PDA

View Full Version : Confused! Can I start my JAA IR

Pilot_x2009
17th Apr 2009, 21:46
Hi,

Can anyone help me please to understand if i can start my IR!

I have PPL with 122hrs Total of which are 20hours P1, the 102Hrs are made up of Dual training for PPL, Night and various Diff training on number of aircrafts including tail dragger.

In the Lasors it states 'When applying for an IR(A) you must produce evidence of having the following Requirements:

50 Hours Cross country as PIC '

Does this mean i can start my IR(A) now and do the skill test, then build the remaining PIC hours to a total of 50 hours prior to submitting IR(A) application for issue.

Would be grateful for any clarification on this.

Many Thanks,

Pilot_x2009

BigGrecian
17th Apr 2009, 23:09
That's when you apply for the licence.

So you can do it before, during or after the IR training.

LH2
18th Apr 2009, 00:01
A different issue is whether a school will be willing to take you with so little P1 time. Might make your life easier if you build a bit more PIC time before embarking on the IR.

Pilot_x2009
18th Apr 2009, 09:54
Thanks, for the advice guys :)

Lew747
18th Apr 2009, 11:47
Can someone just clarify cross-country time? Does it entail flying from one airfield to another?

I only say this as I don't want to end up coughing up a small fortune for landing fee's! :ugh:

LH2
18th Apr 2009, 12:58
Can someone just clarify cross-country time? Does it entail flying from one airfield to another?

Essentially, yes.

I only say this as I don't want to end up coughing up a small fortune for landing fee's [sic]

Then head off to France where the smaller airfields don't charge a fee and the bigger ones are very reasonable (€5 - €10)

And anyway, what's the point of flying an aeroplane and not going places?

BigGrecian
18th Apr 2009, 14:53
Actually section A of LASORS defines cross country as a flight of more than 3nm from departure airfield. LASORS 2008 | Personnel Licensing | Safety Regulation (http://www.caa.co.uk/lasors)

However, most other authorities describe it as larger than this; and the FAA and authorities who base their regulations on it describe it as to an airfield over 50nm away with a full stop landing there.

Pilot_x2009
18th Apr 2009, 20:28
Hi, would that also apply for a ME IR, meaning i can start my ME rating before the IR.

Thankyou..

Lew747
19th Apr 2009, 13:25
Thanks for clarifying. Just that i've tallyed up my Logbook P1 time and have 6.5 hours of which just under 4 is solo XC time to other aerodromes, this is including my QXC.

I know a total of 10 hours of solo time has to be undertaken in order to apply for a PPL, would you recommend I complete the 4 or so remaining hours (providing everything is going tickady-boo) in the local area, honing on my basic handling and navigation or use the time to travel to other airfields?

Sorry, this should really be going in the Private forum but it saves another thread being created! :)