PDA

View Full Version : Type limitations for FAA PPL license based on JAA license?

Runway101
20th Apr 2009, 10:10
I am trying to find out if there are any limitations or restrictions for aircraft types when one applies for the FAA PPL verification that is based on a JAA license.

In other words, am I allowed to fly N-reg MD500 in the USA if my JAA license was done on a B206 JetRanger? (excuse the helicopter jargon).

Or for you fixed wing guys: Am I allowed to fly N-registered Cessna 172 in the USA if my FAA license was done on a Mooney or DA20?

Or do I need to get the type rating for everything I want to fly in the USA? Based on the FAA regulations I am allowed to fly everything up to 12,500 max takeoff weight with a pure FAA PPL, but how about a verified "based-on" FAA PPL?

Any ideas?

S-Works
20th Apr 2009, 10:26
JAA has classes and type. Any aircraft that you can fly on your JAA licence within a Class rating such as SEP (Land) can be flown on your FAA licence. The same goes for MEP (Land) or for sea plane ratings.

The divide comes for type ratings. The FAA do not require a type rating for anything under 12,500lbs JAA however require a type rating for any turbine powered aircraft and a number of other such as the PA46 Malibu which are under 12,500.

As I understand it the restrictions on your underlying licence when applying for a 61.75 licence apply. So if you need a type rating on the JAA licence to fly a type that does not require one under the FAA you still need the type rating to fly it on the FAA certificate. If you get a full FAA certificate then or course this does not apply.

I would be interested to read others interpretations though!!!

B2N2
20th Apr 2009, 10:55
The US certificate will read " restricted based on foreign license # xxx-xxxx".
It states restricted because it is based on restrictions that your JAA license may or may not carry.
If your JAA license has a restriction on max weight, let's say 2000 kg then that restriction applies on N-registered aircraft also.
If your JAA license does not have a night rating, you can't fly night in the US or on a N-registered aircraft.

A sign off in your logbook for various aircraft types is not a restriction on your license so legally those don't count.
Practically they do since you will need training to fly a different aircraft type but that is to be discussed between you and the provider of mentioned aircraft.
You'll need a rental check out to be allowed to rent that aircraft from a school or FBO.

dublinpilot
20th Apr 2009, 12:18
B2N2. I'm not sure if you know, but in EASA land, helicoptors have their own type rating. ie one per type of helicoptor. They do not have a class rating.

So if you want to fly a different helicoptor you need to add a new class rating. This is a lot more than a simple instructor signoff as I understand it. It involves another skills test (I think).

I'm not sure if you would change your answer based on that?

I simply can't see an FAA certificate given greater privlidges than the underlying licence.

I'm inclined to think Bose is on the right track here.

englishal
20th Apr 2009, 13:59
The FAA do not require a type rating for anything under 12,500lbs
Except turboJet as PIC....you could of course be SIC.

As stated you are restriced to whatever your JAA licence allows you to fly.

In the case of fixed wing SE, this would be "Single Engine Piston" whereas an FAA PPL (standalone holder) could fly "Single Engine" - including Turbine.

S-Works
20th Apr 2009, 14:21
Are there any turbojets under 12,500 at the moment? VLJ's?

englishal
20th Apr 2009, 14:35
Citation 1 which is about 11500 lbs AFAIK springs to mind.....