PDA

View Full Version : stealth eagle--21 century tigershark?

mr fish
15th Apr 2009, 15:36
i must admit this one took me by surprise.
looks like another case of a very capable aircraft morphing from an older
design just a little too late.
with a unit cost close to $100 mil, where is the market?

barnstormer1968
15th Apr 2009, 17:15
I think there has already been a thread on this.
The thread also mentioned the possible customers.

I seem to recall the name "silent eagle"

Double Zero
16th Apr 2009, 17:22
Correct, it seems to be ' Silent Eagle'.

It's stated in 'Aviation News' that the whole project was fast-tracked to take only 6 months...

It looks very impressive, with 20 degree canted fins ( what happens to stealth if you roll a bit ? ) and 4 x internal weapons bays.

I'm wondering about 2 things;

1, Have any actual flight testing & weapon release firing trials taken place, or is this in effect a full scale model,

2, If it's that relatively easy to become stealthy, how come others spend mega-bucks on it ?

I must say I like the idea of using F-15's, but at the moment it strikes me as a bit of a Ken Dodd with Tom Cruise's latest haircut.

knowitall
16th Apr 2009, 19:41
apparently the only thing thats funded at the moment is the new CFT's

OFBSLF
16th Apr 2009, 20:33
It looks very impressive, with 20 degree canted fins ( what happens to stealth if you roll a bit ? ) and 4 x internal weapons bays.
Is the radar signature issue due to the angle of the fin (i.e., off vertical) or the angle of the fin with respect to the horizontal stabilizer? That is, is the problem the vertical surface or the 90 degree corner created by the fin and stab?

barnstormer1968
16th Apr 2009, 21:03
I think others spend mega bucks to create true stealth (whatever that may be), whereas this aircraft only has improved stealth.
I hasten to add, I don't actually know any hard facts about this programme, and all my info is based of what I have read online.

From memory, most of the stealth was gained by internalising the weapons. Most aircraft can have their cross section reduced it seems, even including the Harrier (theoretically by screening the intakes as per F117, coating the canopy in gold, and a touch of ram paint on the leading edges...Hmm now I have re-read that it sounds like an old episode of "changing rooms")