PDA

View Full Version : CPL at a different school to the IR?

meesta_ree
13th Apr 2009, 10:42
Hello!

My current flying club is awesome and I really enjoy flying with them and considering doing the CPL course there. Being at a place your comfortable with and know well will bring out the better performance in you however, the club doesn't offer IR initials and I was wondering if there were any thoughts out there or experiences as to how much interest operators take into this matter as I know its preferred, but not required to have the CPL/ IR at the same establishment. In other words, stay where your comfortable or shoot for consistency?

Just getting the info really before making the decision:)

Regards.

quant
13th Apr 2009, 10:58
was at the flyer exhibition many years ago when Capt I Cheese of flybe said that if you had done your cpl & IR at different schools they wouldn't look at you..:uhoh:

meesta_ree
13th Apr 2009, 13:24
Thats interesting. Thanks for your input. I'd be curious to hear the views from those who are doing CPL in the US, IR in the UK too. I've personally opted to train entirely in the UK so I guess i've got nothing to loose by opting for consistency.

tropicalfridge
13th Apr 2009, 17:33
That doesn't really make any sense? Why would they bother if you do it at different schools, thats what the modular route is all about? Far more important must be first time passes and how many hrs each course took in total.

I'm guessing this is one of those myths that marketing people from the big schools like to band about to ensure people go to their place. There are plenty of great CPL courses at small schools that don't offer the IR.

Shunter
13th Apr 2009, 17:35
I mentioned this in conversation this afternoon to a couple I know. He flys heavy metal for a large European airline, she's an HR manager for a medium-sized UK airline. The response was along the lines of, "what a load of bollocks".