PDA

View Full Version : CHC Single Pilot IFR/VFR question

Harry Copter
12th Apr 2009, 05:38
I've been having a look around the internet, but with not much joy.

Does anyone know if CHC operate single pilot IFR anywhere in the world? If so on what aircraft and from where?

Failing that do they operate and single pilot VFR on twin engines anywhere in the world?

The only thing I can find is in Nigeria Single Pilot Bell 407/206, but I'm sure they do this in the Gulf too.

Goggle Up
12th Apr 2009, 05:51
Harry,

CHC Australia operate all their EMS 412's/139's SPIFR.

They are based at Mackay (Queensland), Bankstown and Wollongong (New South Wales), Canberra ACT, Bendigo and Latrobe Valley (Victoria), and Perth (Western Aus).

GU :ok:

PPRuNeUser0212
12th Apr 2009, 05:52
Harry,
CHC Australia operates single pilot IFR operations on the Ambulance EMS/SAR contracts in QLD, NSW, VIC and I think WA.

Harry Copter
12th Apr 2009, 06:26
Thanks guys very helpfull, keep it coming.

Any other countrys?
Any oil rig flying single pilot?

chcoffshore
12th Apr 2009, 09:02
Why do you want to fly SPIFR only. Oil rigs, not in europe.

Harry Copter
12th Apr 2009, 10:10
I don’t I’m trying to do some research, to find out where CHC use Single pilot in multi crew aircraft.
So this is all really helpfull.
Keep it coming

chcoffshore
12th Apr 2009, 10:23
Oh ok why?

farsouth
12th Apr 2009, 12:26
Quote Harry Copter - "I’m trying to do some research, to find out where CHC use Single pilot in multi crew aircraft"

I doubt CHC use single pilot in "multi-crew" aircraft anywhere - if they are certified to be flown by a single pilot then they are "single-crew" aircraft, even if the majority of operators choose to develop two-crew procedures for their operation.

Tokunbo
12th Apr 2009, 12:26
HC,

Your research hasn't been very good as CHC don't operate the Bell 47 or Bell 206 in Nigeria. There have been no Bell 47s here for many a long year, the last being operated by Pan African. The only Bell 206 operator here currently is PAAN/Bristow in Escravos.

Great View
12th Apr 2009, 17:00
Umm, Tokunbo.......Bell 4O7, not Bell 47:ok:

Um... lifting...
12th Apr 2009, 18:43
Even so... CHC/ACN don't operate any single-engine helicopters or any Bells in Nigeria at all. The 355s were the only single-piloted machines, and they are no longer operated. The 407s are also operated by PAAN.

rufus.t.firefly
12th Apr 2009, 19:21
Public Transport - Offshore work I think you'll find CHC is two crew all the way ! :ok:

froggy_pilot
12th Apr 2009, 19:55
Single pilot in Nigeria ?

you have 3 options :

PAAN with 407
OAS with AS350
Caverton with AS350

All VFR\VMC (officially) :oh:

bb in ca
12th Apr 2009, 21:22
CHC GO (Global Operations) doesn't currently operate single pilot in any revenue operations that I've come across. Single pilot maintenance flights are a common occurence though.

ResqBoy
13th Apr 2009, 04:49
"CHC GO (Global Operations) doesn't currently operate single pilot in any revenue operations that I've come across." :ugh:

CHC Helicopters (Australia) is part of Global, and operates all its EMS aircraft single pilot IFR and I would hope they are all revenue operations. SAR operations for the RAAF and all offshore ops are two pilot IFR.

John Eacott
13th Apr 2009, 07:38
I doubt CHC use single pilot in "multi-crew" aircraft anywhere - if they are certified to be flown by a single pilot then they are "single-crew" aircraft, even if the majority of operators choose to develop two-crew procedures for their operation.

As has already been well stated, all CHC's Australian EMS ops are SPIFR, although the crew includes a qualified crewman, who is left seat trained to assist when he is in the front. EMS will dictate that the crewie is just as likely to be in the back, assisting the paramedic, leaving the driver SPIFR. VicPol and Australian Helicopters have the same operation for EMS.

CHC firefighting ops in Australia are also single pilot, VFR, multi engine (412/212), to answer the "other half" of the original post :)

farsouth
13th Apr 2009, 08:20
JE -

I was not questioning the fact that CHC fly their aircraft single-pilot in some operations - I was querying HC's description of these aircraft as "multi-crew aircraft". As I was trying to imply, if they are legally being flown by a single pilot, then they are by definition, "single-pilot aircraft" even if they are more commonly flown (for legislative reasons in a particular operating environment or due to customer requirements) with two crew.

I’m trying to do some research, to find out where CHC use Single pilot in multi crew aircraft

(although I see what you might mean, that one pilot + one crewman in EMS could be referred to as "single pilot in a multi crew aircraft", but I took the original query to refer to multi-pilot as opposed to multi-crew - if the original poster was a bit more open about why he wants the information, he might get more useful replies, sorry if I have confused the issue)

bb in ca
13th Apr 2009, 14:30
CHC Helicopters (Australia) is part of Global, and operates all its EMS aircraft single pilot IFR and I would hope they are all revenue operations. SAR operations for the RAAF and all offshore ops are two pilot IFR

Ahh, I never thought of the Australia operations as being a part of the GO division but a division in itself.

ResqBoy
14th Apr 2009, 04:45
CHC has only three operating arms, Global, Europe and Heli-One. :ok:

Um... lifting...
14th Apr 2009, 05:12
ResqBoy-
That's true, but that's currently.
In times of yore, there were also CHC Africa and CHC Australia, which were distinct and separate divisions. No one shouted from the rooftops when they were assimilated into Global, so lots of the lads in the trenches don't know that they aren't separate even yet.