PDA

View Full Version : Robin R1180TD Characteristics

jgb007
13th Apr 2009, 21:42
I am a recently qualified PPL and I am considering puchasing a Robin R1180TD. I have been told that they are a bit of a handful in X-wind landings. I would appreciate advice from anybody who has experience of this type. Thanks.

Whopity
14th Apr 2009, 08:21
I used to fly the 1180 which was a very nice aeroplane and very easy to land; I never noticed anything unusual in X winds. If you are tall, the seat can be a problems as like many French aircraft it tilts backwards when you try to lower it leaving you looking at the canopy, and at arms length from the control column. The seat belts were also an issue as they expand when damp, and won't slide easily through the adjusters. It might be worth getting an engineer to check the rear fuselage for corrosion.

jgb007
14th Apr 2009, 19:12
Thanks for your response. Fortunately I am not too tall, so the seat should not be an issue. I will also enlist the services of an engineer to check out the rear fuselage for corrosion, as you have suggested. Thanks for your input.

Woodenwonder
15th Apr 2009, 19:54
First of all, it is not a real Robin. Certainly not if you take the hallmark of Pierre Robin's designs to be their remarkably efficient wooden wing. The Aiglon seemed to be an attempt to sell to the US. Hence it is a PA18 in disguise. Gone is the second Robin throttle, gone the sticks, to be replaced by control wheels which interfere with front passengers long legs.
Gone is any attempt at ergonomics. Hunt down below the panel for the nacelle with mixture and carb heat controls - nowhere near the throttle. I think the flap indicator is down below too!
180hp will burn a lot of fuel to fly 4 people, and won't get you much speed.
That same 180hp doesn't get this solid bird off a grass runway very well either. And pushing/pulling the aeroplane around on the ground is very heavy work for one.

What do you want from an aeroplane? 2 or 4 seats? good off short strips?
What did you train on I wonder.

I think there are many better handling and performing aircraft out there!

PS Had a very pleasant trip to Trevet to visit a friend last September. I was in my Scintex Emeraude - another fine handling French design.

spinning
23rd Apr 2009, 22:36
OK Woodenwonder lets get some facts straight about the R1180.

You get 120 kts at about 8-10 gallons an hour. four up, bags & full fuel .

They were never for the American market because they were never certified for the US, How can you relate a supercub to an Aiglon ?

"gone the sticks, to be replaced by control wheels which interfere with front passengers long legs.".....the control columns are height adjustable so you'd have to be mighty long for them to interefere with you !

"Gone is any attempt at ergonomics. Hunt down below the panel for the nacelle with mixture and carb heat controls - nowhere near the throttle" Ergonomics.....the mixture and the carb hear are within 2 cm of the throttle, flaps just below them and the trim wheel beside that flaps with the fuel cock behind that, so I dont know what your talking about there ?:ugh:

"And pushing/pulling the aeroplane around on the ground is very heavy work for one." Max AUW of the Aiglon is 1150kg....the mauw for the cessna 172r is 1111kg.....

"That same 180hp doesn't get this solid bird off a grass runway very well either" Its not a short field performer, its a tourer........but It can move out of grass when it has to !

"I think there are many better handling and performing aircraft out there!"

OK Wooden.....show me an aircraft that can fly for 7 hours at 120 kts with 4 up, on no more than 10 gals/hr using a IO360 !

Stampe
24th Apr 2009, 07:07
I had a share in 1180 BJVV many years ago which I also checkrided and examined on for syndicate members.A very good aircraft though nowhere near in the the league of the DR400 which I now own.Very straightforward aeroplane...do check the POH I have a vague memory of a a warning or restriction (to long ago to be specific)on the use of full flap and elevator loss of authority in the landing flare.Like all metal Robins even then there were issues with corrosion and spares availability.A very pleasant light aircraft though.VBR Stampe

jgb007
11th May 2009, 12:42
Thanks to everybody who came back to me on this one. Your input is much appreciated.