certainly don't think it did me any harm but I still have several years before I get that Hons Degree from the OU! Meanwhile I had my first Solo today on the C172 whilst on a Cadet scheme somewhere in the ME - age 24 - love my life - generally all down to a LOT of luck though, with a nice job waiting for me if I work hard enough.

Right I should really be celebrating......

day.nap
4th May 2009, 11:18
27 - Completed Integrated ATPL
29 - SSTR Turboprop (ATR)
30 - F/O ATR

iflytb20
4th May 2009, 20:50
PPL at 19
CPL at 21
F/O at 22
ATPL at 25
Capt at 26 :) [B737-800]

bfisk
4th May 2009, 21:37
22, FO on Air Ambulance King Air

FlyingOW
4th May 2009, 22:07
22 M.Eng Aero Eng (no regrets about uni, had time of my life)
23 Figuring out how to pay for training
24 Solo
25 CPL/IRA & CFI/II
27 FO DC10-30F
28 FO B767-300ER
33 CPT A320:cool:

OW

crazypilot
6th May 2009, 21:07
PPL at 18
Degree in Aero Eng at 21
MSc in Air Transport Management at 22
1st job at company making airplane engines at 23
2nd job at overseas company making airplane avionics bits at 24
Spot of bad health at 25-26
Now coming up to 27, still in desk job and itching to get in a plane.

What the hell am I now waiting for??!!!!!

You guys who are already "there" have no idea how envious I am... must join you soon :)

mr.tos
7th May 2009, 04:22
Sorry at 13 was cpt 747 http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/nerd.gif

On flight Sim :cool:

fade to grey
7th May 2009, 07:41
20....Capt on Grumman AA5 (AFI) :}
25....FO Citation V :)
31....FO B757
34...Capt B757

BetpumpS
7th May 2009, 10:13
My personal opinion having read some of the replies here is that I think there should be a minimum age before you can be an airline pilot. Circa 24.

I look back and think to myself that it would have been good to have a degree, enjoy life a little bit more - the whole life experience thing is extremely important.

I see pilots in their early twenties at functions for example, out and about etc and the majority have the personality of an aubergine. And it scares me to think that I may have been perceived like that.

Its a difficult one but to all those late twenty/early thirty year-olds seeing these replies with Captains at 25/26 - don't feel too disheartened. You haven't missed any boat.

cptdivz
7th May 2009, 16:34
just had a look at your profile mate and it says your flying 744- not bad for a 29 year old- would you mind sharing your story from after A-levels how you made it so far so quick. Many congrats' by the way pal:ok:!

Regards.

Denti
7th May 2009, 18:04
Started glider flying at 14, however waited until 20 before i got my PPL (glider flying only) simply because i never really needed it. Startet my ATPL course at 26 and got my ATPL at 28, my first job as FO on a 737 half a year later (and no, didn't pay for the TR of course).

Still payed as an FO but don't have to fly for the last half year, however that can change again although i do enjoy having 22 days off per month (2 hours standby on two days per week, activation time 24 hours).

Happy Wanderer
7th May 2009, 20:08
20+ yrs corporate background (banking/HR), started PPL in late 2005, (f)ATPL completed July last year, just as things started to go tits-up. Now full-time salaried FI(A), and loving every chuffing minute of it (yes really, all 46 yrs of me)....... :)

HW

BetpumpS
7th May 2009, 21:51
captdivz,

thanks for your interest. Althought the story is far from interesting and certainly not written in a way that would compete with G-SXTY. I have copied and pasted it from a previous post on a thread called "low hour pilots".

As for how I got there, it is irrelevant because frankly the industry is nothing like it was when I got my first job. If I came out of training now, I'd be Type rated on a Mcdonalds Chip Vat. Also my financial circumstances (or should I say my Dad's) were probably a little more healthy than most wanabees today. However since you asked:

My dad (airline pilot retd) remarried a filipina woman and moved out to Manila during my early teens gaining dual citizenship at the time along with me. During my school holiday between 1st year A-Levels and 2nd year, I started my PPL in the Philippines going solo a day after my 17th birthday. Completed a conversion back in England and flew weekends during my last year of A levels building up hours. By the time I finished my A levels, I had a PPL and 106 hours incld night rating. Did ATPLs full time then Completed CPL and ME/IR

I was over 18 and a half by then. TR were relatively cheaper back then so went on the 734 TR. One day after I finished the TR, got a phonecall from dad in Manila that there were positions available in the Philippines on a 737-200. Was on the next flight out and had an interview that week.

A few months after my 19th birthday, I flew my first flight out of MNL RWY24 to Mactan.

I dont really know if anyone can relate to this as the industry is pretty poor. Apart from financial assistance, I was lucky to have dual citizenship as well for a country where aviatiion was booming at the time - PAL pilots seeking better pay, pilots from Cebu pacific and other airlines moving onto PAL and thus creating a momentary demand for FOs.

Right now, I don't think any country has a great demand for pilots - esp 250hr cadets.

Wher am I now? At 25, I got a job on a 744. I wont bore you with my ramblings. Just go through my past posts and you'll read how I'm not really enjoying it much.

feel free to pm me. but you wont here from me until at least tuesday. might check my mails at the hotel though.

p.s forgot to mention that at 21 I got the best job I ever had - 742F position then at 25 I left the best job I ever had and moved to the 744. Followed the yankee dollar to the airlines rather than following my heart. :(

Got the horn
8th May 2009, 03:08
University 22-26
PPL 26
CPL/MEIR/Instructor 27
Desk job 27-31 (part time flying on the side)
Instructing fulltime 32-now (33.9)

Flying Mechanic
8th May 2009, 07:05
22-26 Aircraft Engineer
27 CPL
30 First job Bush pilot 182/206
31 Capt on BN2/PN68
34 Capt on Aztec/ C402
35 F/0 On Beech 1900, then Capt
37 F/O MD11
39 F/O A330

B200Drvr
8th May 2009, 08:18
33- FI at flight school
33 - FO on Air Ambulance
34 - P1 in Govt. airwing
39 - P1 bizjet

Flap Sup
12th May 2009, 12:28
27 CPL

A few hard years

35 F/O TP - loving it!

boeingbus2002
12th May 2009, 20:54
Flap Sup:
What did you do in between 27 and 35? Was it flying related/instruction??
Just interested in how you managed with the gap between qualifying and getting a job. What did you do to keep your head in the field? :ok:

Blueskyrich
12th May 2009, 21:16
24 - PPL

26 - CPL/IR

27 just - Dash 8 F/O

Best job the world. Wouldn't change anything I've done.

Dihaz
18th May 2009, 15:37
16 - PPL

18 - CPL/ME

19 - ME/IR

19 - SAAB 2000

who knows what will come next....

captbod
18th May 2009, 16:26
36 PPL

38 FATPL

39 Shorts 360

42 ERJ 145

44 B757

Us old gits can do it with a bit of luck thrown in.:ok:

LeftHeadingNorth
18th May 2009, 16:50
19 - CPL
22 - fATPL
23- B737 F/O

Enjoying it although this business can be depressing from time to time!... It's such a tight market out there...

Clandestino
18th May 2009, 17:23
19 - PPL
21 - CPL + fATPL
23 - ATR-42 F/O
29 - A-320 F/O

Currently 32 and doing line training in Q400's LHS.

cumulonimbussurfer
18th May 2009, 19:09
20 Ppl
23 Cpl Ir
25 B737 Fo
30 B737 Cpt

Cabalero
21st May 2009, 15:18
FO B-737 at age 28.

ShirleyNot
21st May 2009, 16:47
23 - PPL
25 - CPL/IR
26-28 Flight Instructor
28 - F/O Dash8
30 - F/O A320
33 - F/O A330

zonnair
21st May 2009, 17:25
First Job?

25. A330

woenwaar
21st May 2009, 21:03
21 Co-pilot C208
21 C206
21 Ga8 Airvan
22 Captan C208
24 Co-pilot b1900
24 Be58

Bahee 96
25th May 2009, 15:32
17 PPL
19 737 NG F/O
22 737 NG CAPT

Sounds better than it really is, I work for Ryanair!!!

ba038
25th May 2009, 18:00
you mention u fly for ryanair where did u train ....and what year did u get a job

RoyHudd
25th May 2009, 19:12
42 IMC rating, then Class 1 Medical.
43 CPL/IR (FAA)
43 CPL/IR (CAA)
44 SD3-30
45 F 27
47 A320/A321
49 +A330 (Mixed Fleet)
55 Still there

Lost job twice, due 9/11 and airline bankruptcy.

Not sure I'd recommend it to a young 'un, unless they were 100% committed. (I was)

EGCC4284
25th May 2009, 23:26
PPL 32

CPL 37

Modular

First job 737's at 39 with 440 hours

Lil' Pilot
26th May 2009, 16:33
CPL at 20

First job F/O EMB145 at 21. Unfortunately company went bankrupt.

F/O Fokker 50 at 22

Switched to F/O Fokker 70/ 100 at 24.

Cheers!

betpump5
27th May 2009, 11:59
(posted before, I think, under a different profile that no longer works:ugh:)

19 - 737-200

21 - 742-F

25 - 744 SFO

(currently looking to go back to a short/medium haul airline who will also pay for a TR but no one will take me :suspect:)

727Man
28th May 2009, 19:16
22- C141B FE
31- B727 FE
38 -PPL
CPL
39- JAA ATPL
Still B727FE
44- B727 FO

Took 5 years to get to the Right Seat after all licenses completed!

IrishJetdriver
28th May 2009, 22:21
36 - RHS 146 Flybe
37 - RHS DHC8-200/300 Flybe
38 - RHS 146 again Flybe
42 - LHS 146 Flybe
43 - LHS 737-800 Ryanair

I must also add that the TRs have been harder as I got older and more stupid, but on a brighter note I never paid for any of them. :ok:

I also did TRs for the RJ100 and DHC8-400 but never flew them.

markieboy1234
29th May 2009, 11:41
Speaking to a FO with BA out of Gatwick, he knows of a few less than 20year old FO's flying for BA out of Gatwick.

Flyingstig
26th Jun 2009, 10:12
First Solo on 31 at Kai Tak at 17 in 1968

19 F/O HS748

I really ought to get a proper job sometime!!!