PDA

View Full Version : Instructing or Bushflying

tielies1
13th Apr 2009, 13:31
Hey there, I need some help and advise please. Which way is the quickest to an airline job one day? Instructing or bushflying? I just finished my cpl and have a frozen atpl. Is there any school or company in Cape Town that does Caravan ratings? Where do you start looking for a job. Thanx T

smudgiebottom
14th Apr 2009, 00:53
dlesmond, the wise words in your post certainly make me question your age of 18!

Spot on with the advice. Don't just look blindingly at the end-goal. Enjoy the views on the journey to get there. So, whether you go bush-flying (and it will take a toll on ALL your friend/relationships), or go instructing and charter in the metro area (it may get mundane and tougher competitively) - focus on doing the best you can in that area first. Maybe even do both, then at airline interview time you can say you are widely experienced in all areas that you could because you just "love flying" etc...

I don't know what you're family situation is, but I had the opportunity to go bush and turned it down, and I haven't looked back...;)

Matt

coke drinker
14th Apr 2009, 01:35
Please don't instruct unless you are prepared to really throw yourself into it whole heartedly. Not saying airline can't be your career goal, but to be a good instructor you need to be dedicated to your students and actually interested in passing on knowledge.

Andy05
14th Apr 2009, 10:36
I'm just about to complete my instructor rating and I can't wait to get stuck into it and teach something that I really love FLYING!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm just wondering from those guys in the know what the job perspective is as an instructor at Bankstown? or anywhere around the country for that matter I'm happy to move anywhere for that first job, your help is greatly appreciated thanks in advance.

Mr.Buzzy
14th Apr 2009, 11:24
You'll be great at teaching enthusiasm Andy!

bbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

GNR
14th Apr 2009, 11:43
definatly bushflying for me, you learn how to be a real charter pilot, how to deal with passengers, cargo, etc....alot of stuff you won't learn in flight school

don't waste your money on an endorsment on a caravan, make the company pay.... unless you have a job lined up that they require the endorsment

Captain Nomad
14th Apr 2009, 13:43
Here's a novel idea - it's called DIVERSIFICATION. Not for everyone but you could be very valuable with good experience in both areas... I second Coke Drinker though - DON'T instruct unless your heart is in it.

multime
15th Apr 2009, 10:09
Been a while since posting. But i,ll have to admitt a caravan endo at 160 hours doesn,t make sense. No- ones going to employ without (experience).
Infact paying for flying doesn,t make sense. But we all did, do it.
My advice.
Gain hours, and life saving skills before living the dream.
Forget about the airlines and JUST get a job.
M:ok:

Water Wings
16th Apr 2009, 01:57
Here's a novel idea - it's called DIVERSIFICATION. Not for everyone but you could be very valuable with good experience in both areas...

Spot on Captain Nomad.

I did quite a bit of bush flying and Instructing before moving on to other things. Both teach you different things but either way you will come out a better pilot. Fully loaded C206, short strip and density altitude pushing 8000ft (Africa) vs. talking a nervous student with a little over zero hours flying through their first landing. It all makes for fun times.:ok: