PDA

View Full Version : Data recovery from OLD hard drive?

herman the crab
19th Apr 2009, 13:25
I have an old Quantum Fireball 1280MB AT drive from my adopted Granddad's old PC that he has some photos on he would like to recover. The drive has a label on it saying PRE FIS DRIVE, and it was running Windows 95.

I have tried to set it up as a slave on my XP system and it causes the boot up to hang. Have tried various configurations but without luck.

I've had a few quotes from professional recovery companies and they vary between £295 and £650!

I'd love to be able to give him a CD with all the pictures on but that is way out of my price range.

Anyone help with any suggestions?

HTC.

Avtrician
19th Apr 2009, 13:43
Check the settings on the drive, and make sure its set to slave. There should be a row of pins near the cable connection. on top of the drive case should be a diagram showing how yo put a jumper for slave setting.

Saab Dastard
19th Apr 2009, 13:56
First of all I would suggest placing it as the master on the secondary IDE channel and removing any other devices on that channel. Use a single device IDE ribbon cable if you have it.

It's a relatively recent disk even though it's only 1 GB, and supports PIO mode 4 and DMA mode 2.

It supports both LBA and extended CHS, so should be recognised correctly.

For reference, here's the parameters in case you have to input them manually in the BIOS (rather than use autodetect):

MODEL (FIREBALL SERIES) SIZE CYL HDS SECT WPCOMP LZONE TYPE
FIREBALL 1280 1280 MB 2484 16 63 65535 2484 IDE

Here's (http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/hard-drives-hdd/quantum/FIREBALL-640AT-642MB-3-5-SL-ATA2-FAST.html) a reference with the jumper config if you haven't got it.
SD

herman the crab
19th Apr 2009, 15:11
Thanks for the ideas.

I tried have set the jumpers as a slave and also tried to set it on the secondary IDE channel as the master but still no luck.

I'm thinking maybe the drive is faulty? :(

W.

Hartington
19th Apr 2009, 15:26
You can buy enclosures to put old hard drives in that then plug into your computer via USB. I wonder if that might work.

e.g.

SATA Hard Drive USB Docking Station > Maplin (http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=222999)

or more likely

3.5? IDE / SATA USB 2.0 Combo Enclosure > Maplin (http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?moduleno=48213)

Tinstaafl
19th Apr 2009, 18:38
I had an issue once with an old drive I wanted to use as a secondary HD. Boot would hang with the old drive connected. Turned out that the old drive still had the active flag set on the OS partition (winxp) which was also the case for the primary drive. I used a partition editing tool to remove the active flag on the old drive and that solved the problem.

Maybe it was a BIOS problem, or maybe a WinXP problem. Either way, it required resetting the flag. Possibly a more modern BIOS wouldn't be phased.

Mac the Knife
20th Apr 2009, 05:49
Good thing its not an ST-506!

:ok:

planecrazy.eu
20th Apr 2009, 10:20
I had a similar (i think) issue with a 13 YR old HDD...

I got it to show, after a some issues in the BIOS, but refused to show in Windows...

I had a linux live CD, which can be downloaded from many places, and booted into Linux, coppied from the old HDD to the new one, and job done.

The HDD could have physical damage, but i am lead to belive that a fair few things that go wrong with HDD's have temp fix's, but just what i have read on some data recovery blogs.

bettyharven
9th Apr 2013, 06:37
As long as the HDD is good and Windows detects it when you plug it into your computer, you can search through it like you would any other HDD/storage device you connect to your computer.
It's a really handy way to Recover lost Data from OLD hard drive (http://www.transfer-iphone-recovery.com/recover-lost-data-from-hard-drive.html).
Try this to see if it works.

mixture
9th Apr 2013, 14:27
bettyharven,

Please stop bringing up old posts from the dead.

This is the second one you have posted on where the original post was many years ago and has long since been satisfactorily answered.

Milo Minderbinder
9th Apr 2013, 20:07
totally agree with your sentiments Mixture, but now the threads been resurrected its worth pointing out that the problem could have been as simple as incorrectly using an 80-way IDE cable instead of a 40-way
Those old Quantum drives weren't very tolerant of high-speed connectors and could stall a PC if one was used
Of course....with a drive of that age on Win95 is there any chance that a BIOS overlay was used to get round the 528MB drive size issue?

Loose rivets
9th Apr 2013, 23:42
I've got a VANTEC SATA/IDE to USB adapter with power supply.

Cost very little. Not a drive it hasn't been able to plug/see, and that includes one that can't be recognized in the PC it came from. That one just burst into life after years assuming it had died.

EDIT: This is the one.

Vantec ? Vantec SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter - CB-ISATAU2 - 2.5"/3.5"/5.25" SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter (http://www.vantecusa.com/en/product/view_detail/266)

herman the crab
19th Apr 2013, 06:56
Indeed... the gentleman I was recovering the pictures for died November 2011.

HTC