PDA

View Full Version : Tom Tom SatNav Question

GroundedSLF
20th Apr 2009, 10:53
Hope you can help - cos this is driving be crazy!

Wanted to update my Tom Tom (710 model) with the latest map of Western Europe, as I had noticed the original was out of date.

Followed the intructions on the website, but the new map is too big for the memory card.
Used a bigger card which had my USA map on (map copied onto PC) - all seemed to work ok, Western Europe map is shown as "on" the Tom Tom from the "my tom tom" home page, but when turning on all I get is a graphic of the memory card coming out of the slot, and then a big red cross going through the card.

Have tried reformating the card to FAT32 (was originally shown just as FAT) but this doesnt help either...

Next step is to buy a new memory card and see if that works, but would rather avaiod it as I have no guarentee it will solve the issue.

Ideas?

Sprogget
20th Apr 2009, 11:10
From memory & a little hazy...

Is there not a little switch on the SD card itself that has to be flicked on to allow the device to read the data?

green granite
20th Apr 2009, 11:47
Try here: New SD Card not working for TomTom in TomTom forum - GPS POI (http://www.gps-data-team.com/pda-gps-navigation/topic/1452.html)

And if you google red+x+tomtom you will get lots of hits to trawl though although a lot probably wont be relevant.

planecrazy.eu
20th Apr 2009, 12:05
I had the same issue.

FIX...

I just eject the SD card before turning on, and then insert it after the device is booted up

This may not be the "right" way, but it works, and thats all i care about...

spannersatcx
20th Apr 2009, 16:27
do a reset with the card removed. failing that reinstall the application after first making a backup in explorer.