PDA

View Full Version : Use of David Clarke Headsets

Gfredericks
15th Apr 2009, 13:55
I have been given a H10-36 David Clarke (Helicopter) headset and would like to know if they are compatible with fixed wing aircraft?

Thanks

Gary

Pilot DAR
15th Apr 2009, 15:30
The DC H10-36 probably has a single plug, as opposed to the two plugs (mic and phone) common to nearly all GA fixed wing aircraft. There are adapters which can be purchased to make the connention for your headset. Otherwise the headset should work fine.

If you have any problems, David Clark have the best customer service people I have ever encountered. They'll get you taken care of. Have the headset in your hands when you contact them, they may ask you for informaton which is stamped into the plastic.

Cheers, Pilot DAR

Zulu Alpha
15th Apr 2009, 15:56
The helicopter versions can have better noise reduction as some models use larger ear seals and higher clamping force. Otherwise they are the same except for the plug.
I use one with a helicopter to fixed wing adapter, but I believe you can get a new cable from David Clarke if you really want. This requires them to be taken apart to fit it.

ZA

Gfredericks
15th Apr 2009, 18:06
Thanks for the information. I have ordered the one-into-two adapter.

PompeyPaul
15th Apr 2009, 18:49
What is the rationale for having two different adapters ? Is there a good reason, or is it simply historical ?

Mark 1
16th Apr 2009, 13:03
As I understand it, the single 4-pole plug was a NATO spec to encourage interoperability of headsets and helmets in military aircraft.

The two jack system is more amenable to hand mic.s that some civil operators still like to use together with the 1/4" headphone jack that is a more universal standard.