PDA

View Full Version : Frightening Lightning

Bicster
16th Apr 2009, 02:40
I do hope this hasnt been posted before, just a bit of old footage

YouTube - RAF Lightning Jet fighter promo 60s (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cjhwGFrJdw&feature=rec-HM-r2)

1.3VStall
16th Apr 2009, 16:16
Ah, them were the days - FMk1s!

twinpin
16th Apr 2009, 16:25
A real fighter.

Double Zero
16th Apr 2009, 16:44
' Real Fighter ' ?

It didn't go around corners, had a crap weapon system and ran out of fuel before the pilot had time to blink - like most Wart On products, fit only for impressing the girlfriend !

kriskross
16th Apr 2009, 16:59
Yes, and it did too!! (reminices with a faint smile playing around the lips)

Co-Captain
16th Apr 2009, 17:09
Some quality bongo music at the beginning there. . .

BEagle
16th Apr 2009, 17:25
Great movie - from the days when we had a proper Air Force!

Quality 'cocktail lounge' muzak :cool: at around 2:40!

Double Zero
16th Apr 2009, 17:48
I am used to fitting trials cameras on Harriers & Hawks, never realised the relatively huge size of the Lightning, though I heard plenty about it from Test Pilots & Ground Crew.

I'm now up close to one most days at Tangmere Museum, west Sussex; the aircraft is in good 'nick, though being restored & maintained.

We have a Lightning option on our ' simulators ' but it's not yet ready with a timer & local scenery for joe public.

Any ex-Lightning people who fancy re-living old times should make themselves known to Dudley or Andy - if coming far PM me.

The overall impression I got was that the instruments are diabolical !

pr00ne
16th Apr 2009, 20:17
BEagle,

Ah that 'proper Air Force' you constantly bang on about.

A 'proper' Air Force that had only 5 Air Defence Squadrons for the UK at the height of the Cold War, was about to ditch guns on those fighters, had a nuclear only RAF Germany, had a front line composed largely of Hunters and Canberras that a CAS of the time admitted would be like pitching Fairey battles against ME109's if they had ever been called on to fight in the air, was totally dominated in funding and doctrine terms by the V force, had FR Squadrons in Germany with 9 Hunter FR10's each and a front line force that had 4 days worth of munitions and war stocks.

Yep, I remember that Air Force, it was the one I joined and it was NOT all that misty eyed memory thinks it was it cracked up to be..............

barnstormer1968
16th Apr 2009, 21:17
I never understand why folks get so uptight about only having four days worth of munitions for a third world war, which would (in planning) have gone nuclear within 48 hours, and be all over, not just by Christmas, but within seventy two hours.*

So, did any of you (or me) think we would get to use all four days worth of stock, and if so, what part of total or tactical annihilation did not apply to the particular base concerned, or the personnel in it:}

*At the time. I like millions of others had been sold on the idea that the Soviets wanted to attack at sometime, it was not until recently that I found out the average Russian was more worried about us invading them, and that there forces were to keep me out!

It also does not go un-noticed that the forces of the UK were in some form of conflict in every year of the fifties, sixties and seventies except 1968, and that those conflicts lasted often for some time, and yet we had sufficient stock.

BEagle
16th Apr 2009, 21:27
Yep, I remember that Air Force, it was the one I joined and it was NOT all that misty eyed memory thinks it was it cracked up to be..............

It was at least of a reasonable size, had an EXCELLENT training system, an adequate Transport Command and Coastal Command - and wasn't dominated by fast-jet centric numpties with nothing to offer but scathing contempt for others.

exscribbler
16th Apr 2009, 21:31
1968 was a year to remember for some of us. Mrs Ex and I tied the knot - at least that's what she said she'd done. We lost Jim Clark in a half-ar*ed F2 race at Hockenheim and it's the only year since 1935 in which no British serviceman has been killed.

Chugalug2
16th Apr 2009, 21:33
BEagle:

an adequate Transport Command

adequate? adequate? You've really done it now Beags! How very dare you!

Old Photo.Fanatic
16th Apr 2009, 22:14
While in the RAF I remember hitchiking to RAF Wattisham, from Weston Super Mare. mid 60's
To attend if my memory is correct the 50th Anniversaryof 111 Squadron.
Being a Non Public event the "Gloves were off " regarding individual displays.
I have been an Aviation nut since the late 40's, first Airshow "RAF Colerne"1952, still very active combined with Photography.
Of all the hundreds of Displays I have seen this visit to "Wattisham" ranks as
No.1.
Why? The Lightning show which opened this event.
Imagine a full Squadron scramble take off, every aircraft at full bore.
Every aircraft staying low after "cleaning up", then the steam of aircraft
going into the vertical climb then a follow your leader break and low pass.
The whole Squadron performed for about 40 Mins, absolutely amazing sights
and sounds.
One other Disply that afternoon which stood out was by the "Hurricane" his display was outstansding.
The run in to break and land was amazing, across the ramp between the Hangers and the taxiway!!! I swear he was below the height of the hangers.
On taxi in it was the only time I saw RAF bods giving a pilot a standing ovation for a Display
The only other display I can think of in the same terms as the Lightning for speed/sound was the USAF Europe F100 Super Sabre team the "Skyblazers" in the late 50's /early 60's.
Only Five Aircraft but Loads of afterburner action/ lots of noise and low high speed stuff. Those were the days!!!!!
Follow that......

taxydual
16th Apr 2009, 22:50
The vid was pure Emma Peel!!!

To them that remember.

BEagle
17th Apr 2009, 04:07
OK, Chugalug2, "An excellent Transport Command of adequate size to cope with its tasking".

Happier?

And Emma Peel.....oooh yes. The original, that is, Diana Rigg of course! It was actually Patrick McNee (John Steed) who decided that her part required Diana to wear those tight leather cat suits....kleenex again, please nurse :ooh: .

In 1968/9, the Junior Mess TV room at RAFC Cranwell would be packed out on 'Avengers' night as several dozen sex-starved Flt Cdts waited for a glimpse of the delightful Mrs Peel in her leathers.

GeeRam
17th Apr 2009, 07:05
BEagle,

Ah that 'proper Air Force' you constantly bang on about.

A 'proper' Air Force that had only 5 Air Defence Squadrons for the UK at the height of the Cold War, was about to ditch guns on those fighters, had a nuclear only RAF Germany, had a front line composed largely of Hunters and Canberras that a CAS of the time admitted would be like pitching Fairey battles against ME109's if they had ever been called on to fight in the air, was totally dominated in funding and doctrine terms by the V force, had FR Squadrons in Germany with 9 Hunter FR10's each and a front line force that had 4 days worth of munitions and war stocks.

Hmmmm.......I'd say 1962 is close to that description of the RAF.

In which case, there was actually 11 x UK AD Sqns :ok:

I grant you that 5 years later we were virtually down to just 3 for a very short time :ooh:

1.3VStall
17th Apr 2009, 07:43
Yes, and don't forget we had a further four Lighning squadrons overseas that we could all on - 19 (who?) and 92 at Gutersloh, 56 at Akronelli and 74 at Tengah.:ok:

mr fish
17th Apr 2009, 15:12
music played by the tom and jerry back alley combo,
complete with spats and unfeasably fat cigar!!!

Chugalug2
18th Apr 2009, 21:01
BEagle:

Happier?

Oh much, thank you, and hear hear re the FJ numpties with etc etc...