PDA

View Full Version : Wagga Air Centre

captainabcdefg
20th Apr 2009, 16:32
Hi guys,

Just would like some information on Wagga Air Centre, eg, what planes they fly? How big is their fleet? What are the minimum hour requirements? Do they employ instructors etc.

Thanks for your help.

airman1
20th Apr 2009, 23:49
Check there website out - http://www.waggaaircentre.com/ (http://www.waggaaircentre.com/). Don’t know too much about their instructing scene I noticed they have two C172 sitting on their line last time I was there. As for their fleet I have only ever seen C310's and PA31’s parked out back. (and the C172's)

Someone else can prob provide better info

Hope this helps good luck. :ok:

geeup
21st Apr 2009, 10:59
Bank runs are done on C310s & PA31s however they were looking at Caravans (endos paid for by employees). GPS endos required at pilots expense..
My opinion is try working for someone else

Triple Captain
21st Apr 2009, 11:04
Been there... Done that...

Run and dont look back.

Gayviators
22nd Apr 2009, 04:55
One of the few operators out there who dontpay for anything, ie ME-CIR renewals and endorsements etc, as 'if you want to work for Wagga Air, you are just like a tradie who needs to bring their tools for the job'.

Though most tradies I know are given an allowance to pay for their tools, and certainly dont pay upwards of $50,000 to get their trade.

Hours are good on the bank run, but the professionalism of the boss leaves something to be answered for. If you want to be his 'labourer' then give it a crack!

Dragun
22nd Apr 2009, 06:49
"but the professionalism of the boss leaves something to be answered for"

Or his wife...

Triple Captain
23rd Apr 2009, 01:38
"but the professionalism of the boss leaves something to be answered for"

Or his wife...

No no! On those cold rubbish nights.. she can pre flight your plane for you!

:ugh:

Oh oh... no one has said anything yet about the funnly little man in the office!!!

Gen. Anaesthetic
24th Apr 2009, 20:03
Hi Guys,

Just noticed a post about Wagga Air Centre requiring employees to pay for their own MECIR etc' while working for this outfit. THIS IS UNLAWFUL. Once you are an employee of a company, the company is required by law to pay for training, checks or tests that are required as part of the job. I have seen employers try to get around this by arguing that these 'employees' are in fact contractors and therefore required to pay their own way. They get employees to provide them with invoices, just like a contractor does, and do other things to make the relationship look like it's a contract situation but at the end of the day there are some tests that can easily be applied to work out whether this is a contractor relationship or an employee/employer relationship. And the fact is, in 95% of cases the test would show quite easily that the contractor relationship does not exist. I can elaborate if anyone is interested.

The other scenario that is mentioned is that the employee is considered an apprentice and therefore required to look after themself. Wrong. There is no such thing as an apprenticeship as a pilot.

The scary thing for the employer in this situation is that once an employee has left they have I think 7 years after their departure to redress any underpayment. So for 7 years a former employee might come after them seeking payment for the cost of MECIR's etc'. There is a legal process to go through here, but government agencies are very supportive of people who have clearly been exploited.

JIM1984
25th Apr 2009, 10:20
Hmmmm.........I agree and disagree with some of what has been said with reguards to wagga air centre as a ex employee I was never once put into a situation where I had to 'bend the rules' I can think of numerous situations where I had to call CC or his wife and even the little man in the office for that matter and not once did I ever get backed into a corner, and that is the truth. Infact I would argue that point till blue in the face. Sure the aircraft are old and tatty but what aircraft (piston twins) arnt these days and yes the point about renewels not being covered is a pain I agree with you on that one. But i guess the flipside to this is that wagga air centre proved to be a great training ground for me and iam sure for lots of other pilots out there (dealing with fog, storms, lighting, min fuel, diversions and instrument approaches) and to be honest what other job in the country will give that sort of exposure in a piston twin, and as we all know there is no substitute for experience in this game. So before you start bagging the company do a bit research on them and if you dont like what your hearing try somewhere else. Simple!!!!!:ok:

Wing Root
26th Apr 2009, 11:29
....what other job in the country will give that sort of exposure in a piston twin

Well, GAM... and their blokes certainly aren't paying for renewals. I was also told by CC that I would need to pay for all my training and the ICUS hours required if I wanted a job with WAC... Politely told him no thanks. Wish more blokes would do the same.

drshmoo
28th Apr 2009, 05:21
I always found CC and his wife to be great people. They were always supportive of my decisions and they never questioned if I took more fuel due to WX. I never flew over weight and was never pressured. The A/C where old but were not falling apart. We weren't allowed to depart unless we could get in. That was from toll and wagga air. No need to be burning fuel unless you need to. Some weeks did 25 hours PA31. Loved the flying and bank running lifestyle. Great comradery amongst the bankrunners from all companies. Jetcraft weren't supposed to talk to us and GAM but some did and we all had a laugh while drinking coffee, waiting for the A/C to be loaded and some Fridays we would go for a beer at flyers.

The renewal bit needs adressing. I was trying to address this back in 2004/5. Lucky for me I left B4 mine was up. It wouldn't be hard to get a testingofficer to jump on the run and do some approaches etc.

Overall I enjoyed the 10 months that I flew for wagga air.

GAM is a great company if you get a chance, they have the renewal thing covered. They do lots of twin work and pay full time. Wagga you are casual but full time roster (needs to be looked at).

mic310
8th Feb 2017, 13:46
I know it's been a long time since posting. Does anyone know if they are still going, and what minimum requirements they require.
Thanks in advanced

SHVC
8th Feb 2017, 19:44
How about giving them a call for yourself who knows they might even ask for your resume!

SeldomFixit
8th Feb 2017, 22:17
It never ceases to amaze me how many Pilots can justify the means by the end.

Window heat
7th Mar 2019, 00:06
My daughter is looking at training with Wagga Air Centre. Anyone have recent experience with them?

Centaurus
9th Mar 2019, 10:48
The A/C where old but were not falling apart.
As long as the maintenance release was clean and no snags then what more do you want? On the other hand...