PDA

View Full Version : Naval Question

workman01
13th Apr 2009, 19:22
Hi, wondeirng if anyone can help with information for a project I am currently helping with.

Basicly I want some information on carrier operations and forward air control from ships.

do the royal navy carriers and ships with a landing platform have specifiec ICAO/IATA codes while at sea?

Like for example aircraft flying from Lossie to Marham would file EGQS to EGYM, can a harrier for example file from lets say cottesmore (EGXJ) to a carrier or vice versa.

Obviously carriers are basicly floating aerodromes, do they operate in a simlair way to an airfeild? i.e have controllers similar to a tower controller or do they have radar controllers as well who are able to vector aircraft to the ship.

What is the airspace restrictions around a carrier?
do they have their own airspace that they control, and if so, what are the parameters of this airspace e.g does it extend let's say 10nm radious from the ship and surface to 5000ft or similar?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

AIDU
13th Apr 2009, 19:29
Everything you ever wanted to know and more about Carriers can be found on wikki.

workman01
13th Apr 2009, 20:12
Well not the information I am after it would seem, Can't find anywhere mention of how the air traffic control system works on a carrier.

I also forgot to add, if they are given specific ICAO codes while at sea could someone provide a lsit of them if they are always set codes for the royal navy assets.

again any information on this would be appreciated.

Pontius Navigator
13th Apr 2009, 20:29
I seem to remember that you would use the international callsign. See ACP 113 (AG).

Then Air Traffic Control aboard Aircraft Carriers (http://www.navysite.de/cvn/atc.htm) might help regarding CCA/CCZ.

workman01
13th Apr 2009, 20:41
Thanks for the reply Pontius, much appreciated.

spheroid
14th Apr 2009, 09:02
Yes - every aviation capable ship in the RN has its own ICAO designator BUT they are only used for the routing of flight plans and ATO's...never used as a callsign.

They are all listed in the back of the FIH.

The problem regarding the CCZ is a tricky one. The problem of course is that the CCZ is only active when flying operations are taking place and of course it is moving. So, when HMS Illustrious parks itself in the River Thames and conducts flying operations is the CCZ active? What happens when HMS Bulwark and HMS Ocean both operate their CCZ BUT the CCZ's overlap?

Wader2
14th Apr 2009, 09:51
What happens when HMS Bulwark and HMS Ocean both operate their CCZ BUT the CCZ's overlap?

Cross talk?

What about a Frigate?

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
14th Apr 2009, 09:55
The detail of ATC in ships is in BR766 and BR9424 but, being UK RESTRICTED, there is a limit to specific answers. What isn't exactly "secret" is that a Ship Control Zone extends in a 5 NM radius from the flight deck centre and up to 2,000 ft ASL.

workman01
14th Apr 2009, 11:47
Thanks for all the replies, just the sort of thing I was looking for.

Much appreciated.

Triple Matched TQ
14th Apr 2009, 12:01
GBZ

What about the visibility?:oh:

ORAC
14th Apr 2009, 12:11
NATO ATP-3.3.3.1 AIR-MARITIME CO-ORDINATION PROCEDURES (http://store.ihs.com/specsstore/controller?event=LINK_DOCDETAILS&mid=W097&getCurVer=false&docId=XPDSIBAAAAAAAAAA&mid=W097)

spheroid
14th Apr 2009, 20:11
Only carriers (CVS, LPH etc, etc) have C(arrier) Control Zones around
them. Frigates and Destroyers have no airspace at all.

jEtGuiDeR
15th Apr 2009, 09:26
Even the little FF/DD's need protection spheroid. What about Ship Control Zones? :)

x213a
15th Apr 2009, 21:22
My guess is, many here know the answers you seek but..they cannot be answered in a paragraph and do not have the time/ be arsed to answer. That is understandable. Its a pretty huge question.To save me the effort, maybe you could research your question a little more and break it down a little? You did ask a very generalised question. There are many here who could help you on many aspects..

Risk of beadwindow also:=

dolphinops
15th Apr 2009, 22:00
Naval question.

Boat or Ship?? :}

Regards to RNGrommits

Groundaphobic
16th Apr 2009, 03:18
I think you will find that pretty much all warships, (especially US ones), are EXTREAMLY paranoid at anyone or anything comeing near them. I have been warned off a couple of times in international warters as I was approaching the USN's finest. Mind you, that was around the Middle East where I guess it isn't paranoia, they really are out to get you.

Over the Indian Ocean one of my collegues was even ordered to do a 90 left for 50 miles before then proceeding on course. When he pointed out that he wasn't going to comply due to fuel restrictions, they sent up an F18 to intercept.

I can't tell you distances exactly, as I honestly don't know.

x213a
16th Apr 2009, 10:39
Distance is irrelevant if flight profile fits...