PDA

View Full Version : RAF Pension after you pass away

Tin brasher
18th Apr 2009, 18:42
As an ex-mob KOS I get my RAF pension already. But my question is what happens after I have popped me clogs is the Mrs entitled to receive anything after my demise. I have heard from various crew room rumours that she will get 1/3 of the amount for the rest of her life. Anybody know what the definitive answer is?

PS I have no intention of pegging it just yet.

Lima Juliet
18th Apr 2009, 18:52
Tinny

If I read this link correctly it could be 50%

The Argus - Widow's RAF pension blow (http://archive.theargus.co.uk/2003/3/12/138618.html)

I'm no expert on this though...

Anyone else care to chip in?

Lima Juliet
18th Apr 2009, 19:37
Have a look at this

http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/55EDB441-5884-4544-AF56-0AA88511909A/0/afps75fambenefits.pdf

If you are on AFPS 75 then your missus will get 50% if you die in retirement - see page 8 of 27 for more.

I didn't know this and it has just made Mrs LJ very happy :cool:

LJ

brit bus driver
18th Apr 2009, 20:04
Pretty sure it's 50%, but that's 50% of the pension prior to commutation(?). Thus, if your pension is £11k, having commuted the max, your widow will get 50% of the £15k pension (ie the amount you would get had you not opted to commute). .

I could, of course, be horribly wrong.

EngAl
18th Apr 2009, 20:12
BBD is right, commutation is ignored for widows (widowers) entitlement.
And it is 50% provided all service was after 31 Mar 73, or any time prior to that was bought in at the higher rate.

FFP
18th Apr 2009, 20:17
I could read the link, but I'll throw the question out for the other lazy people amongst us ;)

Till when ? Till she dies ?

(God help the UK Govt. If the Mother In Law and Great Mother in Law, if there is such a title, are anything to go by then they'll be paying for a while....)

EngAl
18th Apr 2009, 20:19
Yes - provided you've gone first!

Al R
18th Apr 2009, 20:45
If your death was ultimately attributable to your Service, AFCS may also apply. A bloody and brutal document. It should be mandatory reading for all senior politicians.

http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/361040A7-DF84-4E43-BD48-CC384F58760C/0/JSP765.pdf (http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/361040A7-DF84-4E43-BD48-CC384F58760C/0/JSP765.pdf)

In addition, pension payments may also be made to 'eligible' children. A common law partner is not be eligible to receive the benefit and you can't nominate that bit of stuff next door to receive it, if you're married to someone else. A widow can even claim if death was caused by Adventure Training. Mercifully, the RAF includes tenpin bowling in this category. Death in deferment may apply, in which case your preserved lump sum (uprated by various increases) is paid to your Estate.

101BOY
18th Apr 2009, 20:59
I may be wrong, but I've a feeling she gets nothing if she remarries :=, although I think under 18 or student kids still get something. Vague enough for you?:confused:

Al R
18th Apr 2009, 21:09
Cohabitation with a new partner (it doesn't say anything about an old partner) means that pension benefits are suspended for non attributable service. However, if the timing is bad and if you die after you've earmarked some of your pension in a divorce settlement, you may find that the amount that you have earmarked remains committed.

davejb
18th Apr 2009, 23:00
On your death your widow gets 50% of pension, if there are kids still being put through school/college/uni they get a cut too - I recall it being 25% a head for 2 kids (I only paid attention for the bit about my own case, ie 2 kids, so might be adrift on that but I don't think so), you'd have to check on 3+ kids for example but with 1 child you get 50% for the widow and 25% for the child I'm pretty sure). With 2 kids in full time education you would see the pension remain at 100%, with half of it going to the kids....if you haven't reached 55 yet the index linking is applied immediately, ie there's no longer any waiting until your 55th birthday (which you won't enjoy very much anyway, after all). As your kids left school/uni their cut of the pension would cease to be paid, until the widow is left collecting 50% until her own death or - I think, but this definitely needs checking - remarriage.

That's if your pension is based on service post 1970 plonk - for those still on here from the Boer war I believe the pension is paid in pieces of coal and cans of gruel, and other rules apply.

Len Ganley
19th Apr 2009, 19:59
Tinbasher,
In your next pension statement from those charming people who now provide it, Paymaster 1836, there should be a nice glossy brochure that tells you all they think you need to know.

The Oberon
20th Apr 2009, 07:17
Worth also remembering that she will only get a widows pension if you were married whilst you were in, if you marry after your demob, she won't get anything.

jindabyne
20th Apr 2009, 09:28
I married first when I was in the RAF. I then re-married 10 years after leaving. I recently asked MoD what my second wife would be entitled to should I pre-decease her. This is an extract of the reply:

Subject to the detailed regulations, your widow could be eligible to be considered for the following awards, under current provisions:

a. For the first 91 days after death, a Short Term Forces Family Pension at the rate of your retired pay in issue.

b. From the 92nd day after death, a Long Term Forces Family Pension of xxxx a year. As you remarried after your retirement from the RAF, this award is in respect of your service from 6 April 1978 to the date of your retirement only. I note from your record that you took Life Commutation on your Service Retired Pay. This is taken into account when calculating widows' benefits for a post retirement marriage.

I should explain that until 1978, one of the basic conditions of the award of Forces Family Pension to a widow of a Service pensioner is that the marriage must have taken place before his retirement from the RAF. It did not, at that time, seem unreasonable to limit pensions to those widows who had shared at least some of their husband's Service life and the rule was common to Public Service Pension Schemes. In 1978 the rules were amended for cases of marriage after retirement, but, as the changes in the law are not made retrospectively only a man's service from 1 April 1978 to the date of his retirement can count towards a widow's pension.

The xxxx amount works out at roughly 1/3 of my current pension; I retired in 1988, and therefore my wife has 10 years of 'qualifying' service. Hope this helps someone.

The Oberon
20th Apr 2009, 09:50
Thanks JB, I shall be contacting Crawley, aplogies for the duff gen.

Padhist
20th Apr 2009, 13:18
As you see we have our own ideas! Why not go straight to the top
RAF Pensions
Armed forces Personnel, Administration Agency(Innsworth)
Room 4 Building 250 Royal Air Force. Innsworth
Gloucester GL 1EZ

They gave me an exact figure

tonker
20th Apr 2009, 19:36
I was currently researching this as my late fathers money grabbing whore is trying to get her hands on this aswell. After making his last 25 years a total misery, seperating him from his forces friends(RAF Wroughton) and trying to alienate him from his family she is now after his pension.

Never married and not even sleeping together but on his deeds for our family house she now pursues his RAF pension. A yoghurt knitting leftie after money from an organisation that is everything she isn't, and repesents.

On a completely different but equally bitter note, my great uncle Cyril was in the RFC and whilst touring the Uk apres WW1 got very friendly to Amy Johnson. In my late fathers roof is part of a tail of one of her aircraft signed by her, to him. But alas the ass left everything to her!!!

bugger

DON T
20th Apr 2009, 21:02
Padhist,

Unfortunately RAF Innsworth closed on 31 March 2008, it is now Immjin Barracks. I haven't a clue who you would write to now.

EngAl
20th Apr 2009, 21:14
PN
I also thought from memory that the change over from 33% to 50% ocurred in 78. But if you use the link in post 3 and look at page 15 that's where I got the 73 date from and thought my memory must have let me down (again).

Pontius Navigator
21st Apr 2009, 07:47
EngAl, I was right first time :(

I do know I bought in even when I had no fiance in sight.

Padhist
27th Apr 2009, 16:10
DON T
I am sorry about that shows my age.

TRY Xafinity Paymaster, Sutherland House
Russel Way, CRAWLEY RH 1UH

Best wishes