PDA

View Full Version : PPL training in the UK

jkveenstra
18th Apr 2009, 18:33
I want to study for my PPL. First of all I was planning to go the US to do a JAA PPL training. Nevertheless, due to my occupation it is not possible to take a holiday for several weeks.

I'm now thinking of going to the UK, since the pound/euro conversion is quiet attractive. I would like to train in blocks of two weeks (hopefully 2 times 2 weeks would be sufficient).

Some questions:
-Could you recommend a training organisation and/or location?
-Is it wise to train in October, due to the UK weather?

thank you for you're help in advance.

jxc
18th Apr 2009, 18:48
Where abouts in the UK do you want to train ? I f flying into Stansted you could train at Anglian Flight Centres: earls colne airfield (http://www.anglianflightcentres.co.uk/)
and stay next door at the golf course hotel

Good luck

AlphaMale
18th Apr 2009, 19:29
I, like you was looking to train abroad in either US ($2 to £1GBP) or RSA (R17 to £1GBP) but as the GBP got weaker the different in costs when I added up flights/accommodation etc become very little.

I then took a look at Highland Flying School offering PPL's for £4,995 but they then ceased trading and I was back to the drawing board. I was looking for a balance of good instruction, reliable AC and would suit by budget.

Cardiff Academy of Aviation was my local club but they also ceased trading (I hope it's not my fault - I show interest in a club and they seem to fall through).

Trying hard to advertise here on pprune, I decided to look into a club based on the Gower Peninsula in Swansea, possibly one of the cheapest places to train in the UK, my instructor who took me out last weekend has 10,000hrs so he's not exactly a novice. :ok:

Good luck with your research, I'm sure you'll find a club sooner or later.

jkveenstra
20th Apr 2009, 07:42
Thank you for your suggestions.

Where abouts in the UK do you want to train ?

jxc: I would like to train at a location which is not that hard to reach. I was thinking of training in the Southern part of the UK, since it is not to far, travelling by car (I Live in Eindhoven, the Netherlands) or flying to STN or BRS would be a good option, since there are direct flights from Eindhoven Airport.

Would October be a good time to start?

Thanks for your help.

BroomstickPilot
20th Apr 2009, 09:46
Hi jkveenstra,

Some general principles for flying training in the UK.

First of all, take account of the UK climate. The weather is wetter the further West you go, so it is best to avoid the Western seaboard and choose somewhere in a Central or an Eastern region.

Secondly, the weather is better in the South than in the North, so it is best to train in Southern or Central England. Airspace here, however, is busy so you have to work harder and you will learn more about flying in busy airspace which is probably much closer to Netherlands conditions.

Thirdly, personally I always prefer flying in the Autumn and Winter. This is because the atmosphere is much more stable and you are not going to be thrown around in the cockpit while you are trying to master the basic skills of flying. Daylight hours, however become shorter so it is as well to avoid the mid-winter. October should be perfect.

For your purposes, it would be best to go to a professional flight training organisation (FTO) rather than a club, despite the higher hourly rates. At a club, you will be competing for lesson bookings with the regular local club members.

If you go to an FTO, they will know you are coming from the Netherlands, they will ensure aircraft and instructors are available, (just as they would in the States). Use this website to check the reputation of the FTO as one or two do not have a good name.

Finally, never never never pay for your course in advance. Insist on paying as you go with a credit card or in having a client account that the FTO's administrators can't touch in the event that the business goes bust or you fall out of friendship with the FTO.

Good luck.

Broomstick.

jkveenstra
21st Apr 2009, 13:30
Broomstick:

Thank you for your reply. This is very helpful.:ok:

BackPacker
21st Apr 2009, 15:03
jkveenstra, why not stay in the Netherlands and train there? This will save you a lot of travel and lodging costs and to be honest, the price difference between the UK and the Netherlands is not that big, and will probably favor the Netherlands. A large percentage of the rental fee of an aircraft is fuel anyway and as the pound goes down, fuel prices in pounds will go up with roughly the same amount. So the difference in exchange rates is to a large extent canceled out by the international price of fuel (oil).

At my club (based at Rotterdam), Cessna 152s go for 137 euros per tacho hour wet and instructors for 31 per block hour. A usual lesson is two block hours which includes one hour flying so it's 199 euros per lesson. Landings are just under 20 euros at home base, cheaper elsewhere.

You can book instructors and airplanes by the two-hour block via the internet and if you speak to a full-time instructor in advance I'm sure they won't object to flying twice a day with you for two weeks straight.

I know there are clubs in Eindhoven too who should offer not too dissimilar rates. Ask around.

Another thought: have you spoken to the usual suspects that offer JAA training in the US (OFT, OBA, Naples, AAA)? They might be able to fit you in in two periods of two weeks, instead of a single three week stretch. Obviously that will require an additional flight of a few hundred euros, but VISA and TSA-wise this should not be a problem.

Mickey Kaye
21st Apr 2009, 17:24
The south is more expensive to train than in the north.

C150/2 for £78.00
PA28 for £85

Near York.

I bet nowhere down south can match that.

Mike744
22nd Apr 2009, 12:31
Also try the Highland Aero Club Highland Aero Club (http://www.wardlawsurveys.co.uk/hacweb/html/frames.html) Ab Initio training and examiner on site, and ground exams Etc.

Mike

jkveenstra
3rd May 2009, 19:36
why not stay in the Netherlands and train there?

Backpacker: I examined the possibilities in either the Netherlands and the US. I've spoken to a famous flying school at Lelystad Airport. They told me to take EUR13000 into account for a PPL license. I've seen some good deal in the UK for around GBP6800 (approx. EUR7000 at today's exchange rate), which includes training hours / landing fees and examination fees. Since the (southernpart of ) UK is not that far to travel by car this is a good alternative. Accomodation is available for approx. GBP25 per night. Total costs are still lower than obtaining a PPL in the Netherlands.

Another thought: have you spoken to the usual suspects that offer JAA training in the US

US is also a good alternative, but it can be quiet expensive to travel twice to the US (since I prefer to train max 2 weeks at a time)

airborne_artist
3rd May 2009, 20:19
Buy a caravan with you as you come over, and park it close to your flying school to save on lodging costs. Sell it before you leave the UK. PM me and I'll tell you what to buy - you could make a profit!