PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Aviation Applications

InDarknessConcealed
11th Apr 2009, 18:21
All right then, a fair few of you must have iPhones by now, so which applications have you found that are really helpful to aircrew?

Spam_UK
11th Apr 2009, 18:29
There's quite a few, but isn't very helpful unless you ignore the rules and have your phone turned on during the flight! := :}

(because no one does that do they!)

FJ2ME
11th Apr 2009, 18:45
Spam, you could just turn it to flight mode i suppose? Anyway, still valid question for the ipod touch also.

To answer the original question, aeroweather is very good for TAFs & METARs, whilst iPorts adds runway length and orientation data. Pilotwiz is aimed more at the GA market but does have some handy conversions and also a very easy to use hours calculator. LogTen is an excellent logbook app, but it costs to get it in any useful format other than the free (very limited) demo.

Not strictly aviation but Tymelynz is great for tracking your training requirements, and medicals, CCS etc, whilst XpenseTrkr is invaluable for keeping on top of your JPA claims for trips.

MarinerSoftCalc allows use of MS Excel documents, but at the moment is a bit buggy, despite its £5.99 price tag. Most spreadsheets I have tried to use didnöt fully work, but they assured me by email that they are working on the bugs.

Thats about it from me, except iPint for those dry dets of course!

Navaleye
11th Apr 2009, 19:31
not tried on an aircraft but works great at sea. I downloaded a professional set of charts (£30) and can quite happily navigate with it. It has a very good GPS which is far more accurate and usable compared to my blackberry which detest. You can download a free version of Airnav a give it a try.

Sent from iPhone!

Farfrompuken
11th Apr 2009, 21:59
Aeroweather- simply superb weather tool

JetFuelling- handy app too, basic load/fuel calc app.

A to Z converter is good too.

D-IFF_ident
12th Apr 2009, 05:51
There is a good artificial horizon app too; can't remember what it's called and wouldn't want to rely on it. But it's still cool.

TheInquisitor
12th Apr 2009, 06:00
....except it wouldn't work in roll if you were in balanced flight! Might work a bit in pitch?

Surely the most useful app would be one where you could use the GPS to mark the location of a great bar full of hot women, thus ending the traditional 'Ascot Shuffle' the next time you're in the same locale...or THINK that you are...:}

High_Expect
12th Apr 2009, 08:17
AeroWeather combined with WeatherPro(about £1.99) gives you MOMIDS in your pocket..... rather handy!

other than that Wolfinstien3D passes the hours in the office!

Chris Griffin
12th Apr 2009, 08:24
Flight logger or "Flogger" is the best log book app I've found - can back up to google docs in PDF - also does monthly summary and sims.

TheWizard
12th Apr 2009, 12:33
GB Locate is a great little Ap for converting OSGB into Lat/Long and back the other way. It also gives you your current location in either (a la GPS)
Very useful for us rotary types. :)

MostlyHarmless
12th Apr 2009, 12:50
FlightControl (http://www.firemint.com/flightcontrol/index.html)- why the iPhone was invented (Only got a very poor 59 so far)

clear to land
12th Apr 2009, 16:27
iwizzwheel is good. does most things from daylight/darkness to great circle to off track PNR. Also the creators are very responsive to suggestions. I have emailed a few and there has been update out within a week incorporating each suggestion. Big thumbs up. :ok:

MrBernoulli
13th Apr 2009, 09:17
Can you provide a link for iwizzwheel? Can't find it on the web ........

BEagle
13th Apr 2009, 09:38
Whilst on the subject of aviation software, does anyone know of an accurate TAS / CAS / Mach No. conversion tool (for a PC, not a kiddyphone)? Not a basic 'rule of thumb', but the exact conversion for temperature and altitude. I used to use flightplan.za.net, but they seem to have deleted Mach No. and the conversion tool they now have seems to ignore compressibility....:hmm:

JAR FCL
13th Apr 2009, 10:27
Wonderful! Has the following features, great CRP1 replacement!

The current set of features:
Conversions:
- Avgas kilograms and gal (US) conversion
- Avgas kilograms and litres conversion
- Avgas Pounds (lbs) and Gallons
- Avgas Pounds (lbs) and Litres
- Celsius and Fahrenheit
- Feet and Meters
- Gallons (Imperial) and Litres
- Gallons (US) and Litres
- Inches of Mercury to Millibars
- Jet-A1 kilograms and gal (US) conversion
- Jet-A1 kilograms and litres conversion
- Jet A-1 Pounds (lbs) and Gallons
- Jet A-1 Pounds (lbs) and Litres
- Kilograms and Pounds (lbs)
- Kilometers Per Hour and Knots
- Kilometers Per Hour and Mach
- Kilometers and Nautical Miles
- Kilometers and Statute Miles
- Knots and Miles Per Hour
- Latitude/Longitude Formats
- Litres and Gallons (Imperial)
- Litres and Gallons (US)
- Nautical Miles and Statute Miles
- Miles Per Hour and Knots
Weather:
- Wind Direction and Speed
- Heat Index
- Dewpoint
- Density Altitude
- Pressure Altitude
- Cumuliform Cloud Base
- Temperature from PA and DA
- METARs
- TAFs
- International Weather
Navigation:
- Climb Gradient to Climb Rate
- Course, Ground Speed, Wind Correction Angle
- Course/Distance from 2 Lat/Lon Coords (GPS or manual entry!)
- Critical Point
- Distance from Time & Ground Speed
- Heading, Ground Speed, Wind Correction Angle
- Leg Calculator
- Rate and Radius of Turn
- Rate of Descent
- Required Ground Speed
- Runway Crosswind with Gusts
- True Airspeed, Density Altitude, Pressure Altitude
- Time En-route
- True Airspeed (Rule of Thumb)
- Wind Star
- Airports (AirNav.com)
- Global Airport Data
- Global Navaids
- NOTAMs (TFRs from NIFC)
Fuel:
- Endurance
- Flex Weight Take Off
- Fuel Burn
- Fuel Rate
- Fuel Uplift
- Fuel Volume to Weight
- Fuel Weight to Volume
- Point of No Return
Weight and Balance:
- Small Aircraft
- Medium aircraft
- Large aircraft (Coming soon)
MyLinks:
- Allows users to create links to helpful websites from within FlightPlan. Some useful sites may be specialized local airport and weather data sites for your country!
News:
- Gives users a way to check for any FlightPlan related news right from the software
User Guides:
- Documentation on advanced features of FlightPlan

Warmtoast
13th Apr 2009, 10:35
Slightly off thread, but see how someone has adapted their X-Box for car use, which means I suppose it won't be long before someone comes along and adapts it for use in an aircraft for those long and boring legs over the sea.

I doubt however that there are many X-Box aviation apps available yet!

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/X-BoxCar.jpg

clear to land
13th Apr 2009, 13:45
The iwizwheel App is available on the iTunes store (at $AU29.95). Note that I bought it from the Aussie iTunes store, but imagine it would be avail in all, Note spelling is with one 'z' .Cheers and happy iPhoneing!!:D

mad eng
13th Apr 2009, 15:48
Ability to see ones self on the screen using the video call camera. Eliminates the need for two winged master race to:
1 Get out of seat to use mirror facility to remined themselves how pretty they are (Multi)
2 Carry mirror in knee pad for same purpose (fastjet)

FlightTester
13th Apr 2009, 15:52
I love it - 84 so far, my 14 year old has managed 97 - potential SATCO in the making there I'm thinking.

FTE:ok:

Pudnucker
13th Apr 2009, 22:33
tried the artificial horizon app at 6k above dorset on Saturday. Vibration seemed to affect the internal sensors in the phone - a 60 degree turn was unregistered.. mates comment of "this may get us out of the sh*t one day" was quickly retracted!!

The Wizwheel app seems really good though

JAR FCL
14th Apr 2009, 11:16
97 Crikey! I think I've done well on 50 . . .

MostlyHarmless
14th Apr 2009, 13:09
Scraped up to 71 now. Could the magic Ton be achievable?

Top Bunk Tester
14th Apr 2009, 14:28
Sorry to burst the bubble but managed a 209 last night, only lost there cause my thumb was in the way.

FlightTester
14th Apr 2009, 17:20
Gentlemen, I think we have a winner!:D:D:ok:

JAR 1.0175
14th Apr 2009, 19:19
I was feeling smug as I had beated Mrs JAR with my 64, obviously require more practice.

AdamC
14th Apr 2009, 20:33
Just purchased Pilot's Toolbox and it's one of the best apps out there!

Shame I only have a iPod touch but it's handy at airfields with wifi :)

I cannot get anymore than 28 on Flightcontrol, I keep sending choppers into jets - I won't pursue a career in ATC then!

MostlyHarmless
14th Apr 2009, 20:36
managed a 209 last night

I demand documentary evidence as my right under EU law.

Top Bunk Tester
14th Apr 2009, 21:13
Will try and post a photo for you to back up my claim.

Tiger_mate
14th Apr 2009, 21:24
Good thread: Lots of new toys to play with. :ok:

iPod Touch & Bose QC3 headphones are essential detachment survival equipment and should be issued by the MoD to everyone OOA. That would boost morale for about 2 mins which is 10 seconds more than Maglights did a few years ago.

US President Obama must agree, for he gave HM QE II an iTouch as a prezzie at their meeting recently.

AdamC
14th Apr 2009, 21:30
Bose QC3 headphone

Are they really worth £150?

Chris Griffin
14th Apr 2009, 22:05
if you can get them for £150 snap them up - usually £300 and only pretty crappy ones on the bay of e

AdamC
14th Apr 2009, 23:51
Saw them in a local shop the other day and was considering, but £150 put me off. I think I might have to just invest in some :ok:

AngryDave
15th Apr 2009, 17:27
369 was set today in a very bored crewroom.

MostlyHarmless
15th Apr 2009, 18:48
Oooh Ahhh! Just call me SATCO

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/5643/highscore.jpg

Actually. Please don't!

Top Bunk Tester
15th Apr 2009, 19:37
I humbly bow :D

Tiger_mate
15th Apr 2009, 19:42
Bose QC3 headphone

£245 Tax Free from BHX, about £275 from Bose direct, and stupid money "Tax free" from USD$ & Euro (Dutch) based OOA Px'.

These are the noise cancelling ones, recently (sucessfully) tested with a hovering Chinook nearby. Cost a lot, but earn their keep and most parts are individually replaceable if a drama should occur.

Link: BoseQC3 (http://www.bose.co.uk/GB/en/home-entertainment/personal-audio/headphones/acoustic-noise-cancelling-headphones/qc3/index.jsp)

Lima Juliet
15th Apr 2009, 19:56
http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/5528/highscorev.jpg

The beauty of photoshop...:E

Top Bunk Tester
15th Apr 2009, 21:06
Mostly Harmless

I should have looked more closely at the 552, you sir, are a cad! :mad:

Although with regard to my earlier post wrt my high score of 209, I have to apologise as that figure is incorrect............it's now 223.

MostlyHarmless
16th Apr 2009, 11:20
I object most strongly. It was MSPaint, not Photoshop. :}

/me doffs his cap to TBT and AD