PDA

View Full Version : Possible Air India A380 order?

speedbird380super
16th Apr 2009, 13:33
Hi everyone,

I just came across this article:

Airbus, Air India resume talks on A-380 aircraft sale (http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/business/airbus-air-india-resume-talks-on-a-380-aircraft-sale_100170709.html)

Are there any air india pilots or employees of Air India here who have heard of any further developments? A A380 in Air India livery will truly look awesome:

http://www.cardatabase.net/modifiedairlinerphotos/photos/big/00010410.jpg

ecureilx
17th Apr 2009, 12:23
my 2 cents. ..

While the European and US airlines are looking at a gloomy future, atleast for the time being. it is not that bad in India / China Market

From my limited amount of reading up on the trends, I would say - very likely.

There was some rumour that IT (King Fisher) was trying to offload their commitment for A345 and A380.

speedbird380super
17th Apr 2009, 12:41
i believe that kingfisher has sold all of their a345s and they are also trying to defer their a380s further and further back. From what i read recently they are having trouble filling up their a330s:

http://www.livemint.com/2009/03/16223456/Kingfisher-in-course-correctio.html

speedbird380super
17th Apr 2009, 21:49
I believe that kingfisher have sold all their a345s to arik air and hifly. They are also trying to defer their a380s.

Geebz
19th Apr 2009, 07:56
Not that bad in India? 55-65% loads sounds good then? All Indian carriers are losing money domestically. By contrast, most of the airlines in the US are showing 82-85% consolidated LF for the past 2-3 months. I would say the US is in much better shape because they so aggressively took down capacity in the first place. India has a long way to go until things get better.

You have to look at the numbers airlines are putting out. Sure Y-O-Y traffic is down, but loads are still high since capacity was so swiftly removed from the marketplace. What they are indeed correct on back west is that are down yields. But with yields being down 10% on ASMs, and costs down 13% ASM, it's not as gloomy as ATA and IATA want the employees to believe.

Back to India, AI is state-run. As long as the conventional public allows their taxes to spent on a money-losing operation, the airline will continue to grow and buy every current production plane under the sun, A380 included. But the day the public wakes up and says NO WAY with their tax-dollars (not likely to happen anytime in the next 5 yrs as it wasn't even a talking point during the present election cycle), A/I will be forced to succeed on its own.

Sky Dancer
19th Apr 2009, 13:53
Well said Geebz...This is the list of aircraft in Air India's fleet at the moment ( this includes Indian Airlines )

1) B 747 - 400
2) B 747 - 300 ( About to be phased out )
3) B 777 ( 200 & 300 )
4) B 787 ( on order )
5) A 310
6) A 320 ( Both IAE and CFM engines )
7) A 330
8) B 737 - 200
9) ATR 42
10) CRJ 700

* They also have a B 767 on wet lease

As you can see the fleet is pretty diverse.Since India is a rich country and they have a lot of surplus cash ( from the tax payer ) to spend , the rumour of AI buying the A 380 is pretty accurate as their objective is to buy to maintain the most diverse airline fleet in the world.And the f...heads in the Indian media have convinced the Indian public into thinking that maintaining a diverse fleet is one of the greatest achievements AI has ever made.So as they say...the show will go on at Air India...:ok:

King on a Wing
20th Apr 2009, 10:43
Complete trash and total baloney.
The previous Chairman,Thulsidas,was toying with the idea of the 380's,if only to make brownie points politically for the next step in his career.KF had a much hyped 380 deal happening at that point in time and the ONLY way that AI could get into parallel news was to start this rumour.NO such talks ever took place and won't in the forseeable future! Of course EVERY airline is a potential 380 client.So Airbus won't ever deny it.Rather get some mileage out of it.FOC that too.if there is anybody more manipulative than the Air Indian babus its the french honchos at Airbus,Toulouse....:cool:.

joe.bloggs
19th May 2009, 18:39
So 'Queen' er 'King' when did Thulasidas tell you this - before or after breakfast

joe.bloggs
19th May 2009, 18:41
So 'Queen' er 'King' when did Thulasidas tell you this - before or after breakfast

Sky Dancer
20th May 2009, 03:02
Oh yeah I forgot to add that AI also flies the B 737 NGs....so that just about completes the list
:ok:

King on a Wing
22nd May 2009, 16:38
Well lil joey. You of all people should remember. It was after lunch. Right after he bailed u out of the looney bin that morning. Remember.....