PDA

View Full Version : Fokker 100 GPS updating FMS

kimberleyEx
15th Apr 2009, 10:14
Hi All.

Just a question to those operators of the Fokker 70/100.

Does anyone know of any airlines to take up the option of GPS updating the FMS instead of Radio Inertial updating? If so, does the mod enable a F70/100 to do RNP approaches or, as in Australia: RNP-AR approaches?

Thanks in advance.

K-Ex.

PST2009L
29th Apr 2009, 11:05
Incorporation of the modification will enable a RNP APCH capability with the ability fly RF legs, whereas APV is based Baro-VNAV. In the near future APV/LPV operation based on SBAS is supported.

I believe the system complies with the PBN navigation specifications (ICAO doc 9613) with exception of RNP AR APCH.

kimberleyEx
29th Apr 2009, 13:34
Hi PST2009L.

Thanks for your reply. Mind my ignorance, as I am not yet that familiar with RNP approach capability.

You mention that the aircraft could fly RF legs with a RNP approach. How does a RNP-AR approach in Australia differ from that?

Regards.

K-Ex

c100driver
30th Apr 2009, 01:45
RNP AR is not an Aussie thing. It is the ICAO form of FAA RNP SAAAR.

The AR is Approval Required which is that it is not a public use approach. The operator is approved for specific aircraft type and specific pilot training requirements. The RNP AR approaches are usually a "tailored approach design" for a specific aircraft type. An AR approach for a B737CL may be slighty different to the same approach for a B737NG. Public use RNP AR approaches are built with a lot more "fat" for want of a better term to allow for different aircraft capability.

Only six to nine leg types are used for AR operations one of which is the RF leg. GNSS updating is usually the chosen sensor for RNP AR however with good DME DME updating a RNP 0.3 RNP AR approach is possible. To go lower than RNP 0.3 then GNSS is almost mandatory.

kimberleyEx
30th Apr 2009, 13:10
Thanks for the clarification C100driver.

Have a better idea of it now, additionally I referenced the ICAO documents that PST2009L posted.

Regards.

K-Ex

kimberleyEx
29th Jul 2010, 15:36
Hi All.

Just wondering how Fokker services and Freeflight Systems are going with this mod. Is it approved yet?

Cheers.

K-Ex.