PDA

View Full Version : new regulations on tattoos

annita
19th Apr 2009, 07:38
Hi all.
Has anybody heard anything about a a new regulation not allowing tattoed people to obtain an ATPL?
At least this is what a friend was told when he went to get a class 2 medical.
The doctor denied to let him go through the tests.

Whirlygig
19th Apr 2009, 07:48
Sounds like a wind-up to me. Besides, a Class 2 medical is for private pilots.

Ask on the Medical forum; more likely to get a straight answer than on a training forum.

Cheers

Whirls

KSM
19th Apr 2009, 08:08
Well sounds like the Doc. didt like a Hell Angels biker to be a pilot :ok:
I have 2 Tattoos and allso have a medical class 1 and iam going on the ATPL in 11. Jan
But my Tattoos can be cover up by a short sleeve shirt,

fadedfootpaths
19th Apr 2009, 08:57
I have this dream of getting a tattoo on my neck, so I guess it will be a dream:{:{

Whirlybird
19th Apr 2009, 09:03
Unless they strip you during the medical and search absolutely everywhere and every bit of skin, how on earth is anyone going to find out? The mind boggles!!!

captain_rossco
19th Apr 2009, 09:07
No tattoos! You 've been done.
Hook , Line and Inker.

CR

MartinCh
19th Apr 2009, 23:57
Huh. We're nearing end of April. 01/04 is gone. Did you seriously believe that?

I suggest your friend (if he actually was being wrong but sincerely believing so) finds new doctor. Or even better, do the Class 1 first thing if he's after CPL/ATPL in the end. He should know by now if he's ever been to PPRuNe..

True, some airlines may have negative stance towards tattoos visible when wearing uniform. Search for tattoo thread that's been live recently.

KSM
20th Apr 2009, 09:04
True, some airlines may have negative stance towards tattoos visible when wearing uniform. Search for tattoo thread that's been live recently.

If not all of them.
Old miss Molly will not feel safe if the pilot have ink all over.

but if you can hide them its privat, and your own business

Thinking about geting a B17 on my :mad: a little one Iknow :ok:

smith
21st Apr 2009, 18:57
Shouldn't be allowed in my book.

Anyone who disrespects their own body enough to have permanent graffitti embedded in their skin should not be allowed to fly a jet liner. If they are prepared to mutilate (and yes it is mutilation) their own body, will they respect their passengers body's any more?

Don't hit me with the "it's artwork" and "people have been doing it for centuries" rubbish, we live in a modern civilised society of which self mutilation plays no part, the best a person who indulges in this sort of behaviour can be described as is ferral!

BEagle
21st Apr 2009, 19:17
Correct, smith, I couldn't agree more.

The same applies to those who wear facial scrap iron. Whether flight or cabin crew.

At a time when airlines can be more selective than ever, those with piercings or tattoos are highly unlikely to be selected. And a good thing too!

oldpax
21st Apr 2009, 19:22
Any ex fleet air arm pilots out there who would like to comment on this thread!Some ones calling you ferral and other names!Does this thread only apply to pilots or people in all walks of life?

KSM
21st Apr 2009, 20:29
Smith we live in a modern civilised society???
ther you are right and thats why ther are room for all who have the possibility to be a pilot,
tattoo or no tattoo
but as i said before that it is not ok if you cant cover them.

dont Judge people on the outside, you can realy burn you self on that

Frederik and Mary's Trip to Australia: Feb. 27-Mar. 11 2005 - Page 2 - The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f32/frederik-and-marys-trip-to-australia-feb-27-mar-11-2005-a-5147-2.html)

here is a link on a guy who have some tattoos and he is allso a pilot and he also happen to be the crownprince of Denmark:D

annita
21st Apr 2009, 20:59
I started this thread to ask if there are any regulations on tattos and not to start a debate if its is right or not.
As some of you have mentioned that people with tattoos should not be allowed to fly jets because they have no respect for their own bodies then we women should not be allowed to fly aircraft because we pierce our ears and that also can be considered as having no respect for our bodies.
I mean we are causing pain and scars to our own bodies for no apparent reason.
What about smoking then?
People that smoke have no respect for their bodies or others so again they should not be allowed to fly according to this kind of mentality and thinking.
Have you ever thought that a person that has a tattoo might had that done 20 years ago when he was a young guy/girl?
Then you say we live in a modern society.
I agree.
I am very sorry to say that your thinking is not so modern.........:ugh:

smith
21st Apr 2009, 22:19
Then you say we live in a modern society.
I agree.
I am very sorry to say that your thinking is not so modern.........

Getting permanent grafitti inked into your skin is not civilised, it is tribal!!!

CY333
21st Apr 2009, 22:37
I believe we are drifting from the subject a bit as it is becoming a debate BUT:
In some civillisations getting permanent ink is considered civilised.
Who are we to judge others and what is considered civillised?
In some European countries they hunt foxes for fun or eat little birds and it is considered to be civillised while in other countries is considered barbarian.
The way we look has nothing to do with the way we act in everyday life and every person has the human right to express as they like.
That is a fact.
As Annita said,usually people get tattoos when they are quite young.
I am sure that we all did far more worse things when you where young than getting a tattoo.
Apparently there is no law stopping people to get tattoos and becoming pilots.:ok:
Now, if a company denies to take on people due to the fact that they have tattoos, then that is an internal company issue.

smith
21st Apr 2009, 22:57
Now, if a company denies to take on people due to the fact that they have tattoos, then that is an internal company issue.

I do not think a company would do this as policy as it could be considered discriminatory by an industrial tribunial, however an individual interviewer may or may not take a dim view of an inked person which could jeopardise his/her's success as a candidate.

selfin
21st Apr 2009, 23:03
... an individual interviewer may or may not take a dim view of an inked person which could jeopardise his/her's success as a candidate.

I would personally be more worried about dogmatic attitudes than concealed tattoos.

smith
22nd Apr 2009, 05:12
Have you ever thought that a person that has a tattoo might had that done 20 years ago when he was a young guy/girl?

Not an excuse!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

In some civillisations getting permanent ink is considered civilised.

Maybe in outer Mongolia, third world countries and tribes in the Amazon jungle!!! I am sure they are very civil people however maybe I should exchange the word civilised with westernised.

G SXTY
22nd Apr 2009, 06:29
There are plenty of daft rules and regulations in the world of commercial aviation, but a tattoo ban is not one of them.

However, any sort of overt tattoo won't do much for you career prospects, and the reason is very, very simple. Hang around an airport for a while and see what all the pilots look like. With very few exceptions we will be smartly and conservatively dressed, because that's the image that airlines want us to project - and it's what joe public expect to see. Knuckles with 'love' and 'hate' etched into them or a spiders web on your shaved skull are unlikely to get you extra marks at a job interview.

john_tullamarine
22nd Apr 2009, 06:47
I suspect that, if the original comment be on the level, the medico was alluding to the possibility of viral blood infections acquired via the tattoo process. HIV, etc, is a concern in aircrew medicals .. at least in Oz.

captain_rossco
22nd Apr 2009, 10:58
The link between tattoos and mutilation is a poor one. We move on, acceptable standards do the same. Many a pilot, airline and military alike are to be seen sporting "ink" these days.
Full sleeves of "tribal ink" would, at most if not all airlines be outlawed for public display but subtle proud adornments are commonplace and in todays society bare absolutely zero correlation between a person's ability (moral or practical) to Pilot an aircraft.
The rebellious days of mutilatative Goth Tats for shock and horror purposes are very much confined to the minority these days. However, for more mature members of society, todays tattoos may still be synonymous with those of yesterday, and very different side of Britain.

Regards
CR

annita
22nd Apr 2009, 11:26
As i said, i started the thread to find out if any new rules have been established for tattoos and not if its right for a pilot to have one or not but it seems that some of you are making this into a debate.
Yes i agree that it is not very nice to see pilots with tattoos but there are no rules against it so we should live with it and thanks to the ones that gave a reply about the question i asked.
For the rest of you that want to continue this debate feel free to continue........

Whirlygig
22nd Apr 2009, 12:54
Annita, your original question has been answered.

Let me summarise:- anyone who told you that you couldn't get a class 2 medical if you had a tattoo was winding you up. However, if you want definite confirmation, check on the medical forum.

Since those points have already been made and there is no point in repeating them (shouldn't be any point in repeating them!), then the rest of the thread may as well degenerate into a free-for-all on the rights and wrongs of tattoos. If you are not happy with the debate, then you are free to delete the whole thread. Go to your first post, click edit and delete.

Cheers

Whirls

suraci
22nd Apr 2009, 19:20
The original post was in the context of a medical. Perhaps the misunderstanding arose from the doc asking about tattoos and scars, the details of which are recorded for a purpose which you hope will never arise!

Shunter
22nd Apr 2009, 20:11
Personally I find smith's attitude infinitely more offensive than any tattoo. Whether you like them or not, if they're hidden by a standard uniform it's noone's business but your own. Someone with love/hate on their knuckles and a spider on their face are perhaps a little different, but as with so many things in life they've made their choice and have to live with it.

A little respect for people with different preferences to your own goes a long way. Intolerant, judgemental pricks like you make me sick.

captain_rossco
22nd Apr 2009, 21:16
Nicely Put, I get too scared of e-bullying to verse things quite so concisely.

:ok:
Regards
CR

JohnRayner
22nd Apr 2009, 21:36
Hitler was civilised because he always shaved and wore a suit. Ghandi was not because he often looked a bit scruffy and wouldn't change out of his pyjamas.

Some of the most well natured people you'll ever meet will look like people you'd cross the street to avoid, and I've personally met very well presented people who'd much rather stick a broken bottle in your neck than pass the time of day with you.

In fact we've probably never lived in a world where you can judge a person by the shine on their shoes and the firmness of their handshake (see first two lines).

I do concede that first impressions last, but surely it behoves the "civilised" individual to look beyond the first impression to the person underneath. That'll be why we no longer gas the Jewish and treat black people like slaves, yes?

Happy Days.

JR

Exaviator
22nd Apr 2009, 22:28
For Mr. Smiths edification and enlightenment I have a tattoo of an anchor on my forearm and a medal to go with it, both obtained whilst serving my country as a member of the Australian Fleet Air Arm. It is somewhat faded today but I still recall that memorable run ashore in Hongkong back in 1960 when I and a few other shipmates became "Badged".

I am retired now, but that tattoo did not have any bearing on my character or the wonderful forty year career that I enjoyed as an airline pilot much of which was spent as a Check & Training Captain on a multitude of aircraft from DC3s to 747s.

Having been on several pilot selection boards I would be more concerned with an applicant who displayed such tunnel vision, than one who sported a tattoo.

smith
23rd Apr 2009, 00:09
I am presuming that all the people supporting my views have virgin skins and those offended/aghast by my views have indeed been inked right?

JohnRayner
23rd Apr 2009, 05:46
How're you going to cope when someone says no? 'Cos I'm getting the impression your world view has about two shades to it.

JR

Whirlygig
23rd Apr 2009, 06:33
Smith, I oppose your views and yet I have no tattoos, no piercings (not even my ears) but I do wear a little lippy if I'm going out :} My skin, as you say, is virginal.

I cannot understand why you should be so "anti" something that actually has very litttle effect on you. Were you traumatised by a tattooed man when you were a child? :) Maybe a little look inwards might reveal the source of your dogmatism.

Cheers

Whirls

clanger32
23rd Apr 2009, 09:20
For my money, personally I don't really like Tats. Not my thing....I think they're often done with a flouncy statement of "I'M an individual!" - whilst totally failing to recognise every other tattooed "individual" out there. However, that aside, I think the issue as far as employment is murky. The aformentioned knuckledragger who has decided to ink every square mm of available skin and is busy trying to stick a water butt through their earlobe is going to struggle to obtain any kind of high level employment, because, let's face it - it doesn't really say "stable, professional" does it?

However, most people have one or two tats, easily covered up. If it's covered, I fail to understand why it's an issue for this, or any other, career....

Rhyspiper
23rd Apr 2009, 10:25
Nice one Whirls! You fail to disappoint as usual!!!:ok:

BSmuppet
23rd Apr 2009, 10:43
I am speechless at this post. I have no words.

But without doubt I can not fathom why ANY male would want a tattoo. It is monumentally ridiculous.

Tattoos ONLY look good on the lower back of slender females (waist 24 and no more) where the sting of a scorpion or the Wing of a butterfly can be seen just above the Thong Line.

Whirlygig
23rd Apr 2009, 11:03
Tattoos ONLY look good on the lower back of slender femalesThe Tramp Stamp eh? I wonder why? :hmm:

Maybe The Laydeez might find the equivalent "dermatological enhancement" attractive on a male's torso? C'mon, what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander???

Cheers

Whirls

BSmuppet
23rd Apr 2009, 11:10
No. Just no.

smith
23rd Apr 2009, 11:35
ok lets cut to the chase, and I know all of you will

agree with me on this

tattoo on male = criminal

tatoo on female = $L@G

finally we can all agree on something, 'nuff said!!!

BSmuppet
23rd Apr 2009, 11:44
OK.

This is a fact - NO ARGUMENT.

A little scorpion or Butterfly on the lower back of a sender female is extremely attractive and the babes that I have seen are nothing like *&@Gs. Little bit rough round the edges but that's all.

When I was at university, I used to do part time gardening for a milf down the road. Trimming her hedges that sort of thing. She had a tattoo and looked very elegant with it.

I'm really getting tired of all these stereotyping on pprune.

KSM
23rd Apr 2009, 12:27
ok lets cut to the chase, and I know all of you will

agree with me on this

tattoo on male = criminal

tatoo on female = $L@G

finally we can all agree on something, 'nuff said!!!

you are a trool.....:yuk:

Whirlygig
23rd Apr 2009, 12:46
So muppet, why can't a gentleman look attractive with a tattoo?

Cheers

Whirls

BSmuppet
23rd Apr 2009, 13:19
Because Curlygig,

I'm a geezer. So I can't speak on behalf of women looking at men can I? So I can only come from one side.

However I am secure enough to be able to say what type of men are more attractive to women Take me for example. There are no words to describe how good looking I am. Each time I look in the mirror I feel like kissing it.

But I can never see the attraction of a tattoo on a guy. But a little butterfly on the lower back of a slim lady is very seductive. If I was Chief pilot, I'd make it a requirement for all female applicants,

Anyway don't start arguing with me.

KERDUNKER
23rd Apr 2009, 13:34
So Smudge how do you feel about long hair and sexual preferences? For the record, tatoo from my time doing my bit for HM and an ATPL ............ Knob!!

BSmuppet
23rd Apr 2009, 14:30
Kerdunker,

I'm with Smudge on this one. Tattoo is a mutilation.

Although I have the right to admire the art if it is on the right person.