PDA

View Full Version : Low time pilot and Type Ratings ???

shanx
18th Apr 2009, 22:26
Hi all,

Will having any kind of a Jet Endorsement/Type Rating (and Indian CPL) help in any way in getting a job in one of the airlines at present ?

Even if the airlines are not hiring right now, will it give any edge over others with only a CPL , when they start hiring in the future? If so, how much of an edge (if any) ?

Is it worth spending some money on a rating now or is it absolutely worthless ?

I saw an ad on AI express website for B737Ng FO contract position. They dont mention any hours on type .. only type rated on 737NG.
Realistically speaking, is there any chance for a fresh Indian CPL holder with a B737 NG and zero hours on type ??

I understand its a risk ... but .. lets say having a type rating MIGHT give a candidate a little edge perhaps .. in that case, which is the safer option to go for out of the following, given the current scenario of the airlines in India ?? :

a. B737NG (Jet, Jetlite, AI Express)
b A320 (Go air, indigo, Kingfisher, IC)
c. ATR42/72 (Jet, Kingfisher, Air India regional )
d. Embraer 170 (Paramount, Star Aviation ??)

I understand these are rather vague questions with perhaps no clear cut answers, but I'd appreciate any help on this.

thanks !http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

shanx
19th Apr 2009, 05:25
hi ninja_turtle,

this is the link to the ad reg Air India Express ..

http://www.airindiaexpress.in/airindiaexpress/ADDforTypeRatedCo-pilots-AirIndiaExpress.doc

ninja_turtle
19th Apr 2009, 10:23
Selected candidate will be appointed as Trainee Co Pilot and placed at the bottom of the list and receive stipend till required training is over ..

That doesnt make any sense to a type rated guys with good number of hours on type ..

Silver Spur
19th Apr 2009, 11:48
Hi Shanx,

I agree with Ninja Turtle, even if they are recruiting only type rated pilots, they prefer to take the guys with some hours under their belt.

Do no despair though, they will eventually recruit fresh grad, but for the moment, investing around USD25K on something that will probably lead you no where at this economic climate is not the smartest option.

The other option is that, when you send your CV, state that you are willing to finance the type rating if required. That will be more advantageous in my opinion, instead of having say, A320, and you find out that the job opening is for a self sponsored B737NG.

I do not work in India, however, I know a person who is a fresh grad, and get hired by an airline for A320 job, only that he finance his own type rating AFTER successful selection. To me, this is far more advantageous.
Check your PM for details.

Good Luck,

SS

Alltheway
20th Apr 2009, 12:28
Ninja Turtle - Regarding

"A. You are reducing your chances of employment to half or less owing to the fact that only particular airlines may want you if at all they did ."

All Airlines run an "Air Operators Conversion Course" as part of regulation so you would then learn their SOP's?

ninja_turtle
20th Apr 2009, 16:24
Havent heard of that in India ..

Its not a big deal to learn new set of SOPs , all I am saying is that an outfit here would rather prefer that you trained using thier SOPs , nothing hard and fast though ..

Alltheway
20th Apr 2009, 22:02
Ninja,

Its an ICAO Reg so there shouldn't be a training bias.

ninja_turtle
21st Apr 2009, 05:44
I agree there shouldnt be a bias .. But just because its a regulation doesnt mean that there wont be ..

Person who creates a bias is definately not going to say why it is being done .. More than likely the person getting affected wouldnt know the reason for it .. Especially in a selection process ..

Then again this is my opinion and you are free to think the way you want to ..