PDA

View Full Version : "Mr Chipmunk"

ATR42300
12th Apr 2009, 15:20
When I was an Air Cadet I undertook a Flying Scholarship in 1980, and being on the last course we were told we would be flying with a visiting examiner from Central Flying School.

When the day arrived it was very blustery with squalls and low cloud so it was decided that one circuit each would suffice. My "circuit" was lengthened after a very rough approach, resulting in my decosion to go around. The judgement was that my decision was correct and my flying generally was regarded as above average. The examiners name was Sqn Ldr Winterbourne and somer years later when I was relating this to someone they commented "oh you had Mr Chipmunk". I took that to mean S/L Winterbourne had an affinity with this much loved aircraft can anyone enlighten me further please?

jayteeto
12th Apr 2009, 15:44
If it was Dennis, he was my instructor at EFTS RAF Swinderby, from what I remember, he initially appeared grumpy, but actually had a great sense of humour. He must have been a great instructor because he managed to get me through the course and I was really really hopeless!! :ok:
I think he flew Canberras??

50+Ray
12th Apr 2009, 17:52
John Winterbourne surely?

ATR42300
12th Apr 2009, 18:48
50+ Ray, I believe you are correct I think it was John Winterbourne.

I would be graetly interested in anything you can add please.

HAL9000
12th Apr 2009, 18:50
I'm sure it was the aforementioned Dennis Winterbottom. I knew him in a previous life and he was a true gent with a great sense of humour. He was, I believe, also riding ridiculously fast motorbikes well into his sixties.

I hope he is still around.

HAL

mr ripley
12th Apr 2009, 20:10
Another vote for John Winterbourne, who was on CFS Exam Wing up to his retirement in 1985.

I bumped into him on his trapper trips to 6 AEF and during his time post retirement serving at 6 AEF before he went abroad to teach.

When I attended CFS years later I remember seeing a painting of John in the mess at Scampton with I believe a Chipmunk.

He was certainly known as Mr Chipmunk and I believe he is your man.

maximo ping
12th Apr 2009, 23:54
The Dennis referred to must have been Sqn Ldr Winterbottom - my primary on 19EFTS Cse, until he went on lve for a couple of weeks and I discovered that apparently flying instruction could consist of a little more than withering criticism. Not my favourite QFI ever, although anyone who's still drag-racing motorbikes on the wrong side of 60 plainly has something right in their life.

ATR42300
13th Apr 2009, 08:17
Mr Ripley - that is the man, I recall someone saying there was a painting of him with a Chipmunk, can you tell me any more about his career, for what was he awarded the Air Force Cross and why his particulat passion for the Chipmunk etc

MostlyHarmless
13th Apr 2009, 08:26
Ah, Dennis. Remember the first time I saw him - big road bike pulls up with leather clad figure atop. T'was a bit of a shock when he removed his lid :)

There were a lot of old boys @ EFTS who could easily be labelled "Mr Chipmunk" ;)

aw ditor
13th Apr 2009, 08:55
Dennis Winterbottom, 16 Sqn Laarbruch 58 to 60, Chippies at CFS Little Riss. 1964 ish".

kenparry
13th Apr 2009, 15:24
John Winterbourne: I first met him at Bristol UAS, 1958, when he was CFI there (so he was Flt Lt at the time) and I was a shiny (?) new student. He was around the training world for ever after that, it seemed, and I kept running into him, mostly at CFS, for the next 15 years or so.

wintys
17th Apr 2009, 09:34
Dennis Winterbottom, my Father, could qualify as Mr Chipmunk. He rued the day when the Bulldog came in saying that it was a mistake to use a basic trainer that you could get an ape solo in three hours. He was so happy when EFTS got the Chipmunk back which saw him through to his retirement which was after his 60th I believe. Sadly arthritis in the hands put paid to his motorcycling but my brother and I are keeping up the tradition. Correct about XVI at Laarbruch and CFS "Rissy" which was followed by many more postings instructing. For any of his old students that may read this I sympathise with the "withering criticism" but you probably deserved it.

27mm
17th Apr 2009, 09:43
Sadly, IIRC John Winterbourne is recorded on the CFS website as having made his final take-off. A true gentleman and fine bridge player.

aw ditor
17th Apr 2009, 11:12
wintys

Were you at Monmouth School?

MostlyHarmless
17th Apr 2009, 13:22
wintys, please pass the regards of an old EFTS stude to your old man when you next speak. Sorry to hear that age is finally catching up with him :sad:

wintys
20th Apr 2009, 09:33
aw ditor, I was indeed at Monmouth, your user name gives nothing away give us a clue(or are you Simon?) via a pm.

MostlyHarmless, thanks for your wishes which I shall pass on, do you want to say who from?

MostlyHarmless
20th Apr 2009, 11:55
Given the volume of Studes that passed his way, I'm sure my name would mean little to him considering (AFAIR) I only flew an IFT with him. Take it as a collective "Regards" from the ghosts of students past from about the time a Chippy fired up post-engine change in the hanger whilst they were fitting the prop. (No injuries, just a helluva noise/mess!)

aw ditor
20th Apr 2009, 13:21
Wintys.

Please see pm.

A.W.

wintys
21st Apr 2009, 10:37
MostlyHarmless

You kind wishes will be passed on very soon.

Legalapproach
21st Apr 2009, 19:36
I flew with a CFS trapper called Winterbourne on the Bulldog in 1982. Tall grey haired chap IIRC

Top West 50
23rd Apr 2009, 20:29
I was a colleague of John Winterbourne, as a fellow Examiner on Basic Squadron HQ CFS in 1974 (the selection test for Exam Wing at the time was, "could you spend a wet weekend in Sleaford with this chap?"). I think John went on for a few more years after me. He was a lovely man and an inspiration to many. A great character, I recall him eating an ice cream with absolute concentration whilst Doug Barden (OC Basic Sqn)drove the staff car - quite a feat, the rest of us were terrified!

DGAC
29th Apr 2009, 14:50
Just tidying up in the loft!! and came across AP3225C, "Flying Instructor's Handbook Chipmunk T10". Handwritten on the cover are the names F/L LOGAN, and SQN LDR J WINTERBOURNE. revison sheet shows ALs carried out by W CRAWFORD (that's what it looks like), J SEWELL, J WINTERBOURNE, S T LOGAN and A S HILL (not sure about this one)

Anyone interested in receiving please PM me.

RETDPI
29th Apr 2009, 19:14
J SEWELL _ Possibly Sqn Ldr Jim Sewell CFI ULAS c. 1971-2 ?

d____b1
11th Nov 2023, 13:34
Just tidying up in the loft!! and came across AP3225C, "Flying Instructor's Handbook Chipmunk T10". Handwritten on the cover are the names F/L LOGAN, and SQN LDR J WINTERBOURNE. revison sheet shows ALs carried out by W CRAWFORD (that's what it looks like), J SEWELL, J WINTERBOURNE, S T LOGAN and A S HILL (not sure about this one)

Anyone interested in receiving please PM me.

John Winterbourne was my Grandfather and I would greatly appreciate receiving this if you’ve still got it? Thanks

nee Winterbourne
15th Nov 2023, 16:16
John Stuart Winterbourne was my Dad. Following a 3 year stint in West Africa, training the Ghanians who were to form the new Ghanian Airforce, he was posted to CFS Little Rissington, (home of the Red Arrows at the time) where he continued to train, fly and examine. Pretty sure that the Airforce Cross was awarded during the Ghanian tour as I remember going to the presentation!

NoTakeOff
15th Nov 2023, 16:57
John Winterbourne was my Grandfather and I would greatly appreciate receiving this if you’ve still got it? Thanks
You are one of many Grandkids. I have some books here. Very dated. I believe them to be the books that taught the man that taught.