PDA

View Full Version : WMP 11, XP and a BSOD on changing video

PPRuNeUser0211
17th Apr 2009, 22:24
Once again I turn to the hallowed halls of pprune for help with mrs target's aged laptop!

A somewhat middle aged fujitsu-siemens amilo running XP SP3.

Running media player 11 with a playlist of video files (apparently irrespective of file type), the first video plays fine. Then at the end it should skip to the next video in the list. Instead it BSOD's and restarts before I can see what it says on the screen. Have also tried playing a few in winamp, with better success but still the occasional BSOD.

Codec causing a conflliction perhaps? The machine is known to have a history of being a pain in the ass.

RJ Kanary
17th Apr 2009, 23:56
And folks wonder why I still use WMP 9..........................

RJ
The Luddite.

Sprogget
18th Apr 2009, 07:06
The BSOD is a PITA! Nine out of ten bsod's are driver related, but it ain't necessarily so. The aim is to stop them, so were it me, the first thing I would do is look through the event viewer to see what critical errors it reports. If that didn't help me, i would run debugging tools for windows - this is a powerful utility that analyses the crash dump file.

That's the log file produced by the bsod. It will identify why the machine is crashing.It is your best bet but it is complicated-ish to use. Google for win dbgr or debugging tools, there are plenty of articles out there that will walk you through the process step by step.

Of course you could just stop looking at naughty videos or use a different media player! But as the machine has form for crashing, why not sort it out once & for all?