PDA

View Full Version : External Hard drive

Tosh McCaber
19th Apr 2009, 18:54
I'm in the market for a 1 TB external hard drive. Anyone got any suggestions as to the good ones, and the ones to avoid?

green granite
19th Apr 2009, 19:18
Just go for one of the well known makes, 7200rpm and 32MB cache and you won't go far wrong.

Saab Dastard
19th Apr 2009, 19:25
For a plain USB external HD I've been very satisfied with LaCie.

But I can't comment on any others, nor any other type, such as NAS or RAID devices.

SD

Tarq57
19th Apr 2009, 21:33
Seagate has a good name. Check the warranty period. Longer generally equals better.

Codger
19th Apr 2009, 21:38

+1
I've got half a dozen of them and no issues at all.

Mad Monk
21st Apr 2009, 18:02
This can depend on what you require it for. Basic storage needs lesser standards video editing.

Green Granite is about right.
I have used LaCie for years, they use various internal drives and add their control parts.
The best IMHO are G-Tech, next best thing to bullet-proof, solid and fast with a variety of connections available. Not cheap but worth it for security and access of data. Google "g-technology"

green granite
21st Apr 2009, 19:56

They make very, very good monitors as well.

Mad Monk
21st Apr 2009, 20:36
Very true, as I view with a pair of Electron 22 blue IV's.
I may be incorrect but it would seem that LaCie take the best they can find on the market and add a little magic to make the good even better.

Jimmy Macintosh
21st Apr 2009, 21:07
I have 2 Calvary 1Tb drives, dual interface (eSATA and USB). The eSATA connection is nice to have.

No problems at all, very pleased with them. One has been running continuously for the past 6 months without an issue. The light on the front is a little bright in a darkened room.

Track Jitter
21st Apr 2009, 21:20
Keep an eye on Aldi, recently got a Medion 1TB with eSATA and usb for £79 with a 3 year warranty.

Old Photo.Fanatic
27th Apr 2009, 16:34
Bought a WD 500gb "My Book Essential" hard drive last Sept.
Used as second level of Archive, Lots 'n lots of Aircraft photos plus Family Misc.
Further back up on Cds/Dvds, Thank goodness!!!!!
Went to use Drive yesterday, dead as the proverbial DODO.
Does not power Up.
As it was a Sunday I went on the internet to check Known Problems etc.
Pages of similar problems, Conclusion NOT RELIABLE.

Contacted WD support today, useless is an understatement.
Exchange unit only.
No consideration of repair to see if "data" could be saved , pointed to third party Data recovery.
Quoted £350+ to recover.

Lesson to note ,Do not depend on External hard drive as an "Archive"

When looking at Drives check what follow up support may be available if the worst happens.

Bushfiva
29th Apr 2009, 08:50
WD has free software that will try to tell you what's going on in the drive.

If the unit won't power up, check the AC adapter.

If the adapter is OK and if it's the unit that's not powering up, as opposed to the drive, you may be able to pull the drive out and connect it to a cheap'n'cheerful drive case or adapter to confirm whether the drive is actually dead.

While the case is open, see if there are any blown fuses.

I don't know the details of your unit, but AC adapters and external drive cases have both given me way more problems than the hard drives themselves ever have.

Old Photo.Fanatic
29th Apr 2009, 23:10
Thanks for follow up Bushfiva.

Not to take any thing away from you being Helpful.
I didn't elaborate on my Unit as I am an Ex. Computer /Electronics Engineer.
So fully aware of all the aspect you covered.
The reason at this stage I havn't delved into the "Unit" is I dont want to negate my Guarantee .

I was just pointing out to others a possible Pitfall to avoid.

As a matter of interest I have upped the anti with WD Service Centre,
regading my unit and a possible repair.
I had to go into their "Small print " for them to aknowledge that the word "Repair" is even in their wordy/wordy blurb!!!!!!
I'm just seeing how far I can take this to see them squirm a bit.

Then I will take over and check step by step to isolate the Fault.

A2QFI
1st May 2009, 05:43
Maplin have a ITB Seagate for £99.99 with a 5 year limited warranty, available at this price until 12th May.