PDA

View Full Version : Mapping unavailable

Senior Paper Monitor
16th Apr 2009, 11:10
We have three machines (soon to become 4) on a small home office network generally working like a dream (famous last words?). The server and one laptop are on Vista and fine, but the other laptop is on XP and the shared drive/folder mapping facility appears to have been turned off. There is only one user/administrator on the machine. How can I turn on the mapping function ?

Avtrician
16th Apr 2009, 11:53
What version of XP are you using, If its XP Pro then something is amis. Home doesnt have all the networking features of Pro.

Senior Paper Monitor
16th Apr 2009, 14:48
Windows XP Pro (so presumably its there somewhere)

Saab Dastard
16th Apr 2009, 15:09
There's lots of problems networking Vista and XP together.

Do a google search on "network vista XP", or head straight to the MS website and do a search there for the same things - there's some useful guides there.

SD

green granite
16th Apr 2009, 15:12
If all else fails look at this article, although I'm not certain you do need it.

Overview of the Advanced Networking Pack for Windows XP (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817778/en-us)

Senior Paper Monitor
16th Apr 2009, 15:21
Thanks gents - I have cracked most of the problems with the mixed network (lots of bits shooting in all directions quite happily, touch wood!) and yes, Vista and XP really don't seem to like each other much initially - its just this problem with the machine where I can't access mapping tool (I have some notes about how to do it at registry level but would rather not play there!), I believe there is somewhere to turn mapping capability on/off on that machine but just can't find it.

GG - thanks for that, but i alraedy have service packs installed so have the advance network pack by default (just can't turn it on apparently!)

Senior Paper Monitor
17th Apr 2009, 06:22
RESOLVED (and looks like it was my fault, at least in part) - 'mapping' exists in 'my computer' / 'tools' rather than via 'windows explorer' / 'network' / select machine / select drive (or folder) and then right click. The later being what it said in the manual I was reading (for mixed networks) and where I recalled it after doing the Vista bit. Application concern up and running fine now. Thanks all.