PDA

View Full Version : Netgear DG834Gv3 Can you switch off?

mcdhu
13th Apr 2009, 22:03
I have looked at the user manual and also read the notes which come up on the RHS of the screen when you log on to the router but it is not clear whether you can disable it withina time band.

It appears as though, if you want to 'block' sites, you can impose time (and day) limits on that, but can you ask the router to be simply 'unavailable' between certain times.

MSN/Facebook etc are taking their toll on GCSE revision!! I know there other ways, but the kids are more IT savvy than me, but they don't know the password!!

Cheers,
mcdhu

The late XV105
13th Apr 2009, 22:27
I don't know the answer to your question, but if the kids are in any way IT savvy they will know that all they have to do is stick a pin in the reset hole to set the router back to default settings (including password). If they can't be bothered to set up the wireless element in order to get back on the internet all they then need is an ethernet cable or two... :)

If you are with BT (I don't know about other ISPs) you don't even need a login any more since you are identified by your line.

Saab Dastard
13th Apr 2009, 22:30
Yes, there's an example for doing precisely that on page 4-9 - 4-10 in the manual.

You may not be able make the router "unavailable" entirely, but if you disable the ports that they use - HTTP and HTTPS, for example - they won't actually be able to do much!

It's quite good, as you can block all their PCs based on IP address (you really need static addresses, or DHCP reservations for that to work consistently).

It's also possible to configure login time restrictions on Windows User accounts - although they will not be ejected if logged in before the curfew (you can do that when joined to a domain).

SD

srobarts
14th Apr 2009, 16:06
We have a similar problem with World of Warcraft and the AS revision. Blocking the ports works on our router but still allows traffic from established sessions even if the port and ip address is shown as blocked. We have a crude solution of a time-switch on the router which shuts router for 5 mins and when it comes back up the necessary ports are blocked. Only downside is teenage son stomping around the house banging doorswhen he is kicked off WoW. The message of no University makes allowances for poor grades if you are level 80 in Wow falls on deaf ears.

mcdhu
17th Apr 2009, 12:55
Thank you fellows. On closer inspection, there is a wee button entitled 'Enable Wireless Access Point' which will only allow cabled connections to run when unchecked.

I might try the more subtle 'Wireless Station Access List' method when I'm a bit more familiar with IP addresses, MAC addresses etc. But am I right in thinking that the MAC addresses shown as connected do not change?

It still doesn't solve the problem of the mobile phone - but reporting it as stolen sure does!!

Roll on July!!

Cheers all,
mcdhu

Saab Dastard
17th Apr 2009, 14:51
But am I right in thinking that the MAC addresses shown as connected do not change?

Yes. The MAC Address is globally unique (at least in theory)* and hardware coded to the network card.

Some network cards / adapters do have the ability to be software overwritten - most notably these days in cable / adsl routers where the MAC address can be overwritten with the MAC address of the PC used to initially connect to the modem. But it's not usually an issue.

SD

* I remember receiving a batch of PCMCIA network cards (about 25 IIRC) at work about 10 years ago - and they all had the same MAC address! Caused considerable consternation and confusion!

mcdhu
17th Apr 2009, 15:06
Thanks a lot Saab Dastard - I wouldn't like to shut out the wrong guy!

This weekend should be interesting chez mcdhu!!!

Cheers
mcdhu

Feline
19th Apr 2009, 18:31
Just interested because I have much the same problem - My (brute force) solution is simply to switch off the router with the internet connection completely (router located in my bedroom at other end of house from son & heir). I personally have alternative connectivity in the form of 3G card if needed.

I now call for solutions to the iTune, iPod, 1000W Sony amplifier problem ....

mcdhu
19th Apr 2009, 19:28
I've got it selectively sorted now via the wireless settings and MAC addresses - much more subtle than the original ploy of plugging the phone line into an adjacent but redundant BT socket. Doesn't solve the X-Box problem though! Roll on university! Peking I hope - or further!!

Cheers
mcdhu