PDA

View Full Version : Aircrew v BUPA

Tiger_mate
18th Apr 2009, 09:55
Many years ago whilst in flying training; ok then decades! .....we were indoctrinated in such bollo as only AvMed trained doctors and dentists can treat RAF Aircrew. In the subsequent years I am fairly certain that I have visited many a locum who does not even know where CAM Henlow is, never mind be AvMed trained. Now I am considering subscribing to BUPA, and wonder if there is any substance in line one above.

Has anyone got the party line on BUPA treating military aircrew these days?. FWIW I am fed up of giving the RAF a weeks notice if I need to see a doctor. With only a few years left to do, my family and I need to get into private dental and medical practices, as the NHS sucks.

foldingwings
18th Apr 2009, 10:45
Used BUPA for the last 16 years of my RAF career (and still do) with absolutely no snags and full consultation between RAF Medics and 'private' consultants.

Makes absolute sense and avoids the queue at NHS 'military' clinics!

Foldie

ProfessionalStudent
18th Apr 2009, 15:49
But it will be terribly expensive at your age TM!! ;)

Tiger_mate
18th Apr 2009, 17:17
But it will be terribly expensive at your age TM!

Nah!

Mrs TM subscribes first and becomes the primary member. I join in later and ride shotgun on her account*. Your only as old as the woman you feel, and I part-exed the first one for a younger model remember. *Also means that MoD discount lasts until she reaches 55 (could be 65) and not me. Happy days.
PS A change of 'handle' for P'Stude is now overdue methinks!!

Art Field
19th Apr 2009, 09:57
It certainly is worth joining BUPA before you leave the RAF as you get a service deal which continues after you leave. Having benefited a great deal from BUPA care over the last few months I can fully recommend them.

airborne_artist
19th Apr 2009, 10:12
Though not a quack, I'm surrounded by them in the family and as friends. None of them advise BUPA or any other private medical plan. The cost of seeing a consultant privately is not much (sub £100, often), and if there's anything that needs treatment they then push you into their NHS list and in most cases the wait is not long.

Put the monthly subs into a savings plan, and go to King Eddy 7's Hospital for Officers (if appropriate) for surgery, which gives discount for former officers and spouses. Queen Mum used it extensively. My old Mum had her hip done there for a lot less than the local BUPA place.

Pontius Navigator
19th Apr 2009, 11:49
Though not a quack, I'm surrounded by them in the family and as friends. None of them advise BUPA or any other private medical plan. . . . if there's anything that needs treatment they then push you into their NHS list and in most cases the wait is not long.

Have a look here: Benenden Healthcare: Join Now - Benenden Healthcare, not-for-profit, mutual, friendly, Society (http://www.benenden.org.uk/healthcare/join-now/)

For you and spouse it is only £2.50 per week. They do what A_A says, they refer you to the NHS primarily and then supplement as necessary.

As a member of Beneden you can then join Best Health. Their upper tier costs £374.40 per year so our total cost is about £500 per year but we get most of that back, and often more, from claims. Optical and dental £400, therapies £600, hospital £75 per diem, birth grant £600. Oddly there is a 10 month moratorium on that one.

We claim back our annual dental checks and of course the osteopath. Mrs PN got about £300 back for her glasses as we had already dipped in to the optical/dental pot.

On the other hand we used to have Legal and General for Mrs PN alone. This was like BUPA and quite affordable. However year on year the costs rose well above inflation and exceeded £1300 per year a few years ago. Mrs PN then underwent an examination and they paid. She had to go back 3 years later for a re-check and they quibbled about even minor things - the cost? £3600. Clearly self-funding would have been a zero sum game.

BEagle
19th Apr 2009, 12:26
Arters, sorry to hear that you've needed the services of BUPA recently - I hope you're hale and hearty again now?

I too joined BUPA after the Defence Medical Services were binned and I can confirm that the lower subscription rates still applied after I'd B&Y'd from the RAF. These days it's about £100 per month which is quite a chunk out of my pension - like any insurance policy, I guess

That Benenden thing sounds interesting - but only if it has some connection with the nearby gels-of-school.... From the Daily Torygraph:

The upper sixth form girls made their own recording of Rockstar in which they are shown miming along to the song.

The girls at the exclusive £26,000 a year school were filmed wearing furs and St Trinian's style school uniforms, washing cars in bikini tops, and crammed in a bubble bath.

Not sure that'd do one's blood pressure much good though....:E

airborne_artist
19th Apr 2009, 13:59
The girls at the exclusive £26,000 a year school were filmed wearing furs and St Trinian's style school uniforms, washing cars in bikini tops, and crammed in a bubble bath.....

Not sure that'd do one's blood pressure much good though....:E

Emminent cardiology consultant "And tell me, Mr Artist, what were you doing to cause the anuerism?" :E

alwayslookingup
19th Apr 2009, 21:45
Slightly related to last two posts.

A "friend" shunted into the car in front at 16.00 hrs some years ago whilst gawking at the population of a local private girls' school issuing forth from the building at the end of the day.

Being a part of Jockistan where at that time of the year the sun rises with your mid morning coffee and sets some time around afternoon tea, the cause of the accident was listed on the insurance claim as "temporary blinded by low winter sun!" It was paid in full, less the excess.