PDA

View Full Version : Flying to Fairoaks

AnyFlyer
20th Apr 2009, 11:45
Hi - first time post.

Recently passed my PPL (after ~3 years of training!) and have planned my first short flight with shiny new licence to Fairoaks, nr Woking.

Having looked at the map, Fairoaks ATZ appears half-in/half-out the LTMA.

Is SVFR going to be required? Presume I only need that (from LHR Radar?) if I transit the LTMA from the North. I tried checking the a/d info for Fairoaks in the AIP but the NATs website is dead at the moment.

Presume I can fly in from the south into Fairoaks ATZ without having to speak to Heathrow Radar or Farnborough Radar? (Assuming I stay under 2500). I'm guessing it would be smart to talk to a traffic service to avoid busting CAS but I'm checking if there is a REQUIREMENT to contact as the ATZ is half-in/half-out CLASS A.

Just asking if any other PPRuner's have been into Fairoaks recently and if so - what was the procedure. (I'll eventually phone Fairoaks for PPR in any case but was interested in any other thoughts in the meantime)

Sorry if this has been asked before!

PompeyPaul
20th Apr 2009, 11:51
Welcome to Fairoaks!

The way I fly it, which is not the most optimal but I like it, is to track towards the VOR at Ockam (OCK) speaking to Farnborough Radar on a basic service. If you are coming from the east then you will be on Farnbough East.

When you get to Ockam you descend to 1500QNH and change to Fairoaks. You then head directly to airfield and perform an overhead join and land.

The agreement is that you don't need to speak to LHR as long as you remain in the ATZ and below 1500feet.

Hence overhead join is 1500feet (QNH) with circuits @ 1100feet (QNH)rather than the traditional overhead join @ 2000feet AAL and circuits @ 1000feet AAL. The airfield elevation is 80feett.

It's a doddle.

Only other thing is that when departing Fairoaks squawk 0457 which will identify you to Farnborough as departing EGTF and you can skip some of the details message, i.e.

"G-ABCD is a pa28 routing fairoaks to fairoaks via x,y,z expect x @ time vfr tracking, requesting basic service"

Since your squawking 0457 they'll know who you are, and already have your altitude (if you're mode charlie which I presume you are). You should also remain below 1300feet until you speak to Farnborough since 24 takes you directly into their ILS traffic approach. There is a guide in the tower that goes through departures so just have a quick read of it.

It's a very simply airfield to fly in and out of and well worth your first visit. Fuel is expensive, imho, but the bacon & blue cheese pannini in the cafe is outstanding.

Parking can be tricky as it's pretty busy there.

Good luck!

MikeBradbury
20th Apr 2009, 12:18
Don't be put off by PP's comment about parking.

Just ask Fairoaks Info for parking instructions as you approach the apron and they'll help you out.

Mike.

AnyFlyer
20th Apr 2009, 14:33
Thanks guys.

Is it A/G or FIS?

PompeyPaul
20th Apr 2009, 16:58
It's "Fairoaks Information"

AnyFlyer
20th Apr 2009, 18:46
<<It's "Fairoaks Information">>

Thanks PP.

<<Just ask Fairoaks Info for parking instructions as you approach the apron and they'll help you out.>>

Thanks Mike - I've Google mapped it and the taxi ways don't seem too daunting!

<<The main thing to do is to avoid landing at Wisley disused.>>

Yikes! I'll try to avoid doing that!

I'm routing from the North and as far as I can see on the map, either I overfly Wokingham (glide clear rule will be OK @ 2000FT? - looks marginal to me???) and enter the corner of the LTMA (with permission) and overfly Bagshot or fly right around the edge of the LTMA and through D133/1.2, skirting Blackbushe and Farnborough.

I guess I could transit the MATZ (Odiham) from the north and head East from inside the MATZ....

I don't think I've picked an easy 1st flight!

whowhenwhy
20th Apr 2009, 19:15
Anyflyer - yes that routing is fine. Please speak to FBO and if they're too busy you can always call Odiham Approach themselves (131.30MHz). Flying through the MATZ though, please fly at 2500ft FBO QNH so that you avoid the Odiham ATZ and all of the IF traffic, which will be 500ft below you!

AnyFlyer
20th Apr 2009, 19:33
WhoWhenWhy - thanks, will do.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
20th Apr 2009, 20:16
Please note, it's the London Control Zone you're concerned with and NOT the LTMA. The London TMA is somewhat higher and you're unlikely to fly in that airspace around Fairoaks.

Approaching from the west you should not talk to Odiham as you will be nowhere near their airspace.

DO study a chart and see a) where you'll be going and b) who you need to talk to. If you become unsure of your position then do contact Farnborough Radar or Heathrow SVFR.

chevvron
21st Apr 2009, 06:06
Try to avoid arriving during lunchtime as there will only be 1 FISO on duty answering RTF and taking payment for landing fees/fuel and issuing parking instructions etc etc. and watch out for the airport cat; she likes eating and sleeping. Bear in mind there is a shortage of parking space with 3 based Kingairs and 3 PC12s plus several other large types.

whowhenwhy
21st Apr 2009, 06:19
HD, with respect, if anyflyer is inbound to Fairoaks from the west, how is he going to avoid flying within 10nms of Odiham???? Like I said, talk to FBO, but if they're too busy you can speak to Odiham.

Fright Level
21st Apr 2009, 08:35
If you're OK to get a SVFR from Heathrow, you might as well come straight in from the north. The normal routing is BUR > Ascot not above 1,000'. If you're familiar with the route, it's very easy but for a first timer to Fairoaks, it will be harder to spot with no possibility of an overhead join as you'll be at circuit height already.

You can visualise Fairoaks ATZ as a block up to 1500' carved out of the LHR zone, so entry from the south doesn't need any contact with them. There are also small fillets in and out of Fairoaks zone not shown on the half mill but are in the usual guides. This enables you to route from Ockham straight to a left base for 24 if they're on that runway and not busy, or from Knaphill to a right base 06 if it's the other way round. Circuits are normally 24 left and 06 left.

If you stay clear of the LHR CTR to the west, just speak to Farnborough and they will give you a service and advise you of the status of D133 - if it's up to 2400 you'll need to fly round it or as mentioned, ask for a direct from the Bagshot mast to Fairoaks. Farnborough usually co-ordinate this with LHR for you. Although that corner looks tight, the Bagshot mast is a great signpost for the corner of the CTR and from there you'll see the tall buildings in Woking town centre to enable you to position at Knaphill for a join into Fairoaks circuit.

I think cjboy's comment was tongue in cheek. There is no way you can mistake Wisley (site of the OCK VOR) for Fairoaks!

Enjoy the flight, and as an added precaution, why not add the "student" prefix when you call Farnborough so they handle you that little bit more gently?

mm_flynn
21st Apr 2009, 10:49
There are also small fillets in and out of Fairoaks zone not shown on the half mill but are in the usual guides. This enables you to route from Ockham straight to a left base for 24
That Direct line takes you within a few hundred meters of the Heathrow Control Zone. (Note, the fillet does not actually go to the M25 but is 1/2 - 3/4 mile to the West of the M25. (as discovered by several Fairoaks fliers when LHR got their improved intrusion detection system)! From Ockham initially aim at the centre of the airport and then turn into the left base over West Byfleet to get a bit more separation.

PompeyPaul
21st Apr 2009, 12:35
I would be speaking to Farborough Radar and request MATZ penetration, overhead transition, and route Overhead Farnborough -> Guildford -> OCK -> EGTF making sure that Farnborough knew which route I was intending to take.

The problem with the danger areas is that they may be active and if you are a newbie it's just more stress you don't really need if you want to go over \ through them and you can't. If you ask for MATZ penetration, over head transition and route Farnborugh -> Guildford -> OCK then if Farnborough can't provide it then they'll offer something else (quite possibly through inactive danger areas) but will usually provide QDM to Fairoaks for you.

Also remain south of the bagshot mast because it's heathrow north of that.

That's just what I would do, other mileage may vary and it's not the most direct way but I think it's one of the easiest way to do it.

I would overfly Farnborough by 2,000ft and if they needed me higher then I'd do that. I don't have my charts with me but I think 2,500ft is the london TMA above it, which is all class A and I wouldn't want to be that close to since my altitude holding is not IMC precise and it would be easy to stray into it.

All very imho of course.

chrisbl
21st Apr 2009, 19:53
Go to the AIP and read the procedures there and when you have looked at that ring the tower at Fairoaks for any further advice,explain your situation and off you go.

englishal
21st Apr 2009, 21:08
Google Fairoaks airfield as they have quite a comprehensive bit on joining.....

Another_CFI
22nd Apr 2009, 07:55
AnyFlyer, PM or email me and I will send you a copy of the latest Pilots Information Package for Fairoaks.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
22nd Apr 2009, 09:08
<<as discovered by several Fairoaks fliers when LHR got their improved intrusion detection system>>

If you think you have strayed into a corner of the zone the best advice is to contact Heathrow SVFR and tell them you are unsure of your position. 999 times out of 1000 they will give you every possible assistance and you'll hear no more. However, if you wander about inside the zone and cause them to delay Heathrow traffic then you may have trouble. Many of the controllers are flyers themselves, ranging from basic PPL to ATPL, so they know what it's like to be a rookie.

Good luck...

mm_flynn
22nd Apr 2009, 13:44
<<as discovered by several Fairoaks fliers when LHR got their improved intrusion detection system>>

If you think you have strayed into a corner of the zone the best advice is to contact Heathrow SVFR and tell them you are unsure of your position.

The comment was not about getting 'lost', more a warning the direct track from OCK to a left base requires you to be sure of your position to within 0.2 miles - which I suspect is better than SVFR can provide! Also, the guidance Fairoaks FI's used to provide was 'as long as the M25 is to your East you are in the Fairoaks ATZ'. On closer inspection this turns out not to be true as the ATZ and fillets around West Byfleet end are something like 1/4-1/2 mile West of the M25. This is why joining 'base' for a turn onto final at 1 mile puts you so close to the edge of Fairoaks' area.

AnyFlyer
24th Apr 2009, 12:19
<<,why not add the "student" prefix when you call Farnborough so they handle you that little bit more gently? >>

I did this regularly on my solo nav-ex's but am I 'allowed' to do this as a qualified PPL??? Talking on the radio doesn't bother/scare me - busting CAS does!!! (even if I don't always use the proper R/T terminology in the heat of the moment, I've found most services just correct you or ask for repeat if you get it wrong)

<<AnyFlyer, PM or email me and I will send you a copy of the latest Pilots Information Package for Fairoaks. >>

Another_CFI, you have an email, thanks.

HD - I'll be sure to watch the CTR like a hawk!

If you use Google Earth, download this: http://www.nwhgpc.org.uk/ukairspace.php
(it's a google earth KMZ file that depicts airspace. It may be out of date / old / whatever so don't rely on it for planning but it does give you an idea of just what you might have to avoid / get permission to cross!)

katana 1
27th Apr 2009, 13:32
Bet all these posts has put you off.
Easy way in is Fly South
keep booker to your left

Keep White waltham to your left
Call FBR 125.5

Turn left at Bagshot mast
Change to Fairoaks 123.425
Report Knaphill
Look for Hangars ;)