PDA

View Full Version : Dont be affraid to call Mayday!!!

fisbangwollop
12th Apr 2009, 19:36
Busy morning shift on the Scottish FIR sector........PA28 called me whilst I was on the phone...rough running engine......my response what are your intentions......will attempt field landing......confirmed SOB asked to squack 7700.....I call D and D and advise of situation...they straight away advise RCC who launch Rescue 177 Seaking from Prestwick to last known position.....I then suggest to PA28 that maybe he should call mayday......at this response he agree's!!.....now able to maintain 1500ft and will attempt to return to Cumbrnauld about 20 miles away.....I ask another aircraft on frequency to try and get visual with PA28 and shepphard him back towards Cumbernauld just incase the engine stops and he has to land out....eventually the aircraft lands safely with cracked cylinder......little oil left and I guess a few minutes left before seizure!!!!.......................my point is....if things doent seem right please please call mayday as soon as possible.......its amazing how those words will capture the attention of ATC.....:ok:

atceng
12th Apr 2009, 19:56
Thanks for the advice,we'll bear it in mind.
Now get an early night 'cos you've got another busy one tomorrow as your flock return.
I've got my mike turned the right way now,no more S3 comms,I hope.

atceng

SFCC
12th Apr 2009, 19:56
It is so nice to read posts such as these.
I fly both small and large aeroplanes and consider the ATC service we receive in the UK to be the best I have ever experienced.
Please keep it up fellas..
Glad the chappy in question made it back to an airfield.. When my time of need comes I sincerely hope it is in the UK FIR!:ok:

drambuster
12th Apr 2009, 19:57
Well done fisbangwollop . . . it's always a top service on Scottish !

About 14 aircraft are heading up to Glenforsa from our club at the end of the month and we'll all be using your skills to the max ! (hopefully no maydays though)

Look forward to chatting with you soon . . . . .

fisbangwollop
12th Apr 2009, 20:12
Drambuster....look forward to speaking to you all......where you coming from???

drambuster
12th Apr 2009, 20:20
......where you coming from???

. .. . . White Waltham - some on the 30th and others on 1st May. The first night will be on Colonsay and then we'll have a glorious few days at Glenforsa enjoying the best flying in the UK ! (with fuel courtesy of Paul at Oban !)

fisbangwollop
12th Apr 2009, 20:30
Dram....My Stepbrother flys a Yak out of Waltham....ex BA captn.....Trident,737,757,767,747....now a fully paid up member of the Marlow drinking club..........MS his ident!!!!!!:ok:

Can be seen in the town in his gestapo Alvis!!!

FantomZorbin
12th Apr 2009, 21:32
fisbangwollop

Well said, as an ex D&Der, I couldn't agree more!

Well done:ok::ok:

Hot 'n' High
13th Apr 2009, 10:46
.... consider the ATC service we receive in the UK to be the best I have ever experienced.

No argument with that statement at all!!!! Cheers fisbangwollop and all the ATCO's/FISO's out there. Should add AGers too! Who knows who you'll be chatting to when "it" happens!

:ok:

jonkil
13th Apr 2009, 11:18
Scottish.... one of the very best there is.
Always enjoy the chat & service from these guys when we take a jaunt from Ireland through Scottish and down through the UK.
Will talk with you fishbangwollop on our jaunt down to Popham in May, 10 Microlights on that one !
Great to see such posts on the forums and someone from Scottish being such an active and informative poster and contributor.... well done.