PDA

View Full Version : Married Quarter Standards

Joe_90
13th Apr 2009, 20:52
Can anyone tell me where I can find the Standards written down that SFA should come up to. I've looked at JSP 315 which has the standards for new builds and I'm sure it states somewhere that where practical all SFA should aspire to this standard. I have asked DE in Scotland for a better fence in my back garden and a fence between front and back to keep my dog in. The one at the moment is only about 45cm high at one point and the JSP states the fence should be 1.7m. When I pointed this out to the DE rep he said they don't go by those standards any more but they have a different set, he couldn't tell me where they are or where to find them. After asking for written confirmation from his office on these standards a month ago they still haven't turned up. I suspect the JSP should be followed but they are trying to save money at my expense and they didn't expect me to ask where this mythical DE publication can be found. This is my 3rd quarter in less than 4 years and I no longer feel like spending money on a house for the benefit of DE budgets as the DE rep suggested to me "because the rent is so low", so I want DE to stand up to their responsibility for once. I'm spending over £500 this month on my own house at the reasonable request of my tenants, why can't my landlord do the same?

Pontius Navigator
13th Apr 2009, 20:57
Joe, simply write, giving your address, and asking for the information within 20 working days.

If they are smart they will recognise the '20 working days' as an FOI request. If they fail to comply you can file a non-compliance.

I have used the FOI at work where people, in the ordinary run of work, have ignored requests for information. It p1sses them off but shows you mean business.

iss
13th Apr 2009, 21:48
We had this a while back - the new TSARs (tri Service accommodation regulations) i think! Admin chaps sent me a link but I cannot find it. Ask them - OC PSF was the POC for us and was able to provide the grading sheet for our house so that we could challenge bollocks from DHE whilst ensuring the rent did not go up as a consequence

Best of luck :ok:

adminblunty
13th Apr 2009, 22:52
JSP 315 contains the specifications for new buildings including SFA, (TSARs) JSP 464 pt 4 contains the grading regulations, unfortuntely neither will help in your situation. I know because I helped rewrite the JSP. There is no entitlement/requirement for DE to bring SFA up to the standard in JSP315, if there was DE would need a significantly larger budget. Plus they'd probably start by fixing larger issues like damp, condensation, new kitchens/bathrooms etc.

L J R
14th Apr 2009, 00:24
....and you need to raise a complain about flippant comments on 'rent so low'.

You are serviceman (sorry, I presume man..), and you are entitled to a SFA as a consequence and condition of service. Comments such as this need highlighting..

Mr C Hinecap
14th Apr 2009, 03:52
A couple of links for you:

Defence Estates - Delivering Estate Solutions to Defence Needs (http://www.defence-estates.mod.uk/sfa/intro.php)

The RAF Families Federation - RAF Families Federation (http://www.raf-families-federation.org.uk/)

the Families Assn are REALLY nice and helpful people.

Anything to do with quarters and expenditure will be tough - it took me hard work to get loft insulation up to a reasonable standard.

Pontius Navigator
14th Apr 2009, 06:12
- it took me hard work to get loft insulation up to a reasonable standard.

I highlighted this at Waddo almost 20 years ago. I was on the environmental committee and pointed out that while the Mess roofs were covered in snow the MQ roffs were all clear.

As 'loss of heat' in MQ did not affect the station budget, but provision of loft insulation would, it was decided to do nothing except perhaps tell MQ residents to turn the heat down.:uhoh:

As a matter of interest, how much does it cost to heat and light a typical SFA? It costs me about £170 per month all in for a 4-bed house and small swimming pool.

Mr C Hinecap
14th Apr 2009, 08:52
As a matter of interest, how much does it cost to heat and light a typical SFA?

I don't know - I'm not the typical occupant. It appears that other occupants don't keep turning the thermostat down as much! Being of the Geordie persuasion I've not worn a coat since November - November 1988 that is.

It costs me about £170 per month all in for a 4-bed house and small swimming pool.

Ohh - hark at you! Isn't that called a fish pond in Lincs? Coi carp warm enough?